Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Hehe its a good challenge that.. At the birth of my first child, the nurse mentioned how dangerous oxygen was, thats why they keep it in cages out side..she said .. I was at lengths to explain that it wasnt flammable, but she said it was , now I dont like to doubt a professional but I had to take this one up and explain that things burn in it, and its required for combustion, but it its self is not flammable, as I protested , we breath the stuff !! But she wouldnt listen and she said I wouldnt know, My wife was in pain so I left it.

I think the phrase is "Lies to Children"

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2007, 23:06   #42

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 90
Some random thoughts after reading this thread.

1. Good idea Biggles, thought about it myself with an old Range Rover but doesn't quite cost in just yet, soon will though

2. Gordon Brown is a lying cheating stealing bureacratic obnoxious arrogant bastard - and those are the nicest things I can think of to say about him.

3. Buses - perfect for nutters, kids, coffin-dodgers and poor people. Who in their right mind would choose to travel by bus when there are perfectly good cars available?

4. Firemen: easylife. Not only do they get to drive around in nice shiny fire engines all day but they can also get paid for sleeping on night shift and for playing pool on day shift. And birds fancy them.

4. I'm paying tax on the amount of oxygen my car sucks through its engine? They'll be taxing us for breathing out CO2 soon.

5. Childbirth - easy-peasy for women; not only has eons of evolution kitted them out for it they also get whatever drugs they ask for. I went through over 24 hours of labour stone-cold sober without even a junior aspirin to keep me going
Old 29 March 2007, 00:01   #43

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Climate Change

This evening just had a thought.

Several years ago virtually all types of guns were banned in the UK. Mainly becuase of one person and Dunblane. Right or wrong we now have a situation where our Olympic shooting teams now go to France to practice.

Now it looks like Gordon is going to get rid of 4 x 4s (And other Hi Performance cars) in the next few years. Although no other country is doing this.

In June smoking will be banned in public.

Some companies are now talking about not making any more standard light bulbs. Although energy efficient ones are basically mini fluorescent light bulbs that take a heck of a lot more power to start up and only save power if left on for long times. They also have BAD toxins in that are REALLY bad for waste disposal.

When are Politicians actually going to sit down and do something that will actually work and get some serious public backing.

Me I'm just off to work now to drive a Ford Transit round all day with just me in it. And work is great, I don't even have to exhaust myself by switching on a light because every time I go in a building a remote sensor turns on all the fluorescent lights on the floor I'm on whether I need them or not. I can also go round and see all the lights left on in buildings that are unoccupied. As for PCs that are left on 24/7 and heaters as well. its all obscene and I'm supposed to feel guilty for having a 4 x 4. Get real Labour. Bah Humbug.
Old 01 April 2007, 17:02   #44

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Spain road tax

A belated response to a previous posting about Spain´s road tax & fuel prices.

Spain does have a car tax but it is not much. I pay 70 Euros (c 47 pounds) per year for my 406 diesel estate. I filled up with diesel yesterday & paid 90 cents (61p) per litre

Other useless facts....

There is no council tax, just a Rubbish tax of 90 Euros flat rate per property per year.

There are a few things more expensive here than the UK but most suppliers will mail parcels. Like the 303 Protectorant I just ordered! Thanks for all the postings on the stuff & I hope it lives up to expectations.

Hope it helps,
Old 01 April 2007, 22:07   #45

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Grr Iill be moving then
Old 25 April 2007, 22:46   #46

Town: portskerra
Boat name: orca
Make: osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin suzuki DT40
MMSI: 235029499
Just to get back to the original question.
I have a series 2a 1967 landy which I use to tow my 6M rib around I can launch off beaches I have put in a 2ltr turbo engine out of a montego, £100 year insurance.
As already said it's all down to point system but replacing like for like I don't think you would have a problem.
Do you need to replace the whole chassis as various bits for the chassis can be bought, 1/4, 3/4, 1/2 chassis, front dumb irons ect and they are dirt cheap.
Just go to paddocks web site and look at the prices.
Old 28 April 2007, 00:58   #47

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Car tax!!!!!

