Old 28 May 2009, 22:10   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Discovery upgrade advice TDI to what?

A few years ago we bought a N plate Discovery TDI (after consulting the forum here) which my wife uses for travel to work and towing a horse box, when called on it is also superb for towing/launching the boat.
The time has come for an upgrade, my wife loves the discovery so I would like to stick to a disco. It has to be automatic and as ecomonical as possible.
If you had about 10K to spend what would you go for? what should I avoid? any advice gratefully accepted.
Old 28 May 2009, 22:49   #2

Town: Shrewsbury
Boat name: Pepsea
Make: Tohatsu 6.6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150
Disco or what ?

Having spent 10 years working for Landrover and having a similar situation myself I bought a Shogun in fact I am on my second !!

I am Landrover through and through but the simple fact is the later tdi's and TD5 in my opinion are a nightmare without warranty's and could cost you a fortune just keeping it on the road. in fact there was a time LR did not used to offer warranty on anything older than 5 years

It was purely the fact that Japanese vehicles (electronics etc) just seam to be far more reliable (look at the japanese out boards for example) As mine is only now used as a tow truck my current LWB shogun 2.8 with Leather A/C cruise control etc etc was bought for £3000 granted It had done 100k but does not put a foot wrong and because it was a year 2000 is still only £190 year road fund licence. everything still works spot on. My last shogun was 1993 import I only swapped that because it was a 2.5 TD and I wanted the 2.8 Turbo intercooler. 10k would buy you something really Nice - I would half the budget buy something reliable and not worry about the fuel consumption because you bought it right

All just my opinion - there are plenty of back to back road tests out on he web
Old 28 May 2009, 23:58   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Well I bought a later tdi without a warrenty and it never lets me down!!! It tows far better than a mitsubishi and more weight.

For 10K you will get a very nice TD5 Discovery 2. You will get one of the last of them. I had one on lease for a while and loved it to bits.

Off road it's prob the best ever made - still got beam axles but still pretty good on road - much better than a Discovery1.

The ideal choice is a GS 7 seater. No ACE but still handles very well but less to go wrong and better axle articulation. The 7 seater gives you air suspension at the rear. You get traction control and hill decent control.

Buy from a main dealer - they give good guarantees and also their prices seem better than most these days!!!

http://www.stratstone.com/vehiclesea...discovery.html

In fact for £10499 they have the very model - in silver with 51,000 miles - 2003 year!!!
Old 29 May 2009, 00:07   #4

Just looked and you can get a Discovery 3 for £10,000 at auction

http://www.brightwellsauctions.co.uk...ultsrecent.asp

But of course no warrenty. I am a firm believer in buying the last of a model rather than the 1st of the next generation.
Old 29 May 2009, 01:31   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am a firm believer in buying the last of a model rather than the 1st of the next generation.
Me too. The D3s are just about settling down now but the first couple of years were awful.

I have a 2002 D2 and in the seven years I have had it, I've had few problems - mine's a V8 but the Td5s aren't a lot different, there are a few problems that crop up but none of them are expensive to sort out and there is plenty of help around - www.lr4x4.com is a site I am a moderator on and generally regarded as one of the best for technical help. The V8 auto is lovely but horribly expensive to run - though they are also cheaper to buy so its swings and roundabouts really. I don't like the Td5 auto, try one before you buy one. Mileage is nothing much to be afraid of with the Td5 engine in fact they seem to thrive on a bit of punishment and the ones that give trouble are the low-milers that potter round town and never get hot.

There is nothing wrong with the Jap vehicles - personally I would buy a Prado over a Pajero/Shogun - but I just think they are boring, like driving round in a fridge or microwave.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 03:11   #6

I don't normally like diesel autos but the Discovery 2 I had was fine. They remapped the chip on the engine on later ones to compensate for extra drag - or so I was told.

It really was awesome offroad and very smooth on road.

Compared to an auto 200/300tdi it will feel like a rocket ship!!!
Old 29 May 2009, 07:14   #7

Town: Shrewsbury
Boat name: Pepsea
Make: Tohatsu 6.6m
Engine: Mariner 150
Disco

At the end of the day - you pays your money and takes your choice !!

LR sold plenty of the Disco's and there were plenty of very loyal owners but having had 7 as company cars my view may have been some what tainted, but I am very happy with my current choice - It is down to your own preference and experiences
Old 29 May 2009, 07:20   #8

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
What about Nissan?

Hi,

have you looked at the Nissan Pathfinder?

I have always had LR - Series 2, 3 (x2), Disco and Range Rover Classic (which i still regret having sold). The latter were always second /tow cars so realiability didn't awlays matter so much...........I love landys, but wouldn't have wanted to rely on any of mine as main means of transport - possibly due to their age etc. However, for the last 4 years have been driving a Jeep WJ (Grand Cherokee) on LPG. Love it, but it's just beginning to show it's age and so have been looking around.

