Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Hmmmm, reading the thread with interest. I gave up full time lorry driving earlier this year when I manged to be part of the M1 being closed for 15mins at peak rush hour. That accident was the iceing on the cake due to a pillock of a car driver who hadn't got road sense or forward planning and had the same attitude as you. Take up Nos on his offer and see the world from our perspective. If not get down off your moral high horse. The 'other driver' still has there job and life, me, well im scratching around trying to make a new career. Nice to see you have a broad minded opinion (not).

From one EX trucker to a current one, keep up the good work Nos. I for one appreciate ya
Bloody hell. I didn't realise that was why you changed jobs.

Cheers-and merry Xmas!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 00:33   #62

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Me personally,

I'm really glad I'm a shift worker and don't have to drive on Britains crappy roads during peak times. From the way this thread is going it would appear that most people aren't happy with the roads for one reason or another.
Having said that I have noticed over the last few months more and more lorries driving on the back roads I use (The government still calls them A roads though), earlier and earlier. Is this something to do with SatNavs or is it because there are more lorries on the road or are they starting work earlier. I'm on the road at 0530 hrs.
Or is it that most of us poor suckers that work have to put in more hours just to support those who can't be bothered to work and are on the benefits gravy train !!!
Old 24 December 2006, 00:35   #63
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I don't understand why driving in fog is so tricky.

2. If you can see a car behind you, you don't need your rear fog lamps on (unless it's foggy mate innit)
Actually No.

It's a lot easier to see headlights in a rear-view mirror than a set of rear lights ahead of you-the beam's more focused. you can call it either way as to whether to use foglights or not-depending on how close the car behind is. I suspect you know that though.

Old 24 December 2006, 00:36   #64

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I was taught to be a defensive driver......So you're all bloody maniacs on the road

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 00:36   #65

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, but the situation is that the tailgating lorries effectively closed the motorway exit. The rain was a very heavy shower, and if I'd either braked extremely hard, or carried on driving at 70mph, I would have been stupid in the conditions. What I did was to come off the gas and slow to a more reasonable 60-ish which meant that it took me a long time to pass the lorries, and miss the exit. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but what concerns me is that not every car driver may have acted in a pragmatic manner in this situation.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2006, 00:39   #66
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Me personally,

I'm really glad I'm a shift worker and don't have to drive on Britains crappy roads during peak times. From the way this thread is going it would appear that most people aren't happy with the roads for one reason or another.
Having said that I have noticed over the last few months more and more lorries driving on the back roads I use (The government still calls them A roads though), earlier and earlier. Is this something to do with SatNavs or is it because there are more lorries on the road or are they starting work earlier. I'm on the road at 0530 hrs.
Or is it that most of us poor suckers that work have to put in more hours just to support those who can't be bothered to work and are on the benefits gravy train !!!
Christmas rush starts at the end of August for shops and warehouses and the earlier the delivery gets there the better-there's only a limited amount of hours in the day. It'll probably get quieter in January.

Foreign trucks around on back roads is more likely to do with Satnav.

I suspect your last comment is unfortunately a bit too close to the mark for the government to admit it...

Old 24 December 2006, 00:42   #67

To get back on Topic

When I was working in Brazil several years ago I was staying in Santos and working in Sao Pualo. The drive from Sao Paulo was quite a hilly desent to the coast and would fog up quite a bit. So much so that occasionally the Police would stop cars at the checkpoint for 10 mins to build a que of traffic and then set off on a Convoy at 5/10mph, it took 2.5hours to get down the hill, the object here was to tailgate as it was the safest way to travel.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 December 2006, 00:42   #68
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, but the situation is that the tailgating lorries effectively closed the motorway exit. The rain was a very heavy shower, and if I'd either braked extremely hard, or carried on driving at 70mph, I would have been stupid in the conditions. What I did was to come off the gas and slow to a more reasonable 60-ish which meant that it took me a long time to pass the lorries, and miss the exit. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but what concerns me is that not every car driver may have acted in a pragmatic manner in this situation.
Fair comment.

Has it occured to you that the 'lead' lorry may have come off the gas too because of the sudden shower-causing those who were behind to bunch up as they slowed?
Even if they were originally travelling at a safe distance it takes a while to correct without slamming on the brakes and causing chaos behind you.

