Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 December 2006, 20:32   #61
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Hmmmm, reading the thread with interest. I gave up full time lorry driving earlier this year when I manged to be part of the M1 being closed for 15mins at peak rush hour. That accident was the iceing on the cake due to a pillock of a car driver who hadn't got road sense or forward planning and had the same attitude as you. Take up Nos on his offer and see the world from our perspective. If not get down off your moral high horse. The 'other driver' still has there job and life, me, well im scratching around trying to make a new career. Nice to see you have a broad minded opinion (not).

From one EX trucker to a current one, keep up the good work Nos. I for one appreciate ya
Bloody hell. I didn't realise that was why you changed jobs.

Cheers-and merry Xmas!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:33   #62
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Me personally,

I'm really glad I'm a shift worker and don't have to drive on Britains crappy roads during peak times. From the way this thread is going it would appear that most people aren't happy with the roads for one reason or another.
Having said that I have noticed over the last few months more and more lorries driving on the back roads I use (The government still calls them A roads though), earlier and earlier. Is this something to do with SatNavs or is it because there are more lorries on the road or are they starting work earlier. I'm on the road at 0530 hrs.
Or is it that most of us poor suckers that work have to put in more hours just to support those who can't be bothered to work and are on the benefits gravy train !!!
__________________

__________________
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:35   #63
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I don't understand why driving in fog is so tricky.

2. If you can see a car behind you, you don't need your rear fog lamps on (unless it's foggy mate innit)
Actually No.

It's a lot easier to see headlights in a rear-view mirror than a set of rear lights ahead of you-the beam's more focused. you can call it either way as to whether to use foglights or not-depending on how close the car behind is. I suspect you know that though.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:36   #64
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
I was taught to be a defensive driver......So you're all bloody maniacs on the road
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:36   #65
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, but the situation is that the tailgating lorries effectively closed the motorway exit. The rain was a very heavy shower, and if I'd either braked extremely hard, or carried on driving at 70mph, I would have been stupid in the conditions. What I did was to come off the gas and slow to a more reasonable 60-ish which meant that it took me a long time to pass the lorries, and miss the exit. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but what concerns me is that not every car driver may have acted in a pragmatic manner in this situation.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:39   #66
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Me personally,

I'm really glad I'm a shift worker and don't have to drive on Britains crappy roads during peak times. From the way this thread is going it would appear that most people aren't happy with the roads for one reason or another.
Having said that I have noticed over the last few months more and more lorries driving on the back roads I use (The government still calls them A roads though), earlier and earlier. Is this something to do with SatNavs or is it because there are more lorries on the road or are they starting work earlier. I'm on the road at 0530 hrs.
Or is it that most of us poor suckers that work have to put in more hours just to support those who can't be bothered to work and are on the benefits gravy train !!!
Christmas rush starts at the end of August for shops and warehouses and the earlier the delivery gets there the better-there's only a limited amount of hours in the day. It'll probably get quieter in January.

Foreign trucks around on back roads is more likely to do with Satnav.

I suspect your last comment is unfortunately a bit too close to the mark for the government to admit it...
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:42   #67
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
To get back on Topic

When I was working in Brazil several years ago I was staying in Santos and working in Sao Pualo. The drive from Sao Paulo was quite a hilly desent to the coast and would fog up quite a bit. So much so that occasionally the Police would stop cars at the checkpoint for 10 mins to build a que of traffic and then set off on a Convoy at 5/10mph, it took 2.5hours to get down the hill, the object here was to tailgate as it was the safest way to travel.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:42   #68
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, but the situation is that the tailgating lorries effectively closed the motorway exit. The rain was a very heavy shower, and if I'd either braked extremely hard, or carried on driving at 70mph, I would have been stupid in the conditions. What I did was to come off the gas and slow to a more reasonable 60-ish which meant that it took me a long time to pass the lorries, and miss the exit. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but what concerns me is that not every car driver may have acted in a pragmatic manner in this situation.
Fair comment.

Has it occured to you that the 'lead' lorry may have come off the gas too because of the sudden shower-causing those who were behind to bunch up as they slowed?
Even if they were originally travelling at a safe distance it takes a while to correct without slamming on the brakes and causing chaos behind you.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:44   #69
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
the Police would stop cars at the checkpoint for 10 mins to build a que of traffic and then set off on a Convoy at 5/10mph..
Similar thing happened a few years agon on the A5 in North Wales! But that was due to a risk from flooding and subsidence.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 20:45   #70
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
The 14 lorries is an eatimate - didn't have time to count them, .
Did you take a photo
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.