The Pathfinder is my current favourite option. Japanese Reliability, Loads of space (7 seats), and is a proper off roader whilst being relatively comfortable etc on road. Good vfm too IMO.

Might be worth a look. Although Auto's are slightly harder to come by than the Manual's (Auto would be my preference too).

Dan
Old 29 May 2009, 14:52   #9

I took the Disoc 2 onto Gap Road in the Beacons and various roman roads - it coped no problem at all - made it look so easy. My mates Amazon grounded out twice and he refused to go any further as did a Shogun.

The pics don't really do it justice. The quad bike was stuck and another Disco had to tow him out - it's a lot steeper than it looks.

Of course my Defender is better again offroad but the Discovery 2 was also used for a lot of motorway work and was just so relaxing to drive. Not many vehicles can combine the both so well.

I have leased/hired loads of cars - this is one of the very few I really didn't want to give back!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012 (Large).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	42817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0041 (Large).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	42819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0090 (Large).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	42820   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0115 (Large).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	42821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008 (Large).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	42823  

Old 29 May 2009, 22:10   #10

Thanks for the advice guys. I am sure it will end up being a disco, my wife has loved the tdi and is heart set on a newer one,. They seem to be the vehicle of choice for towing horseboxes so she has loads of confidence in them. If I get a sniff of one that fits the bill I will let you know. I liked the look of the one that codders posted the stratsone link to but its in yorkshire which is too far for me to go and look and whilst I know they will transport it if I commit to buy I would rather see it first.
Codders- nice pics of the off-roading, one question why does it look like a toy dog is driving?
Old 30 May 2009, 00:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I am sure it will end up being a disco, my wife has loved the tdi and is heart set on a newer one,. They seem to be the vehicle of choice for towing horseboxes so she has loads of confidence in them. If I get a sniff of one that fits the bill I will let you know. I liked the look of the one that codders posted the stratsone link to but its in yorkshire which is too far for me to go and look and whilst I know they will transport it if I commit to buy I would rather see it first.
Codders- nice pics of the off-roading, one question why does it look like a toy dog is driving?
That was my ex girlfriends doing - she insisted I took it everywhere!!!
Old 11 June 2009, 20:46   #12

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Get a Disco3 there great check this site out for all the info http://www.disco3.co.uk/
Old 11 June 2009, 21:23   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'm looking fot a Donor Disco to rebuild my 85 110 power train and engine. When your's ready to move it let me know.

My 88 pajero 2.5 goes like a train, never misses a beat. I love landies but just for emotive reasons wouldn't use anythin other than a jap for everyday use
Old 11 June 2009, 23:22   #14

To be fair my Discovery had the cheek to break down yesterday!!! The expansion tank bottle split along one of it's seams - cost me £26 for a new one - fitted it outside the LR parts place.

Annoying thing was the new tank was a fraction out on the lugs so had to enlarge the mountig holes with a knife - 20 min job took me about 45 mins.

Still it's the 1st time it has ever almost stranded me.
Old 12 June 2009, 06:40   #15

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
If thats you driving in that second picture codders .. I now realise after many years ... that you are actually a King Charles Spaniel
Old 12 June 2009, 07:02   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
If thats you driving in that second picture codders .. I now realise after many years ... that you are actually a King Charles Spaniel
Don't be like that, it's the ex
Old 12 June 2009, 15:24   #17

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Autotrader

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2009, 02:13   #18

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Don't be like that, it's the ex

Whoa! rough crowd!

Check out a diesel Nissan Patrol GU or even an older GQ if you can find one with low Kms

Last month I purchased a 20 year old GQ 4.2 L diesel with only 82,000 km (recently imported from Japan). It is a superb vehicle. The closest thing to it would be an 80 series Landcruiser, but the Patrol has beefier front axle & steering components and a more trouble free diesel engine than the 80 series Landcruiser has.

As far as body styling goes, the GQ is probably the only 4x4 out there that is almost as stylish as a Defender.
Old 30 June 2009, 19:47   #19

Time for an update - thanks for the advice so far guys. It has been decided by she who must be obeyed that it will definately be a Disco. It now appears likely though that it will be a Disco 3 definately a diesel and definately automatic. Any more info help or tips of what to look out for and/or avoid gratefully recieved. Great website link already posted (cheers) but so much info it is a bit overwhelming.
Cheers
Old 30 June 2009, 19:59   #20

Don't get too early a one - avoid the niggles all new products have - and I would def buy from a main dealer with a good warrenty. again Stratstones seem to have good prices - a lot less than many corner garages!!!