Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
All the older LRs had the handbrake operating on all 4 wheels - I should imagine it's still the case.
I pulled the handbrake on one of those once and wrecked the transmission. Scarey and fun.
Old 03 October 2007, 02:36   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I pulled the handbrake on one of those once and wrecked the transmission. Scarey and fun.
Animal - they are truly viscious!!!
Old 03 October 2007, 05:39   #23

Town: Ghent Belgium
Boat name: Quickflash
Make: Scorpion 9,75 m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 370Hp
MMSI: 20519774700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Have had a Range Rover4.0 V8 and Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.7 V8 and would choose the Landcruiser every time. However looking at your list, Audi Q7, Range Rover & Merc M Class I would choose the Audi Q7 as that just oozes style plus no doubt far more reliable if it is anything to go by the Audi Cars we have owned in the past.
Thanks for the response. By my information the Toyota Landcruiser does not pull 3.5 tonnes, I would have thought that they could pull this weight. Are you sure that it does ?
Old 03 October 2007, 07:40   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickflash View Post
Thanks for the response. By my information the Toyota Landcruiser does not pull 3.5 tonnes, I would have thought that they could pull this weight. Are you sure that it does ?
The Landcruiser Amazon does, - 3500kg
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=24110

Landcruiser (standard one) doesn't - 2800kg
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=24230

The Nissan Patrol - 2500kg
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=35256

BMW X5 - 2300kg
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=26619
Old 03 October 2007, 08:02   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Ummm, I wondered about that one. I pull a 3.5t all-up mini-digger and trailer, but not with the X5. Good job.
Old 03 October 2007, 08:07   #26

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Engine: yamaha 100
Honda CRV

We have the new Honda CRV (07). It is rated at 2000kg max, which is fine for us - (think the 570 + 100hp + trailer is about 1000kg).

It's the 2.2 litre diesel, and is an excellent all round car, but it is a true 'soft' roader in that there is no low ratio, and 4wd is not permanent.

But it manages very well on slips, and will cruise at 110km/h (about 70mph) happily.

The Honda tow hitch attachment is a very substantial piece of kit, must weigh about 50kg on it's own.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:14   #27

Quote:

Very useful, thanks. I called my local Toyota dealer and they had never heard of the Amazon version, but it may be that this is country specific. They did tell me that a new Landcruiser was coming out in Jan-Feb 08 with a V8 Diesel engine at 300HP. They thought it might be called Landcruiser 200 or Landcruiser V8. I will wait with any decision until this car comes out.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:21   #28

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
The X5 definitely does NOT pull 3.5t and also suffers from the chelsea tractor problem of not having a low ratio box, this is always useful on slippery, steep launch sites when a tow rope between you and the trailer isn't an option.

I would also question the fuel consumption figures, albeit that I can only go on what my Touareg does (a Q7 with 150mm or so less wheelbase). My Touraeg (the 2.5 R5D with 6 speed auto) has averaged 28mpg on mixed mileage (the computer and accountants figures both work out the same) and a previous 3.0d Sport X5 never did any better than 23mpg for the year. Ok, the Q7 is slightly heavier than the Touareg but I can't imagine it making that much difference to the f/c figures.

Check out the diff arrangements on the Q7/Touaeg/Cayenne and the X5/XC90 etc as well, understand where the power is going.

I have now driven the Range Rover on a mixed XC track as well and was very impressed with that but can't live with the UK depreciation!
Old 03 October 2007, 11:53   #29

Volvo XC 90 - overheated gearbox ?

The reason for asking the question on best towing vehicle is that I broke the gearbox on my existing Volvo XC90. When I bought this car, I bought with the towhook supplied by the factory. Apparently nobody told me that you also needed to fit an oilcooler for the gearbox oil. The result was that the gearbox oil overheated and I could buy a new gearbox at 5.000€ !!! I am now planning to buy a new rib ( heavier) so the Volvo will be too light in any case. Apprently Volvo now place an oilcooler standard when you order a car with a towinghook. My claim to Volvo is that they should have supplied one on my old car also but didn't. I am building a case against them and any similar cases that you may know about would/could support my claim. Thanks
Old 03 October 2007, 12:04   #30

That is a joke - Volvo must have known the XC90 would be used for towing!!!

Land Rovers really will tow silly loads. My old Discovery will tow 3.5 tons very easily and I have actually towed 5.5 tons no problem(on private roads).
Old 03 October 2007, 12:15   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

I have now driven the Range Rover on a mixed XC track as well and was very impressed with that but can't live with the UK depreciation!
Actually ALL big luxury cars are the same - in fact if you want to see REALLY scary figures look at the Audi A8/BMW 7 series.

Looking at the figures for the Cayenne and other £60k offroaders and you will see there isn't much difference between them.

http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-index.aspx

If you look at lower classes the Discovery is actually better than most.

http://www.brightwells.com/4x4/Recen...2/Default.aspx

If you keep your eye on this auction site you will see that most LRs go for over the book price - not the case with the other makes.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:21   #32

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
All the older LRs had the handbrake operating on all 4 wheels ...
Is that right? I thought the handbrake worked on the rear output shaft from the transfer box...so, no...it doesn't operate on all four wheels. In the “Series” motors.. the drum only locks the rear output and unless you engage the transfer lever to the front axle you only get the rear prop "locked".. and in the "permanent drive" transfers of the later motors you need to engage centre diff lock for maximum efficiency...

Big Patrol (Manual) is rated 3,500... it's the Auto box that won't take it..
Old 03 October 2007, 13:11   #33

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Quote:
That is a joke - Volvo must have known the XC90 would be used for towing!!!