Old 24 December 2006, 00:44   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
the Police would stop cars at the checkpoint for 10 mins to build a que of traffic and then set off on a Convoy at 5/10mph..
Similar thing happened a few years agon on the A5 in North Wales! But that was due to a risk from flooding and subsidence.
Old 24 December 2006, 00:45   #70

Quote:
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, .
Did you take a photo

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 December 2006, 00:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Has it occured to you that the 'lead' lorry may have come off the gas too because of the sudden shower-causing those who were behind to bunch up as they slowed?
Even if they were originally travelling at a safe distance it takes a while to correct without slamming on the brakes and causing chaos behind you.
Sure... but it's slightly uphill if I remember correctly (after the big bridge).

In theory, the drivers should have planned in advance, and if you feel that you're too close to the vehicle in front, you've got two choices - one involves the brake pedal, and the other one starts with mirror, signal...
Old 24 December 2006, 00:51   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Did you take a photo
No I bloody well didn't! I'm not getting the camera/phone out at speed on wet, unfamiliar motorway! That photo earlier was taken as the lorry had been tailgating me for some while. I had gently accelerated away each time, but it was a bit like that film where the ghostly truck follows a car across the Nevada desert.... is that "Vanishing point"?
Old 24 December 2006, 00:51   #73

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Personally I'd like to see Lorries (7.5 ton or over) banned from B roads, villages, and areas of outstanding natural beauty.

There are very few reasons for vehicles of that size to go on these roads and most of these journeys could be made by vans etc. But only vans that drove sensibly and didn't block the road everywhere they park.

If it meant an increase in prices to maintain some sort of peace then I for one would be prepared to pay for it.

Likewise even though I own a 4 x 4 I would be quite happy to see them banned from town centres.
Old 24 December 2006, 00:52   #74

Quote:
even though I own a 4 x 4 I would be quite happy to see them banned from town centres.
Interesting idea!
Old 24 December 2006, 00:54   #75
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Sure... but it's slightly uphill if I remember correctly (after the big bridge).

In theory, the drivers should have planned in advance, and if you feel that you're too close to the vehicle in front, you've got two choices - one involves the brake pedal, and the other one starts with mirror, signal...
Wait for gap as Richard B drives past at 4mph faster than you then maybe pull out if there isn't a string of morons tailgating him by then because they must get 10 feet further even if it kills them...

I'm not saying you did anything wrong here-from a car driver's POV. What I AM saying is that your point of view in a truck is a LOT different and you're not necessarily aware of what they need to do to make yours AND their life easier.

BTW, you're right. It's uphill there. The last thing you want to do in a truck while going up a hill is brake.

Old 24 December 2006, 00:55   #76

Quote:

Likewise even though I own a 4 x 4 I would be quite happy to see them banned from town centres.
Why? My Kia is smaller that loads of saloon cars and nearly every Estate cars. We even pay more revenue to government for the privelige of running a 4x4.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 December 2006, 00:59   #77
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Personally I'd like to see Lorries (7.5 ton or over) banned from B roads, villages, and areas of outstanding natural beauty.

There are very few reasons for vehicles of that size to go on these roads and most of these journeys could be made by vans etc. But only vans that drove sensibly and didn't block the road everywhere they park.

If it meant an increase in prices to maintain some sort of peace then I for one would be prepared to pay for it.

Hate to say it Nick but we only go to places like that if we have no other option. They are a pain in the arse to drive a truck through narrow roads and villages. It takes up to 30 vans to carry the contents of one artic so even more congestion...

Old 24 December 2006, 01:00   #78

Quote:
...because they must get 10 feet further even if it kills them...
Yep, that's sorta the crux of it isn't it.
Old 24 December 2006, 01:07   #79
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Yep, that's sorta the crux of it isn't it.
Yep...

(shoulda said this in prev post) In that situation unfortunately if you're in a truck and you brake going uphill you become an obstruction and a hazard because you shed speed so fast going uphill.
Letting your foot off the throttle a little is usually enough-but that comes with the pitfall of no brake lights-so the guy behind closes up before he realises you've slowed.

Old 24 December 2006, 01:09   #80

Quote:
What I AM saying is that your point of view in a truck is a LOT different and you're not necessarily aware of what they need to do to make yours AND their life easier.
Sure... you only have to hire a van for a weekend to realise that exiting lane 1 isn't as straightforward... the loud pedal just don't work as quick, and there's no mercy from the moronic middle - lane hoggers. But many of us car drivers do think about what's happening arond us - but even an alert and considerate car driver will need nearly three seconds to do mirror, signal, check blind spot, then start the manoevure.