Hi,
Just thought id add some thing to this.......
I have just brought two new vans for my company,
1/
2007, BLACK, VW TRANSPORTER 130HP, TWO SIDELOAD DOORS & TAILGATE, DRIVERS SEAT + DOUBLE PASSENGER SEAT WITH BULKHEAD.....TAX £110.00 A YEAR.
2/
2007, BLACK, VW TRANSPORTER 130HP, TWO SIDELOAD DOORS & TAILGATE, DRIVERS SEAT + SINGLE PASSENGER & TRIPPLE REAR SEAT......TAX £225.00 A YEAR.

SAME VANS, SAME ENGINES, SAME TRANSMISSIONS, SAME DAY OF REGISTRATION, SAME EMISSIONS, BOTH CLASSIFIED 1 TON LOADING....DOUBLE THE BUCKS CAUSE OF REAR SEATS!!!! HAD ROW WITH D.V.L.A ABOUT IT & THEY WOULD NOT GIVE AN ANSWER HAVE WRITTEN TO THEM & STILL NO ANSWER. ITS A LOAD OF OLD B*##*KS ABOUT CHARGING CAUSE OF EMISSIONS, JUST ANOTHER STEALTH TAX!!!!! IM GUNA BUY AN OLD SEAGULL 4HP & LEAVE IT RUNNING IN A TANK IN THE BACK GARDEN SO I GET MY MONEYS WORTH OF 'EMISSION TAX'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2007, 06:13   #48

I walked around work yesterday and had a look at all the Tax Discs on the works Transits. All £170. And the little Ford Connects were £110. As was said in the previous post. Emissions regulation. Don't think so.
Old 28 April 2007, 12:13   #49

Emmissions

Yesterday i went direct to DVLA in Bournmouth.....waited to see some one for an hour then got an intervue.....i asked him the question & told him i had both vans in the car park out side & if he would like to carry out an emmisions test on them to prove why they are charging double the money on the one with 5 seats. He declined & said he would make a call, when he came back he said he could not explain the difference & i would have to write in to which i replied i had. He said he could not help me anymore & that no managers where available, I said i would sit there until one was & was told that security would remove me. Now im fumeing but no one will talk or take it upon themselves to sort it out, it always a different department has to deal with it & there on a recorded phone message system. THIS GOVERMENT STINKS, BRING BACK THATCHER & HANG BLAIR & HIS CRONIES!!!!

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 28 April 2007, 12:32   #50
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Yesterday i went direct to DVLA in Bournmouth.....waited to see some one for an hour then got an intervue.....i asked him the question & told him i had both vans in the car park out side & if he would like to carry out an emmisions test on them to prove why they are charging double the money on the one with 5 seats. He declined & said he would make a call, when he came back he said he could not explain the difference & i would have to write in to which i replied i had. He said he could not help me anymore & that no managers where available, I said i would sit there until one was & was told that security would remove me. Now im fumeing but no one will talk or take it upon themselves to sort it out, it always a different department has to deal with it & there on a recorded phone message system. THIS GOVERMENT STINKS, BRING BACK THATCHER & HANG BLAIR & HIS CRONIES!!!!
When you get the official answer I suspect it will be along the lines of "you are not being charged double for extra seats - you are getting a 'discount' becuase you have fewer seats in the other one.

In reality I think it is stop people trying to register vehicles as vans and benefit from "commercial" tax rates when they are really for personal use.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but its the rules and so no point in getting yourself all worked up about it... after all £100 is relatively little in the total cost of opperating a brand new van.
Old 28 April 2007, 13:11   #51

Immisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
When you get the official answer I suspect it will be along the lines of "you are not being charged double for extra seats - you are getting a 'discount' becuase you have fewer seats in the other one.

