Old 04 February 2013, 17:54   #41

Make: Zodiac Pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 Mercury 4-Stroke
I have a Zodiac Pro 530 with a Mercury 115 hp 4-stroke. Years ago I built a custom seat / gas tank that has worked well but now would like to do several other projects. First I would like to build a pylon rack system on the back, over the motor. To describe it, I would say it is similar to what a boat may have for pulling a skier or a law enforcement boat having lights on it. I want to have a rack to hold some scuba related gear, to get the gear off the floor. I am hoping someone out there knows a company that makes them or has pictures of what they have made. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05 February 2013, 00:01   #42

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDiver View Post
First I would like to build a pylon rack system on the back, over the motor. I want to have a rack to hold some scuba related gear, to get the gear off the floor.
Specifically, what gear?

And by "pylon rack system", do you mean "A-frame" or something else? (Do a search on this site if you're unfamiliar with the term.)

jky
Old 27 March 2013, 20:11   #43

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: 2 intense
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
different than a conventional v hull or tunnel boat?
On scream n' fly they say get over the chine walk speed so you can really go fast.
Old 27 March 2013, 20:32   #44

I have done some searching on "A-Frame" and that does appear to be a better term than pylon. I am still looking for something, new or used if anyone has any suggested sites to visit.
Old 28 March 2013, 02:18   #45

Town: Alaska
Boat name: Heavy Hitter
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 115hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDiver View Post
I have done some searching on "A-Frame" and that does appear to be a better term than pylon. I am still looking for something, new or used if anyone has any suggested sites to visit.
Atlantic Towers | Inflatable Boat Products
Old 28 March 2013, 12:09   #46

That is a great link, thank you!
Old 09 March 2016, 16:48   #47

Performance with 75ETEC

Hi Chris,

I am repowering a 1990 Pro 530 Hull currently and I am trying to fully understand your numbers on the performance that you have had with the 75ETEC.

You were able to achieve mid 40MPH with a very light load and 37MPH with four on board and 25 gallons fuel, correct? What pitch a prop are you spinning to get to these numbers?

I'm considered the Suzuki DF90, or add risk a little more weight on the transom and go with a 115 Yamaha but if you are able to reach 37MPH loaded that seems pretty reasonable, although that is running WOT.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
Thanks- The boat runs real well with the 75 ETEC. It took a little while to get the right prop worked out but i'm now getting mid 40's out of it in flat water. Personally I like the way it handle better than a searider. It turns flatter at speed because off the deep strakes on the outide of the hull.

I got the tubes from Defender where I work. Unfortunately the price jumped a bit since last year but if you want send me a PM and I'll get you a price.

My boat is actually torn apart once again. The deck has been removed and I have installed a belly tank under the deck. I also bought a new console, T-top and bolster for it. I am trying to make it a little more comfortable and gain some storage. The plan is to also fabricate a bow locker into it as well.

-Chris
Old 10 March 2016, 15:30   #48

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Those numbers were from when I first got the boat before reconstructing the deck, adding an underdeck tank, and fabricating a bow locker. I also added a large t-top. Once those mods were done it slowed the boat down a bit and changed the balance.
I do not recall what the prop was at that time once the Etec. However if I was gonna build another one I would go with a larger outboard. We custom fabricated a set of tie bars like the seariders have the went from the transom to the deck to reduce flex on the transom. It would have probably had no issue with a larger motor at that point. I also went with a smaller outboard as I had a newborn at the time and we always took him on the boat hence the larger t-top as well.
When all was said and done I found it to be a very comfortable riding boat.
Old 10 March 2016, 21:35   #49

Thanks Cgoing! What kind of belly tanks did you install? Bladder or custom aluminum/plastic?

I might try the tie bars to stiffin up the transom some. Do you have any photos that you installed that you would mind sharing?

Thanks!
Old 11 March 2016, 14:33   #50

Update

It has been some time since I posted to the thread but here is a picture of the boat after I added the bar to the back, and what it is used for. It connects to the inside of the transom, though I would like to add some support to it from the floor.

When I bought the boat used many years ago it had a 2 stroke 90 on it. I put a 4-Stroke 115 on it and love it. can reach speeds close to 40 with light load. If the T-Top is up it does get a little squirrelly.

I would love to put some storage in the floor. Seeing photos and details from others would be very helpful!

Old 11 March 2016, 14:35   #51

I forgot to mention I did add a spotlight to the bar, a rear white flip up light and mounted my GPS antenna to the bar. I had to make all of these items flip up as the boat would not go trough the garage door if they were up all the time, to tall.

Old 15 March 2016, 18:24   #52

That looks nice MNDiver. Did you have that transom bar custom made or did you buy it pre-fab'd?

What pitch of prop are you spinning? I am repowering my pro 530, and I am trying to figure out if I want to go with the Suzuki 90 or a Yam 115. There is only 40lbs difference between the two so it really is about fuel economy and speed since I usually cover 200-300 miles in a few days.

Have you kept any detailed logs of fuel efficiency? ie load, water conditions, speed, burn rate, ect?

As soon as I get my RIB looking like something more than it does right now, I'll get some photos up!
Old 16 March 2016, 13:57   #53

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitwildak View Post
That looks nice MNDiver. Did you have that transom bar custom made or did you buy it pre-fab'd?

What pitch of prop are you spinning? I am repowering my pro 530, and I am trying to figure out if I want to go with the Suzuki 90 or a Yam 115. There is only 40lbs difference between the two so it really is about fuel economy and speed since I usually cover 200-300 miles in a few days.

Have you kept any detailed logs of fuel efficiency? ie load, water conditions, speed, burn rate, ect?

As soon as I get my RIB looking like something more than it does right now, I'll get some photos up!
His arch looks like a Fishmaster arch..discontinued, but they were selling for about $200 for a while:
http://fishmaster.com/products/RadarArch.htm

I had one. They're not bad to mount accessories, but the wall thickness is kinda on the thin. Even just leaning on the arch while standing on the tube will bend it slightly (mine had a permanent lean due to this).

I crumpled mine on a pull-through car wash stupidly...whoops.

Atlantic Towers has one that is a much higher build quality, but very expensive.

If you want a permanent option, I'd have a local guy fabricate one out for 316L for you.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote