Old 13 September 2011, 15:48   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
£15k - which used 4 door saloon?

Bit of an open question but considering buying a 'new' (used) car. Present stable is an ex-MoD Land Rover 90, a 300Tdi 110 CSW and a 2002 Focus.

The 300Tdi is the workhorse and 'boat' car, the Ninety a much loved old thing that I cannot bear to sell so the Focus will have to go. Stupid really as it's been super reliable, cost nothing to run and whizzs about fine but I miss the old Saab 9-5 (a '99 car) I had once for long distance comfort and creature comforts.

Brand snobbery kind of comes into it - I love the 'Saab' thing and always said I would rather be shot than seen in a BMW or Merc but for some reason I find myself liking the recent 3 series models.

Has to be a petrol auto 4 door with decent performance but not a performance model as such.

Not interested in Mercs, Audis or anything French...so thinking another Saab, Volvo or yes, even the Beemer...

Any suggestions guys?
Old 13 September 2011, 15:53   #2

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Cant go wrong with beemer!

i have only had diesels for the last 10 years but my 330D was a fantastic car, very comfortable on long distances, fast and used next to no fuel when treated well! sorry to see that go but by current 530D is just as good with extra room for the dogs in the boot!!

A friend has just changed his Audi A4 3.0 quatro diesel. 56 plate with 50K miles and dealer service. he did part ex on a newer audi and they gave him 11K for it so your budget should get you something very reasonable!
Old 13 September 2011, 16:11   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Can't go wrong with the current 3 or just departing 5 series. I just took delivery of the 320d msport plus (184bhp) with all the trimmings.

(Certainly wouldnt buy one new as the new model is out next year, but its a lease.)

However, the new 5 has been out about a year now and the 04 onwards model is a bargain. Prices have now dipped and a 530d (ensure it is the more modern 3.0d!!!) is an absolute diamond of a car. Frugal, powerful and under 15k now, just. That engine is a corker, was the best diesel engine in the world for a while!!!

There's a good few of that type of car that have been well looked after with Full BMW service history. A lot of car if you look around. For example

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...16by?logcode=p
Old 13 September 2011, 16:26   #4

Thanks for the comments guys - really looking at a petrol (and auto) though, my mileage will be relatively very low and other worries about modern diesels (dual mass flywheels, DPF issues etc) put me off.

I wouldn't have anything but diesel in the Landys' but always preferred petrol in my 'cars'.
Old 13 September 2011, 16:26   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Saab
They've filed for bankruptcy protection...spares could be a nightmare if they go belly up
Old 13 September 2011, 16:48   #6

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Blimey you sound like me

1947 BSA M20
1968 Series 11A ground up restoration - half way though!
1962 " " daily drive
2011 Defender
1962 SAAB 96 2 Stroke
2005 SAAB 9-5 estate

I would go SAAB again for saving money as they are bargains for running into the ground. My SAAB was 4 years old and cost £4200 with 67,000 on the clock It was 27K new, they're not real SAABs but perfectly decent boring hacks as most modern cars are - yawn

Old 13 September 2011, 17:20   #7

530i. Get an even cleaner example for 15k as they're not as desirable. Creamy smooth 6cyl. Mmmmmmm
Old 13 September 2011, 17:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
530i. Get an even cleaner example for 15k as they're not as desirable. Creamy smooth 6cyl. Mmmmmmm
Agreed 6 Cyl but sold it 3 months ago Jag prices went through the roof so silly not to make on it SAAB pictured behind, my wife had to follow on behind when we went anywhere as the XK only had one spare seat for one sprog!

Keep your money to keep your Defender on the road, cos you won't want the proposed new one.!!!!! They haven't a clue..groan!
Old 13 September 2011, 18:01   #9

Don't want to divert this into a Landy topic but copying/pasting the below from a post I made on a Landy forum:

Yep, my 110 Defender was the last great one - a proper 12 seater 1998 300Tdi - the proposed new one is just another monocoque, tarted up, Chelsea tractor.

Like the modern Discovery (and on decent tyres) it will do a fine job off-road but it's a million miles from the ladder chassis, 'Meccano' set, totally versatile, utility vehicle that to all intents and purposes has been largely unchanged since 1948. No-one would argue that the ladder chassis/hand built Defender could go on forever - it's way past it's sell by date in modern vehicle terms but to pretend the new version is a 'Defender' is silly - it's just another scaled down Range Rover/Discovery/Evoque.

But at the end of the day there are more than enough proper Landys around to be re-chassised for all the enthusiasts out there - the internal combustion engine will be outlawed long before they all die for good.

That old Saab is gorgeous BTW.

Please keep the saloon suggestions coming - not considered the 5 series. TBH the whole BMW recent 3 series model range/update history seems a minefield...
Old 13 September 2011, 18:05   #10

Totally agree Max

2 stroke will go up for sale soon for £2750 ono
Old 13 September 2011, 19:53   #11

Town: hull
Make: narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
In my opinion look to the far East Lexus IS250 auto superb cruiser jap reliability great styling comfort and practical despite the previous problems they have had with over zealous reporting of problems,many other manufacturers have recall faults but its not publisized
Old 14 September 2011, 12:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
Keep your money to keep your Defender on the road, cos you won't want the proposed new one.!!!!! They haven't a clue..groan!
Quote from John Edwards, LR global brand director, at the Frankfurt Show this week..."Some of us were involved with the Mini project, and we encountered some 'attitudes' (to change) back then. But we soon learned that although these people deserved a hearing, they were a very small minority. There's a great case for a modern product, and the Mini helped show us the way"

TWO new Defender concepts shown at Frankfurt...one labelled 'Tool', one labelled 'Cool'...and from the same guys that brought us the FFRR, RRS, Disco and Evoque. Hugely desirable, hugely successful, hugely profitable...

