Old 09 September 2007, 02:16   #1

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Zodiac Hurricane 630 Questions

I just picked up a former US Border Patrol Hurricane 630 (was a coast guard boat before that) with twin honda four strokes and I have a few questions:

1. It appears that there are two seperate fuel tanks, one is the main and one is the auxiliary. There are two valves on the back of the rib which I assume allow fuel to flow from one tank. Does anybody know the proper procedures on how to run the boat with this dual fuel tank set up? I wonder if the main and aux. fuel tank are in essence acting like two seperate fuel tanks for each engine.

2. The RIB doesn't have trim tabs, would you recommend them? I like them on my Nautica as they allow me to put them down to plow through chop.

3. The one tube has a small pinhold leak where the rub rail got pulled off. Is there a repair facility somewhere near Cleveland? The tubes are also painted white, but they need another coat of the RIB paint, has anybody tried painting over painted tubes with Tuf Cote?

Eric
www.rib4charter.com
Old 09 September 2007, 08:11   #2

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
In my 640 the fuel system is set up so both engines draw from one tank at a time. The forward tank in my boat holds 50 gallons and the aft tank is also 50 gallons. if you get the hull number off the transom you could hurricane and get more information how yours is set up.

When you buy a hurricane new you get a binder with about 300 pages with all the wiring schematics, fuel system, structural build etc, etc. You might be able to get this book for hurricane with the hull number.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:42   #3

Your fuel system sounds the same as mine. Can you leave the valves for both fuel tanks open at the same time? If not, do you use a fuel flow meter to keep track of fuel used or do you rely on the fuel tank gauges. There was no operating manual for the boat, I will have to track down Zodiac/hurricane to see if I can get a copy of the manual.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:33   #4

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Samsel supply in the flats has done some tube repairs for me in the past, they should be able to help you out.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:49   #5

Thanks, there were on my list, glad to hear they are good. Do you take teh boat there or do they come to you?