Old 08 May 2007, 22:14   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My mate ended up selling poor Monty(109 series III) as his wife's back couldn't take it. Didn't help the sill old bugger was running around with 45psi in all the tyres - I tried to explain you only needed that sort of pressure if you were carrying a wombat but he wouldn't listen to me!!! He paid £900 for it and sold it for £1600 - not bad.

Lightweights are great but hold their money very well.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:05   #22

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
I’m on something like my 12th LR product, so you might say that I have a "soft spot" for Solihull's finest...and you'd be right. I love 'em.... but....
I still, currently, have a 110 Defender on the “fleet” which has only done about 70 K miles. It costs a feckin' fortune in maintenance to keep it looking and driving right. You have to look at the surface rust underneath the beggars and factor in the cost of having the underside cleaned off and repainted and sealed. I simply don’t have the time or inclination to do the work myself anymore, so servicing is not cheap. Dampers and bushes need replacing far more frequently than most people do, if you want to ensure that the ride doesn’t become too vague or clunky. Oil leaks? I’ve had a few…. Rusty fastners? Yup... Paint falls off rear cross-member? Check... Leaks? Well, you know about those..Want to know how much an injector costs, when they go?
Noisy, cramped, slow, under powered and not the best build quality……. But…. It has oodles of “character” and I still keep the fecka on the fleet despite the cost! It is my first choice to use if we have a shitty site to get to or a towing job.
Would I buy another? No, I wouldn’t. LR treats Defender owners as second class citizens and it pisses me off. I’d buy another Landcruiser Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0718 (Small).JPG
Views:	237
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	26730  
Old 09 May 2007, 09:39   #23

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Agree with all so far, if I had the cash to buy a nearly new LR110 I probably wouldnt, I'd go for the refinement of the japanese vehicle you are used to or the the newer Discos. If you fancy fun go for an older "cheaper" 110 but expect to regualrly hose it off with parts and money. My V8 3.5 did about 10mpg towing our 5.5 metre Delta, interestingly my previous badly tuned 4.6 did about 13mpg on the same run. Will see what the new 4.6 returns with its more efficient set up when I fit it.

Landrovers you love and you hate them
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 10:48   #24

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
yep, agree as well, don't think I'd be tempted by a newer Defender, certainly as an everyday car. I have an 1988 110 V8 which is great, reliable for its age and really cheap parts if required. It does all I want, will carry 12 people a 4 piece rock band with full PA and amps (its then referred to as the Band Rover!) carry bags of sand and cement, cope with 3 very wet muddy springers, 3 lads wearing wet wetsuits and move caravans around the park all day everyday with no hassle. Having said all that I then jump in my wifes Disco 3 and go 'wow!'. Best advice would be to try one.
Old 09 May 2007, 11:00   #25

Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I’d buy another Landcruiser Colorado.
Had a number of 4x4 over the years, and the Colorado will take some beating ( wish i had not got rid of it )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First Day 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	26733  
Old 09 May 2007, 11:07   #26

Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
I have an 1988 110 V8 which is great, reliable for its age and really cheap parts if required. It does all I want, will carry 12 people a 4 piece rock band with full PA and amps (its then referred to as the Band Rover!) carry bags of sand and cement, cope with 3 very wet muddy springers, 3 lads wearing wet wetsuits and move caravans around the park all day everyday with no hassle.
It does sound GREAT as well
Old 09 May 2007, 11:43   #27

Talking of Defenders the new one just out should cure many of the problems of the old one.

The biggest problem of all was the cramped interior. This was partly down to some old tax laws which gave VAT exemption for vehicles with 12 seats - hence the middle seat that was only suitable for a 5 yr old.

The new Defender is much the same as the old one with improved seating and comfort. It now has the new Transit engine and a 6 speed gearbox. Decent aircon and a load of other creature comforts.

They have now got rid of the flaps under the screen which is a damn shame. They had a marvelous use on dusty tracks. By opening the flaps in created an overpressure in the vehicle which stopped dust and sand coming in through the back door seals. It is all very well to say that if the rear door seals were better it wouldn't come in anyway because no matter what vehiclke the dust gets everywhere.
Old 09 May 2007, 15:21   #28

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Thanks all, some interesting comments.

My thoughts so far.

All my original concerns are well founded. Perhaps I should have just listened to the two gurus who gave me them. (You know who you are).

I must try to borrow one for a weekend.

Can I live at only 70MPH on the motorway, and not hear the finer points of ZZtop ?

If I did end up with one it would need to be quite new, and I’d end up getting it chipped.

