Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 May 2008, 19:14   #11
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Andy

Send Mark Halliday a PM, he runs one.

I remember when he brought it he did some quite indepth calcs surrounding the fact he only does about 2.5K miles a year and should break even against the purchase price of a diesel in about 10 years!

I've done some rough work looking at a 4.7V8 landcruiser instead of a 4.2TD, and at 16K miles a year will catch up on overall cost at @3years

Nasher.
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 19:24   #12
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Andy

Send Mark Halliday a PM, he runs one.

I remember when he brought it he did some quite indepth calcs surrounding the fact he only does about 2.5K miles a year and should break even against the purchase price of a diesel in about 10 years!

I've done some rough work looking at a 4.7V8 landcruiser instead of a 4.2TD, and at 16K miles a year will catch up on overall cost at @3years

Nasher.
I guess what you're saying is the lower price of a petrol Disco against the higher purchase price of the Diesel. Yes?
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 19:52   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
I've had 2 v8 Rangies. The 3.5 got as much as 19mpg on the motorway and 12-14 pulling a transit van the length of the country. The other was a 3.9lt and did 18mpg on the motorway and about the same as the 3.5 when towing. I guess the 4lt will be about the same as these two. I actually found the v8 not to be a great engine for towing. It needs to be revved to produce power. The 3.9 auto also changed up a gear at about 50mph but if on even a slight upward incline and towing it couldn't sustain that gear and changed down again only to accelerate and do it over again...and again.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 22:56   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I've had 2 v8 Rangies. The 3.5 got as much as 19mpg on the motorway and 12-14 pulling a transit van the length of the country. The other was a 3.9lt and did 18mpg on the motorway and about the same as the 3.5 when towing. I guess the 4lt will be about the same as these two. I actually found the v8 not to be a great engine for towing. It needs to be revved to produce power. The 3.9 auto also changed up a gear at about 50mph but if on even a slight upward incline and towing it couldn't sustain that gear and changed down again only to accelerate and do it over again...and again.
That's why you change gear manually with an auto box when towing............
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 23:20   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
That's why you change gear manually with an auto box when towing............
Yup. I learnt that the hard way and it was going down hill. Dropped about 3000 ft. in 5 miles with a heavy camping trailer, and only used the brakes. Well they burnt out and boiled. New pads, new fluid etc. etc. Won't do that again.
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 03:08   #16
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
back to certification of LPG installations for a moment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
You can either have someone examine your installation and give you a certificate or some people who supply the kit will do it for you but they aren't cheap. I don't think you HAVE to have one anyway.
Legally I guess you do what you want with your own vehicle within the construction and use laws, but insuring, and then years down the line selling the vehicle may prove impossible without the certificate: http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/driver_industry/Insurance.htm
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 05:23   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
That's why you change gear manually with an auto box when towing............
An easy comment, Codders but consider it carefully and then explain how that will work.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 05:32   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
...Legally I guess you do what you want with your own vehicle within the construction and use laws, but insuring, and then years down the line selling the vehicle may prove impossible without the certificate..
You've turned into a bit of a doom and gloom merchant recently Richard.

Smile!
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 05:36   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What is it in real terms?
18mpg at very worst, 20mpg on average, 22mpg at best

My 3.5vg shogun is 12 mpgat worst, 16mpg on everage and 18mpg engine off rolling


Jono
__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 08:39   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
An easy comment, Codders but consider it carefully and then explain how that will work.
I have always driven autos like a clutchless manual. When you are driving fast on a roundabout in the wet the last thing you want is the engine to change gear when you don't want it to. Same goes for towing. You just lock the box down a gear or 2 to stop it hunting.

Going down hills again you change down to give some engine braking but it is less than a manual.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.