Old 16 April 2007, 21:17   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Dakar Rally 2008

< Edit: Split from this thread JK >

Quote:
Originally Posted by calum mckenzie View Post
I don't have the time to market them, due to getting organised to do next years Dakar race, ( yes I am mental doing it on a bike)
Good luck!

What will you be riding? Your CRF?

John
Old 17 April 2007, 08:42   #2

Town: Bishopton Scotland
Boat name: Seewizz
Make: Coastline 7.0mtr
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D3 160 SX
Dakar transport

Hi John you must have a third sense as yes I will probably be riding a Honda CRF450X although I am also looking at the KTM 525 as the Dakar bike kits are better developed.

Calum
Old 17 April 2007, 16:23   #3
Administrator

Are you going it alone? Or are you hooking up with RallyRaid or similar?

Keep us posted - it's always good to have a privateer to cheer on

John
Old 18 April 2007, 22:14   #4

Scotland to Dakar

Hi John
There are three of us and we will be using the services of Patsy Quick and her Rally assistance team, Patsy was the first British woman to make it to Dakar if anyone has the DVD, Race to Dakar with Charlie Boreman (Ewan MacGregors pal)they will see Patsy making it to the Finish.
We are hoping to raise a lot of money for the charity CHAS (childrens hospice association scotland) I will post when our web site goes live and anyone that wishes to donate to the charity will be able to so on line, also when the actual race starts people will be able to log on and follow our progress in real time during the race sections also there will be all the information about our sponsors with links to their web sites, all exciting stuff but the amount of work required is unbelievable just to get to the start in January.
We are still looking for sponsors as the cost is pretty high so if anyone wishes to get their company or even personaly involved please let me know and I will be able to discuss it with you.
Regards
Calum
Old 09 October 2007, 23:06   #5

Update for our Dakar race trip, the web site is now live please log on an have a look www.scotlandtodakar.com we have changed our bikes and are now using KTM 525 EXC machines

Calum
Old 10 October 2007, 07:08   #6
Administrator

Looks like it's all coming together. Hows the chase for sponsors going?

Do you need RIBnet stickers for the bikes?

John
Old 11 October 2007, 14:08   #7

Hi John, Sponsorship has been slow with a major company initially saying yes and due to various happenings in the financial markets has now decided not to be involved so what hair I had on my head is now gone so it's back to the drawing board and a new search for sponsors, yeah go on I will put ribnet stickers on the bikes if you want to send them up to me, I'm not sure if you have my address but it is on the web site.

Calum
Old 11 October 2007, 14:12   #8

John
I lied I should say it's not on the site, send me an email and I will send my address to you

Calum
Old 04 January 2008, 19:06   #9
Administrator

Ouch. Just heard that the 2008 Dakar has been cancelled at 24 hours notice:

Lisbon, Friday the 4th of January 2008

A.S.O. cancels the 2008 edition of the Dakar rally
After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal’s capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.’s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world’s biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.

I can only imagine how gutted Calum and the rest of the competitors must be . . .

John