Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Finished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solos60 View Post
Finally got the Arch with the back seat/locker bolted to the transom and the nav lights & VHF antenna wired through to the Console.
Calling it finished and the end to this thread.
Ah, but when you own a boat, is it ever truly finished?
Good luck and good days out on your completed project...
Old 13 July 2008, 02:33   #43

Town: Victoria
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Explorer 4800
Length: 4m +
Engine: still looking
I have what looks to be exactly the same boat. Judging by the deck hatches I would say it was probably pulled from the same mold and mine was also built in '90. However, the model number is a EXP4800 on the transom plate and the tubes have "Explorer" written across them. I don't know what the differences would be between the Cherokee and the Explorer models but when I look at the pictures they look exactly the same.

I had the boat given to me a few months back and I am just starting to work on the new project. After looking at the thread I found a lot of very useful information because I am about to go through what you just did.

I also require a new set of tubes as the PVC is delaminating in several spots. The inner bladder is okay and they still hold air so I am in the process of patching them for now. I am gluing pieces of PVC to where the exposed fabric is torn and then I am going to paint the tubes with TuffCoat. With a bit of luck they may hold for a season or two.

I really like your centre console. I just picked up a fibreglass one the day before yesterday. I was going to mount it just behind the large centre deck hatch but I see that you mounted yours forward and on the hatch a little ways. Any particular reason for that? Also, how did you fasten the console to the deck?

Also, I havent picked up an engine for the boat yet and I was wondering if your engine had a short or regular length leg? The transom is rated for a 60 and I am not sure how the boat would sit in the water with a heavy four stroke 60 horse on it.

Thanks for your time.
Bjorn
Old 14 July 2008, 16:43   #44

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
Answers to CBGIMSE questions

The Plywood Hatch covers were fiberglassed and permanently fastened to the deck with 1 inch #10 Stainless tapping screws and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. I felt the storage spaces were of little value size wise thats why I sealed them up making the deck more waterproof.
The Console was also permanently fastened to the deck with 3/4 inch Cap #10 Stainless tapping screws and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200.
My Rib is also rated for a 60 HP, However installed a 70 HP Tohatsu TLDI 2 Stroke only weighing 315 lbs. Tohatsu offered the best price which included all the gauges/prop/controls and a 3 + 1 TLDI warranty.
Old 19 August 2008, 21:00   #45

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: cherokee
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp outboard
Zodiac Cherokee with Merc 60 4 stroke

Hey guys was on here a couple of times last year. Nice to see the finished product on Solos60 Cherokee. No doubt a lot of work.Looks good. A 70hp will move that boat to a nice speed.
The following info may be helpful to cbgimse or others.

I have a Merc 60hp 4 stroke on my boat and Using my GPS as a speed indicator I had it going 50kmh in Indian Arm. I will try to post a picture of the boat for those who want to see the configuration.

I have quite a bit of weight aft. Console is to the starboard side just back from midship. I have two captain seats on top of a storage box just forward of the motor. So between the motor,battery, stuff inside my storage box and passengers there can be quite a bit of weight.
I have (dolphin fins) on the leg of my Merc. With two people I pop right up on plane with little effort.

I have had 4 people in my boat and she still goes good on plane. I think that is because the the other two passengers are forward of the console thus balancing the boat. My fuel tank is a custom aluminum mounted just below the front bow hatch. I am not sure exactly how many Liters it holds cause I never have filled it from empty but it must be 40+ liters. The fuel tank forward also provides ballast and a better balance of the boat.

I really enjoy my Cherokee and have had it off the west coast of Van Isl a couple of times. Boat has been through Hole in the wall and through Arrin rapids when the tide is whistling through and huge whirl pools are opening all around. If you have been up the Johnson straight past Campbell River you will know the water I talk about. Last month crossed the straight of Georgia from Tswassen to Galliano Island no problem at all.

The down side of the boat is it is at Polaris inflatable right now due to a leak in the port tube at the bow. The leak is between the fiberglass and the tube. Very hard to get at. This is the second time Polaris is fixing. They fixed it once before three weeks prior then in the same spot I received air loss. The boat has been there for one week one day. I called to get a follow up but Bill did not return my call. He is a very nice guy,seems to do good work, and am sure they are busy but I am a little disappointed that I have not received a follow up call.

I know Solos had his tubes done there. Are you happy with the work they do at Polaris?
Anyone else have experience,good or bad, with Polaris in Langley?
Any other inflatable repair outfit they are happy with?
Finding a good inflatable boat repair person is paramount because sooner or later a leak is inevitable. Especially when you use it for fishing and have kids.

Looking for reliable,capable and competent repair person.Any suggestions?
Note: I do not rule out Polaris in Langley. I will see how they deal with my boat but it is good to have follow ups when needed. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	37074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	37075  
Old 04 March 2014, 23:27   #46
MIM

Town: Salt Spring Island, BC
Length: no boat
Hey did you sell your 480? I might have a buyer on SSI if not...
Old 22 March 2014, 16:18   #47

My RIB is available for sale...
Old 22 March 2014, 23:03   #48
MIM

Town: Salt Spring Island, BC
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by solos60 View Post
My RIB is available for sale...

Can you give me your name and contact info so I can get some details from you early next week. Thanks very much!
Old 23 March 2014, 16:48   #49

Hello MIM.. The details of my Rib are outlined in this posting of course but I will send you a private message with my email address in order that you can direct any further queries to me.. Thanks