In reality I think it is stop people trying to register vehicles as vans and benefit from "commercial" tax rates when they are really for personal use.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but its the rules and so no point in getting yourself all worked up about it... after all £100 is relatively little in the total cost of opperating a brand new van.
IT THE PRINCIPAL, NOT THE £100.00. THEY CANNOT ANSWER THE QUESTION OF WHY THEY CHARGE DOUBLE THE MONEY FOR THE SAME VAN PUTTING OUT THE SAME EMMISSIONS, ITS JUST WRONG BUT I SUPPOSE THATS JUST 'LABOUR' FOR YOU, LOOK AT THE CONGESTION CHARGE.....IVE WORKED IN LONDON FOR 15 YEARS & ITS MORE CONGESTED NOW THAN EVER, THEY ARE JUST CASHING IN ON IT.....ITS ALL DAYLIGHT ROBBERY OR 'STEALTH TAX' THERE IS NO ANSWER THEY CAN GIVE, JUST 'SPIN' & HOPE YOUR STUPID ENOUGH TO ACCEPT IT. WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT IM GETTING OUT FOR GOOD, CHANNEL ISLANDS IS WHERE IM AIMING FOR, I KNOW THE COST OF GETTING IN IS DEAR BUT I THINK ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY,WE HAVE MANY FRIENDS THERE & THEY HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK.

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 28 April 2007, 13:11   #52

Quote:

Polwart you must be loaded. Might only be a £100 to you but its a weeks food to some families. Or its £100 less a business has to pass on to the customer.

With regards the difference in Tax on both those vehicles I must admit i didn't click the first time of reading the post that one had seats in the rear. Now that has been brought to my attention I shall go and look at the Transits with seats in the rear when I get back to work and see what the tax is on them !
Old 28 April 2007, 14:20   #53
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
IT THE PRINCIPAL, NOT THE £100.00. THEY CANNOT ANSWER THE QUESTION OF WHY THEY CHARGE DOUBLE THE MONEY FOR THE SAME VAN PUTTING OUT THE SAME EMMISSIONS, ITS JUST WRONG BUT I SUPPOSE THATS JUST 'LABOUR' FOR YOU, LOOK AT THE CONGESTION CHARGE.....IVE WORKED IN LONDON FOR 15 YEARS & ITS MORE CONGESTED NOW THAN EVER, THEY ARE JUST CASHING IN ON IT.....ITS ALL DAYLIGHT ROBBERY OR 'STEALTH TAX' THERE IS NO ANSWER THEY CAN GIVE, JUST 'SPIN' & HOPE YOUR STUPID ENOUGH TO ACCEPT IT. WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT IM GETTING OUT FOR GOOD, CHANNEL ISLANDS IS WHERE IM AIMING FOR, I KNOW THE COST OF GETTING IN IS DEAR BUT I THINK ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY,WE HAVE MANY FRIENDS THERE & THEY HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK.
Sorry I wasn't trying to claim it was particularly logical, nor fair, but DVLA impliment/enforce the rules not make them.
Old 28 April 2007, 14:30   #54
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Polwart you must be loaded. Might only be a £100 to you but its a weeks food to some families. Or its £100 less a business has to pass on to the customer.
Certainly not loaded - just a realist - and if you can afford two new transits your business is presumably not struggling. We dont spend as much as a £100 a week on food - probably not even that including booze. Tax is a necessary evil - it might not always be fair or sensible nor applied the way you want - but you have a vote to make your point with.

Anyone that can afford to sit in a DVLA office waiting to be thrown out - with no hope of getting a sensible answer is either unrealistic in expecting someone at the DVLA to make a special case for him and waive the 100 tax for him OR doesn't have anything better to do (like earn money).
Old 28 April 2007, 15:02   #55

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
.. but you have a vote to make your point with.
You do?

Quote:
Anyone that can afford to sit in a DVLA office waiting to be thrown out - with no hope of getting a sensible answer is either unrealistic in expecting someone at the DVLA to make a special case for him and waive the 100 tax for him OR doesn't have anything better to do (like earn money).
Perhaps that will make the point more than your voting choice.
Old 28 April 2007, 16:30   #56

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Spike has a fair point though. The rules are soo flipping complicated, that inevitably taxation and classing will have anomalies.