Live off past performance and go under or evolve for the future and prosper?

Looks good to me LR
Old 14 September 2011, 12:32   #13

That's what everyone is saying - it looks like the new Mini an abortion of design to quote one car designer and to summarise others. The DC100 is nowhere near the final incarnation apparently and better LR mock ups have been seen with more of the 60 year iconic characteristics. They are listening to the public now after the initial negative response. As well as design it's also about functionality, being able to take it to war, stick a cheery picker on the back, take it on expeditions, do the school run,whack on a PTO, fork poo in the back etc. You can't do that with a RAV4/mini incarnation.

The Series/Defender etc is the most versatile vehicle and this is why it has lasted so long, nobody can come up with anything different. What they are proposing to produce is something that the gaylander and Disco already do, it's just another car! Tata have already said the Defender will carry on in production for years in India as there is still demand for such versatility. Others will just have to buy a tractor/van/camper/trailer etc etc...

Agreed the current LR range look superb
Old 14 September 2011, 15:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
it looks like the new Mini
OMG: Which is which?

Old 14 September 2011, 16:20   #15

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
I wouldn't touch any of the Saabs built since they became part of GM.

I'd be looking at a 2006 BMW 530i (E60) with 50k miles around the £10-11k mark. Awesome car, I have the same engine in my Z4 and it is a cracker.
Old 14 September 2011, 17:25   #16

Getting back on topic....

Lot of BMW recommendations - might have to re-consider the fuel type - as a driver for 20 years of petrol cars (as I say my only diesel experience is Landys with old school diesel tech) how do the typical 4 cylinder 3 series diesels drive compared to the BMW petrols - seems the vast majority I'm finding in searches are diesels..

Really as long as it's comfortably sub 10 sec 0-60 with good overtaking grunt I'll be happy - which 3 series engine would people suggest?

Other issue is the pot-holed cart tracks our UK roads have become - again which model/set-up/wheel/tyre combo will give me some comfort?

To be honest I'm planning to go no bigger than the 3 series as nice as 5's are.
Old 14 September 2011, 18:36   #17

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
If a comfortable ride is a priority then I stick to an SE spec with either 16 or 17" wheels. I think the 05 on 3 series may have been specced with runflat tyres too and these don't help. M-Sport makes it much firmer still.

I have 18" wheels and M-sport suspension on a z4 and I ditched the runflats all together and carry a space saver I picked up on ebay in the boot if I do any long trips. The improvement was very noticeable.

I'm sure from what you say a 320d would provide the performance you are looking for along with about 45mpg. If you are doing low mileage then I'd not discount a 325i or even 330i. They may use about 1 3rd more fuel but are silky smooth, sound great and are probably cheaper to buy than a equivalent 320d.

Mark
Old 14 September 2011, 18:36   #18

Obviously a new gen 335d. Twin turbo unit! Small for instant pick up, then large for even more. Though you won't get one for 15k

I just got the 320d 184bhp 4cyl. 142mph, 0-60 7.5 60mpg on the combined cycle if careful, 48mpg average over 600 miles ive driven so far!!!! plenty of punch and if you chipped it to 210bhp for £300 it would be sub 7 sec. The 50-70 speed is awesome!

Petrols are cheap to buy, smooth as silk, but impossible to sell, expensive to insure and Tax too!

M sport suspension is fine after 05 when they introduced the lifecycle improvement/new generation/facelift. Spotted by sculpted bonnet and red rear lights. Before then, bit bumpy with 18's. Fine now even with runflats.
Old 14 September 2011, 21:04   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Max, I don't believe that autos have dual mass flywheels, or have I misunderstood and is that the reason you want an auto? Anyway, I've always been more concerned about having a cam chain rather than a poly V-belt, like in my old 1976 Saab 99 which was my best car ever, until...

My Calibra 24v which was written off by a blue-van-driver in 2006, and then my E46 BMW 330i M-sport coupe, which is better still!

As mentioned the 3.0 is super-smooth. But not expensive to insure, I'm paying about £330/yr with Bell for fully comp. Does about 25mpg and I floor it everywhere.

Handling is fantastic. I don't think they fitted runflats until the E90 series arrived in 2006 but I could be wrong! Also the chassis and handling upgrade came in 2001 with a mild facelift in 2004 which gave LED rear lights and a slightly re-shaped front lights, bonnet, wings and side repeaters, but no chassis or suspension change as far as I know.

My worst ever cars were the Sierra 1.8TD (although the two Mondeos I've had subsequently have been faultless) and the Mercedes E280. I'm not mentioning the Rover 114.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 21:52   #20

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
You need a volvo v70 "R".

When I had one a few years ago it was just such a sorted peice of kit in every way. Being a fast AWD I replaced both sports car and rangie in one.

£15k would buy you a nice one I suspect.