Old 30 April 2007, 17:03   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Audi RS6 Twin turbo V8

(ex) Audi RS6 Twin turbo V8 @ 250km/h + Driver got out, walked away and called emergency on his phone.

Take note – this is one car not two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	26460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	26461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	26462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	26463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide7.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	26464  

Old 30 April 2007, 17:07   #2

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
The driver was lucky it was left hand drive! Would have been painful in a RHD...
Old 30 April 2007, 18:26   #3
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
one can only guess how quick he was going prior to this "event"

lucky chap..... bet his pants where a a total loss too
Old 30 April 2007, 18:46   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nice to see audi make cars that snap in half - maybe it's a new safety feature?
Old 30 April 2007, 20:21   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Audi gave me one for a day to tempt me from my S6 quattro, and I can say they are incredibly fast motors, with astounding grip. The trouble is though that you just want to keep pushing it, to see what it will take. Say what you want about the Gerries, they build excellent motors. The guy who sold my S6 said youll kill yourself in the wifes Nissan Hatchback before an S6, meaning that once you are used to the grip and 4wd, anything else is dangerous. He had a point, but I wasn't overly excited by his sentiment

Shocking looking photos all the same.

"Edit" H'es fooked the Bose sound system for sure
Old 30 April 2007, 20:36   #6

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
At least the poor tree is still in one piece! Maybe the tree-huggers are on to something......hmm...
Old 30 April 2007, 20:47   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Its nice just to see a road thats one solid piece of well laid tarmac. When you see that you know its not in the UK. Ours have been dug up and relaid badly by countless utility companies.
Old 30 April 2007, 21:16   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
What a place to breakdown!!!!!
Old 30 April 2007, 21:18   #9

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
It looks like the start of the Citreon advert where the car constructs itself in to a skater.
Old 30 April 2007, 22:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Audi gave me one for a day to tempt me from my S6 quattro, and I can say they are incredibly fast motors, with astounding grip. The trouble is though that you just want to keep pushing it, to see what it will take. Say what you want about the Gerries, they build excellent motors. The guy who sold my S6 said youll kill yourself in the wifes Nissan Hatchback before an S6, meaning that once you are used to the grip and 4wd, anything else is dangerous. He had a point, but I wasn't overly excited by his sentiment

Shocking looking photos all the same.

"Edit" H'es fooked the Bose sound system for sure
I have found that this kind of car leaves you too isolated from what's going on - they have very high limits but you just don't feel them approaching and when they let go they do - big style.

Something twitchy and RWD usually lets you know BEFORE you get into trouble - if you can read it right.

Feel is what it's all about - something many modern cars are sadly lacking. Drive a Caterham or a Westie and people will know what I mean.
Old 30 April 2007, 22:14   #11

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
maybe it was a half price car!!
Old 30 April 2007, 23:28   #12

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Something twitchy and RWD usually lets you know BEFORE you get into trouble - if you can read it right.

Feel is what it's all about - something many modern cars are sadly lacking. Drive a Caterham or a Westie and people will know what I mean.
What a ridiculous generalisation! All RWD cars these days have just as much electronics as a FWS or AWD car! You will not know you've made a mistake until the mistake is so big that the computer can't correct it.

You cannot compare a RWD Caterham to a RWD BMW (for example). You are talking about two very different vehicles, and two very different owners. The cars you use as an example are not what people use as their daily-drivers - the people that own them are INTO their cars... but that doesn't mean that they would know what the sensation of the back-end stepping-out would be like!

I agree that "feel" is what it's about... for me, it's the same as driving a RIB or SIB console or tiller. As much as I love my Audi A4, it's not the same as driving my 1976 Mini. In one I feel cosseted, in one I feel connected. One is good for trekking up and down the country, one is good for short blasts.

WMM
Old 01 May 2007, 02:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post
What a ridiculous generalisation! All RWD cars these days have just as much electronics as a FWS or AWD car! You will not know you've made a mistake until the mistake is so big that the computer can't correct it.

You cannot compare a RWD Caterham to a RWD BMW (for example). You are talking about two very different vehicles, and two very different owners. The cars you use as an example are not what people use as their daily-drivers - the people that own them are INTO their cars... but that doesn't mean that they would know what the sensation of the back-end stepping-out would be like!

I agree that "feel" is what it's about... for me, it's the same as driving a RIB or SIB console or tiller. As much as I love my Audi A4, it's not the same as driving my 1976 Mini. In one I feel cosseted, in one I feel connected. One is good for trekking up and down the country, one is good for short blasts.

WMM
I never said ALL RWD cars!!! I once had the misfortune of driving a Sierra - it may have been RWD but yuch - talk about understeer.....

Decent RWD cars let you turn off the electronic aids - the RX8 for example is a joy to drive but the 350z - even with them off - still leaves you feeling numb.

As to old minis - awesome cars. Saw some in the Pyrenees in Italien job colours being chased by some motorbikes - the bikers just couldn't keep up on the twisty bits.
Old 01 May 2007, 06:41   #14
mdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
That is me on my 6th Audi and all bar the 1st one have been Quattros and you are so right once you have had something with the constant grip of one of these you really do miss it. Had a BMW & a Porsche for a while and at times you could not just get the grip to go down.
The laws of physics are still there and 4wd can’t make you stop any quicker and it is not a magic force field as the photos of the RS6 show. When it is wet (as it is known to be in this land of ours) and you are looking to “make progress”
I know what I would be wanting to drive.
Old 01 May 2007, 06:46   #15
mdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post

WMM
your feelings and Tiff's
Old 01 May 2007, 11:41   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Very lucky guy! Anyone in the passenger seat would have been smeared all over the wreckage...
thorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 11:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
That is me on my 6th Audi and all bar the 1st one have been Quattros and you are so right once you have had something with the constant grip of one of these you really do miss it. Had a BMW & a Porsche for a while and at times you could not just get the grip to go down.
The laws of physics are still there and 4wd can’t make you stop any quicker and it is not a magic force field as the photos of the RS6 show. When it is wet (as it is known to be in this land of ours) and you are looking to “make progress”
I know what I would be wanting to drive.
I had an RS4 estate for a while - seriously quick but not very involving. I like cars that are raw and do what I tell them to. Not a lover of electronic gadgets to "help" me drive. I drive my mates Ferrari 360 quite a bit and again it's just too refined - once had a go in an F40 - now that was an experience - scares the life out of you just sitting in it. What a thrill.
Old 01 May 2007, 12:02   #18

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
a disco is very raw
Old 01 May 2007, 12:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
a disco is very raw
Not compared to a Series III it isn't!!!
Old 01 May 2007, 13:36   #20

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
However I am guessing that the driver of the wrecked Audi is pleased he bought his numb, electronicaly controlled and unraw car rather than a Caterham. Had he gone for the 'real' car he would not be walking or talking today.