Also I agree about emigration too, yes tax is a necessary thing, but it says a lot about this country, that there are organisations taking out huge adverts in the press advising people how to move out of the UK and how their company helps them do it for the obligatory fee.

If I added up all the VAT, PAYE, NI, Corporation Tax, Income tax, domestic and business rates , Car tax,IPT, CGT and others to name but a few, I'm sure I would go into apoplectic shock at how much I've pumped into UK PLC.

And for what ? waiting 5 months for a hospital appointment ? streets strewn with rubbish, crime always on the way up, my council tax has doubled in the last eight years, and every other tax on the way up. Any one who keeps their old car tax disk in the holder, pull them all out and look at the previous years, £10 higher that year and the next, Its never ending !
Old 28 April 2007, 17:46   #57
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Perhaps that will make the point more than your voting choice.
No writing to your MP or the treasury might - but kicking up a stink in an office full of people who really couldn't give a toss so long as they get paid for implimenting the rules is unlikely to result in change.
Old 28 April 2007, 19:09   #58

Emmissions

I Am Just Saying That In This Instance There Is Not A Valid Reason That Even Dvla Can Find As To Why They Are Making This Extra Charge It Is Quite Clearly Nothing To Do With Emmissions So To Claim That We Pay Car Tax Based On Emmissions Is A Load Of B#####ks. Prove Me Wrong. I Have 27 Vans On The Road & Have 38 Men Working For Me (relying On Me To Find Them Work!) But In This Current Work Enviroment In London It Is Very Hard To Out Price The 'eastern European Man' That Our Current Goverment Have Been Letting Into Our Country, Taking Cash Or Whatever They Can & Taking It Back Home To Spend In There Country Not In Ours Getting Free Housing Ect,ect I Could Go On But Everyone Knows What Im Talking About!!!!
I Do Have Better Things To Do With My Time Than Sit In A Dvla Office, However I Have Tried Writing In (no Responce) I Have Called (no Responce) Your So Clever You Tell Me Why One Van Is Dearer Than The Other!!!!
As Well Pointed Out By Biggles, The Last Thing You Need As A Business Is Extra Expence When Your Fighting With Other People In Your Trade That Can Get Away With Under Cutting You By Not Paying Tax/vat While We Are Paying (through Our Taxs) For Them To Be Here & Live For Free. Tell Me How The Hell Can A Compident Businessman Ignore Even £10.00 Let Alone £100.00 Of Extra Loss & As Someone Else Said This Is Just The Tip Of The Iceburg!

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 28 April 2007, 19:27   #59

Emmissions

Hi Biggles,
Back On Thread, I Have A Close Friend In London That Go's To France To Buy A Second Hand Righthand Drive Car (they Are Cheep Over There) Every Six Months & Brings It Over Here But Leaves It Registered On French Plates, That Way You Dont Pay Any Car Tax Here At All & I Belive As Long As It Go's Home To France Every Six Months For A Few Weeks Its All Leagal(register It To A Mailing Address Or Po Box), I Dont Know All The Ins & Outs But I Have Noticed That A Lot Of The Poles That Live Near My Flat In Ealing Do This As Well & They Have Been Getting Away With It For Years They Tell Me It Helps Avoid Parking Tickits/speeding Tickets Too, So They Aint Stupid Are They. It's Just Us Stupid F##k#rs That Pay Up & Moan. You Imagine What Would The Goverment Do If Everyone Said We Are Only Going To Pay £100.00 A Year & Stood By It Firm, They Would Have No Choise But To Accept It, Sound Like A Plan!!!!
Mike.

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 28 April 2007, 20:10   #60

I've never been one to moan if everything is done fairly. As has been pointed out already, we have to pay Tax and it has to come from somewhere. Trouble is I feel as though I'm not being treated fairly, when I see all the discrepencies with regards Road Tax and I feel even more aggrieved when i see people flouting the law and not getting touched for it.