Old 04 December 2007, 03:29   #1

Town: Hampshire
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 6m +
Disco fuel consumption and "egr removal"

I've had a 300tdi Discovery (auto) for about four months now. Over the last few weeks I've been seriously thinking about replacing it simply because the fuel consumption is so horrendous. I'm presently getting around 20mpg on a good day - careful motorway runs don't seem to improve this much either. With diesel being the price it is at the moment it's costing me a fortune. Anyway, I was reading around and I became aware of this EGR thingy which recycles the exhaust air and ends up clogging up your engine with gunk. I've just ordered an EGR blanking plate kit which will apparently let me block off the EGR.

I know there are quite a few people on here with 300tdis. What sort of consumption figures do you guys get? Has anyone blocked off their EGR, did it make a difference? I've also read that to make it worth wile you need to clean out the intake and inter cooler. Is this a massive undertaking?

Old 04 December 2007, 03:34   #2
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
What sort of consumption figures do you guys get?
Between about 26 around town, and 30-32 if I do a lot of motorway runs. I'm quite surprised yours is so 'low'. I tend to get 500-600 miles to a full tank of diesel. (88 litres, and I usually put between 80 and 88(!) into her when I fill up).

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Has anyone blocked off their EGR, did it make a difference?
Mine was blocked by the previous owner, so possibly.

Old 04 December 2007, 03:38   #3

I get about 400/50 max from a full tank.

Where abouts is the EGR?
Old 04 December 2007, 03:40   #4
RIBnet supporter

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/Mod...r_300TDi.shtml
Old 04 December 2007, 03:45   #5

Arrr perfect. I'll have a go at that later. Just need to get the bloody thing started now.
Old 04 December 2007, 04:31   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Tim, overall about 28mpg. EGR is still in place. The EGR does not recirculate through the intercooler and the air from the turbo to the intercooler has passed through the air filter so I don't understand the advice about cleaning the intercooler in relation to the EGR. Your intercooler is probably ok but to give it a wee check take off the top hose which connects the intercooler with the inlet manifold. Get a torch and look into the hose connecting pipe to see how it looks. It's bound to be a tad oily and black. If it's very oily and so is the top hose oily, your turbo seals are knackered and passing oil.

The first check for your poor fuel consumption is the air filter. Also, starting should be instantaneous.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:35   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I blanked the EGR on my L200 and it transformed the thing, a mate did the same to his Disco 300 TDI and reckoned it made no difference. He wound the injector pump back a tad and gets 26/28 average,30 on a run.
Old 04 December 2007, 10:05   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I blanked the EGR on my L200 and it transformed the thing, a mate did the same to his Disco 300 TDI and reckoned it made no difference. He wound the injector pump back a tad and gets 26/28 average,30 on a run.
I agree - I blanked off my EGR valve on my 300tdi and it didn't help - it does stop crap getting into the intercooler though.

Turning the screw on the pump made a hell of a difference though. Far more power AND better economy. Some late autos had a chip though.

Having said that diesel and autos are a poor match. I had a TD5 auto that wopuld only do about 20mpg as well. It could be the price of fuel has fooled him into thinking the economy is down. A jouney that cost me 20 not long ago is now costing me 30 - good old government - only 72p tax per litre..........
Old 04 December 2007, 10:41   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
...- it does stop crap getting into the intercooler though.
How does it do that, Codders? Serious question.
Old 04 December 2007, 10:54   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: SKYEHOUND
Make: Humber 8.5 Offshore
Engine: KAD44 EDC
MMSI: 235050357
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
The EGR just takes some of the exhaust gases and send them round again .I dont think they go into the intercooler. My 300 auto would do 400 on a tank and very little more even with carefull driving . Try some additives they do work and may help clean it up a bit .What milaeage has it done and how was it driven before . Diesels like a beasting so it may be a little clogged up from previous owner. If it is a fly by wire throttle you can get a tuning box but it made little difference to mine .