Land Rovers really will tow silly loads. My old Discovery will tow 3.5 tons very easily and I have actually towed 5.5 tons no problem(on private roads).

Don't be silly, Volvo assumed (rightly in 99.9% of cases) that most of the school run would be done without Henrietta and Charlottes pony box on the back and that the owners would have a man with proper 4x4 to tow anything for them.

The Touareg has towed a jumbo jet. Even you may struggle to come up with the missing 150 tonnes that you've towed on your private roads. Of course I'm expecting a snappy comeback about how it's the lightweight 155 tonne version, not the 190 tonne version that a Series 1 Defender could pull without engaging low ratio but it's just an illustration...................
Old 03 October 2007, 13:41   #34

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
its a balance

used to run jap, l200 no problems realy considering the abuse i gave it .cracked head apparantly very com if i had less than 10k to spend its the car to buy !!

also run td5 disco good alround car. again very abused now in haveing new head .

if i had less than 20k to spend very goood for the money also try a shogun
got a trasport freined thats just done 350000 in his no major stuff wrong

i run a range rover now as my car, pound for pound cant beat it 50000 miles a year in comfort and towes very well

the choice is yours what i would say is take into account how many miles a year you do and how fresh you want to feel when you get out of it at the other end !!!

depreciation come on you own a boat ????
Old 03 October 2007, 17:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Is that right? I thought the handbrake worked on the rear output shaft from the transfer box...so, no...it doesn't operate on all four wheels. In the “Series” motors.. the drum only locks the rear output and unless you engage the transfer lever to the front axle you only get the rear prop "locked".. and in the "permanent drive" transfers of the later motors you need to engage centre diff lock for maximum efficiency...

Big Patrol (Manual) is rated 3,500... it's the Auto box that won't take it..
I was on about the RR/Discovery and the Defenders since 1983 - in other words the most common LRs on the road.

You are right in saying that you need to engage difflock for maximum efficiency but it's not very likely you will jack one wheel off the ground at the time is it???
Old 03 October 2007, 18:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Don't be silly, Volvo assumed (rightly in 99.9% of cases) that most of the school run would be done without Henrietta and Charlottes pony box on the back and that the owners would have a man with proper 4x4 to tow anything for them.

The Touareg has towed a jumbo jet. Even you may struggle to come up with the missing 150 tonnes that you've towed on your private roads. Of course I'm expecting a snappy comeback about how it's the lightweight 155 tonne version, not the 190 tonne version that a Series 1 Defender could pull without engaging low ratio but it's just an illustration...................
Yes a remarkable achievement to con the public with.

How about some of these

Man pulling a plane with his teeth

Or a train with his teeth

Or a Chinese Grandmother pulling a truck with her teeth

Or a bloke pulling a plane with his ears.

Also the World's strongest man has a big jet pulling contest - all a lot more impressive than the VW!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teethtruckkw3.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	30428   Click image for larger version

Name:	_42848825_ear_plane4_pa_gall.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	30429  
Old 03 October 2007, 18:50   #37

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
I called my local Toyota dealer and they had never heard of the Amazon version, but it may be that this is country specific. They did tell me that a new Landcruiser was coming out in Jan-Feb 08 with a V8 Diesel engine at 300HP. They thought it might be called Landcruiser 200 or Landcruiser V8. I will wait with any decision until this car comes out.
The Amazon may only be availalble as a Lexus where you are.
I've heard that the new Amazon will only be available as a lexus worldwide.

When I was in Canada recently I spotted the Toyota Tundra, which is very basically an Amazon cut off behind the back seats with 6 foot of Pick up bed added. The 4.7V8 Petrol is the smallest engine available in it!
Try parking that in your local Sainsburys.

Like this one for sale here on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=018

Nasher.
Old 03 October 2007, 18:51   #38

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
The reason for asking the question on best towing vehicle is that I broke the gearbox on my existing Volvo XC90. When I bought this car, I bought with the towhook supplied by the factory. Apparently nobody told me that you also needed to fit an oilcooler for the gearbox oil. The result was that the gearbox oil overheated and I could buy a new gearbox at 5.000€ !!! I am now planning to buy a new rib ( heavier) so the Volvo will be too light in any case. Apprently Volvo now place an oilcooler standard when you order a car with a towinghook. My claim to Volvo is that they should have supplied one on my old car also but didn't. I am building a case against them and any similar cases that you may know about would/could support my claim. Thanks

A customer of mine had this problem when towing with an XC 90, and he was only towing one of our mini diggers and a trailer 1750 kgs tops. He thought he'd damaged something, but after a while it cooled and worked ok again, I'll see if I can find his details for you as it would be of mutual benefit for you both.

I still find that hard to believe though, that volvo didnt suss this ? I pull my 8.5 mtr with an X5 which is an auto and no problems. Whilst the X5 has no low ratio, it 'learning box' has some pretty clever tricks up its sleeve, such as changing up a gear when you go down hill to increase engine braking,.. but there are far better off roaders for sure
Old 04 October 2007, 05:39   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Its not only Volvo, wife's family are farmers and a friend turned up in their Ford Granada auto which had just had a new box fitted and the extra oil cooler added due to towing
I've never checked but it may be somewhere in the small print on the paper work for automatic cars

We had a 4x4 galaxy that spat the gearbox out I never mentioned the horsebox and two horses to the dealer, but I did wonder if it needed an oil cooler

Lad at work tows a caravan and I'm sure he has mentioned it
and i found this

http://www.kenlowe.com/oil-coolers/a...automatic.html

http://www.thecaravanningsite.co.uk/...ml#anchor39761
Old 04 October 2007, 11:42   #40

All the autos I have owned had built in oil coolers - then again they were British cars.....