I bought this Hurricane 440 this spring out on Vancouver Island and towed it back to Yellowknife. It is a 1989 with a 2001 tube set, the motor on it was a 1992 or 93 Honda BF45 but it was a bit under powered with this motor.
I got lucky and there was a 1993 Johnson 60hp sitting under a tarp down the road from me that had been there for a three years. I bought it and put it on the 440. I love how the boat handles now, it is rated for only 50hp but 60hp seems perfect on it.
I'm hoping to do some work on it this winter. Needs the following:
- install nav lights, horn, vhf radio, etc...
- install fire extinguisher
- reinstall the elephant trunks (someone has removed them)
- install proper keel drain fittings and plugs (may need to install deck inspection ports for this)
- install fuel tank and battery tie downs
- install tachometer and trim gauge
- install fish finder/depth finder
- sort out some sort of hull/keel guard (rocks, rocks, and more rocks around here)
- figure out some way of transporting more camping gear (maybe a roof rack?)
- install some sort of trolling motor if possible
- install some sort of boarding ladder for snorkeling
- fishing rod and net holders
Have I missed anything?
Have not decided if I'm going to use the oil injection system or not on the motor. I have it bypassed right now and am running premix 50:1