I still like the look of them.
Nothing looks the same, except maybe a Hummer or M500 G-Wagon.
(Remember my mid-life crisis)

I still fancy being able to chuck wet boat gear, kids, engines etc in the back without worrying about the upholstery.

Perhaps I should just keep the Shogun, spend some money on it, and worry less about the upholstery as it gets older.

Or Perhaps I should look a a slightly older Amazon.

It would be the family ‘Second car’ as we’d upgrade Mrs Nashers Pug 206 to something like a Rav4, or even Focus.

By the end of the year I’ll be looking at something completely different.

I wonder if the engine bay would take a 4.2TD Toyota lump?

I wonder if the engine bay would take a TDV6 Disco III lump?

How long before TDV8 Range Rovers are a reasonable price second hand?

Nasher.
Old 09 May 2007, 15:40   #29

As far as refinement goes I would say a TD5 110 is no worse than my mates Warrior and better in many respects - leaf springs in this day and age......

I know you like tinkering with mechanical things so a 110 would be right up your street.
Old 09 May 2007, 17:17   #30

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I had one of these with a Toyota 4 litre turbo diesel in. Its the best landrover money can buy mainly cause its unique. We had the engine fitted to replace the old V8 that was in it.

Drove it round Morocco for several months when I was 22 with 3 mates. Best road trip ever.

Shame its now sat at my mates farm under a tarpaulin where its been for the last 10 years slowly rotting. One day I'll get it sorted and back on the road.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	26746   Click image for larger version

Name:	101b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	26747   Click image for larger version

Name:	101c.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	26749  
Old 09 May 2007, 17:41   #31

Turn it into a Judge Dredd one!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Judge_dread_3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	26750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Judge_dread_innen.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	26751  
Old 09 May 2007, 18:35   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
There was one of the original Judge Dredd landies for sale for ages in a car lot on the A329 near Reading. It even had the solid tyres from the film on it still. Looked like fun

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 19:28   #33

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Talking of Defenders the new one just out should cure many of the problems of the old one.

The biggest problem of all was the cramped interior. This was partly down to some old tax laws which gave VAT exemption for vehicles with 12 seats - hence the middle seat that was only suitable for a 5 yr old.

The new Defender is much the same as the old one with improved seating and comfort. It now has the new Transit engine and a 6 speed gearbox. Decent aircon and a load of other creature comforts.

They have now got rid of the flaps under the screen which is a damn shame. They had a marvelous use on dusty tracks. By opening the flaps in created an overpressure in the vehicle which stopped dust and sand coming in through the back door seals. It is all very well to say that if the rear door seals were better it wouldn't come in anyway because no matter what vehiclke the dust gets everywhere.

Hmmmm dont be too sure about there being more room. I am currently driving a 2007my 110 XS county with 200 miles on the clock now. It still has the same crammped driving position previous models had.

That said, the new engine and 6speed box are a real peach. You now have to keep an eye on the speedo And the strangest thing happened while going to work init this morning...............I had to turn the heater down, yes thats what I said, Down

Over all it's a massive improvment on defenders of the past. And proving popular
Old 09 May 2007, 20:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
There was one of the original Judge Dredd landies for sale for ages in a car lot on the A329 near Reading. It even had the solid tyres from the film on it still. Looked like fun

I know where there's one for sale much closer to home..... Oh it's the same one in Codders pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1414%20%28Small%29.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	26752  
Old 09 May 2007, 20:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Hmmmm dont be too sure about there being more room. I am currently driving a 2007my 110 XS county with 200 miles on the clock now. It still has the same crammped driving position previous models had.

That said, the new engine and 6speed box are a real peach. You now have to keep an eye on the speedo And the strangest thing happened while going to work init this morning...............I had to turn the heater down, yes thats what I said, Down

Over all it's a massive improvment on defenders of the past. And proving popular
I think they have made a major mistake with the lack of seats in them now. The 110 was used as a crew bus etc a lot by the constuction industry to shift loads of sweaty workers around the building sites. You used to be able to carry 11 people quite easily - with the individual seats etc what's it down to now?
Old 09 May 2007, 21:23   #36
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I know where there's one for sale much closer to home..... Oh it's the same one in Codders pics...
Just out of interest, how much? It can't be easy to put a value on something like that.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 21:32   #37

Quote:

Bloody hell what a coincidence!!!
Old 09 May 2007, 21:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Bloody hell what a coincidence!!!
Reckon I got me a stalker........................................... ................
Old 09 May 2007, 21:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
.....how much? ......
Make me an offer.....
Old 09 May 2007, 21:38   #40

Quote:
Reckon I got me a stalker........................................... ................
Nah don't think I would stoop as low as to phone up to see if you are telling the truth or not........

What other strange toys have you got tucked away then???