Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Stoo I envy you, although I hope you have a good dry suit that water must be very very cold. I am thinking of getting certified this summer how hard would it be to rent scuba gear in your area when we are up there?
The surface water temp was 36 today... a little colder at the bottom! And yes I have a good Viking drysuit and cold-water regs etc. If you do get up this way, gear is no problem. There are two shops here, both owned by good friends. In August, the top 10 feet wil be up to perhaps 65F, but it drops a bunch at 30' and below 70 it's mid to high 30s all year. (Although last year, I hit a smoking hot current at 155'... temp got up to 41

I'm glad to hear the painting is going better... It was a grand day on the water today, and looks even better tomorrow!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2007, 01:28   #102

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
so how did the painting go?
Old 24 April 2007, 04:06   #103

Town: Chicago
Make: Hurricane
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Yami
Painting went well. The temps stayed between 65-80 the entire weekend which made a huge difference as well as applying thinner layers with better rollers and a little Interlux thinner. I will post pics when I get a chance.
Need to get her flipped back over and reattach the toobs. They are held on with 27 bolts on each side, not sure what kind of order to put them back on or how tight. 10-15 ft·lb ? Any thoughts?
Old 24 April 2007, 11:41   #104

Quote:
Need to get her flipped back over and reattach the toobs. They are held on with 27 bolts on each side, not sure what kind of order to put them back on or how tight. 10-15 ft·lb ? Any thoughts?
Bryan, my 590 is the same sort of setup. It's my understanding that you start at the pointy end and work backwards. The toobs might need to be stretched to fit, possibly using a cable puller gizmo or something. I assume you have nylon-lined nuts ( ) or some similar "locking" type. You don't want the toobs to come flying off of you go airborn!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 24 April 2007, 12:27   #105

Thanks Stoo that helps. It is attached with nylon locking nuts and I think I have to replace all of them, one time use deal. Need to find some ss ones though. Im hoping I don’t need to use a cable puller. I could have slid the tubes off of the guide rails that bolt to the boat but I was leery since I have heard it can be next to impossible to slide them back on so I decided to remove guide rails with the tube as a unit and reattach as removed.
Old 24 April 2007, 12:45   #106

Town: Toronto
Quote:
...not sure what kind of order to put them back on or how tight. 10-15 ft·lb ? Any thoughts?
I have done this a few times on some Hurricanes. As Stoo said, start at the bow. Insert as many bolts as you can to start, but do not tighten them. Working towards the stern I have used a couple of awls to stretch the tube and line up a few more bolt holes. Insert bolts a few at a time until you have them all started, then tighten them up. Also, if you are using a sealant between the bolt rope flange on the tube and the lip on the edge of the hull I suggest the "long open time" version of 3M 4200, and a box of disposable latex gloves. Any extra sealant left on the hull/tubes can be cleaned up with some solvent and a lot of rags. Test your new paint job before wiping with solvent!!

BTW, very nice work you guys are doing.
Old 25 April 2007, 02:59   #107

Thanks for the replies guys it is much appreciated. We will give it a shot in the next few days. Using a longer setting sealant is a smart idea thanks.
Old 26 April 2007, 00:44   #108

Hurry up, put it back together!

As the guys mentioned, bow to stern install is easiest. The hypalon naturally expands and contracts related to heating so you might experience differences when installing if one side is in the sun and one in the shade. If the holes don't line up don't panic, try inflating or deflating the sponsons somewhat or put them in the sun or in the shade depending on whether they are lining up too long or too short, it is surprising how much longer or shorter they get depending on the conditions! I use a couple of phillips screwdrivers and some small vice grips to grap a hold of the fabric and help stretch things, the screwdrivers I use to align the tube flange holes to holes on the hull flange. You may get lucky and have no problem at all, keep some soapy water in a spray bottle ( heavy on the soap) to act as a lubricant if you run into problems, it can help. You shouldn't have much trouble putting it back on. I personally would not use a sealant on the flange but I think this depends on the flange design and the water tightness of it's design.
Old 26 April 2007, 12:17   #109

If only I had a garage . It has been raining heavily here for the past 2 days and isn't going to let up till Friday night. I am not going to seal the whole flange, just the bolts / bolt holes. Yesterday I went over to my favorite store Home Depot and cleaned them out of their ss carriage bolts, nylon nuts and washers. Gets a little pricey when you have to buy 54 of everything. A lot of the original bolts are bent but we labeled all of them incase we need to reuse them. Thanks for the reply; I think using a couple screwdrivers to line up the holes is a good idea along with watching the temp of the tubes. Im still wondering just how tight to put the nuts on since I removed all of them with and air ratchet. Maybe I will just put them back on with my impact wrench
Old 01 May 2007, 00:39   #110

all quiet in Chicago....

I would have thought you guys would have already put up pics of the new improved paint job, how is it going on the refit?
Old 01 May 2007, 04:21   #111

Finished reattaching the tubes and flipping her back over this weekend. We are now trying to finish up the wiring of the console and A-frame and should be ready to launch on Wednesday lots of work ahead of us though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reatach tubes 2 .jpg
Views:	247
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	26468   Click image for larger version

Name:	reattach tubes.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	26469  
Old 01 May 2007, 04:40   #112

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Wow Bryan, that is a lot of progress. What do you do in your spare Time?
I am only just starting my project and the task list already has 100 items on it. Nice job.
Tony
Old 01 May 2007, 11:13   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I am only just starting my project and the task list already has 100 items on it. Nice job.
Shyt... My boat list is about 50 items long, and there's nothing wrong with it! My Better Half is constantly amazed at the amount of time I can spend doing "nothing" out there! Meanwhile, the "Honey-Do" list on the fridge just keeps getting longer!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 01 May 2007, 11:32   #114

Im a fitness trainer so I work early in the mornings and have most afternoons open. My girlfriend is not very happy with me right now, she doesn't like how much time I spend with my "other girlfriend" as she calls it. I haven't been gettin much sleep as of late, I was up wiring up the a-frame and console till 11 last night. Can't wait to get on the water.
Old 01 May 2007, 11:34   #115

A man and his boat

I tend to think most women will never understand the male boat owner dynamic, I own a house but am much much more concerned about the boat overall, not much worried about the homestead really.
Your boat is looking good Thing one and two, I am sure you will be terrorizing the Chicago waterfront and general boating populace of Lake Michigan shortly, I'll give the Coast guard a call to give em a heads up!
Old 01 May 2007, 11:35   #116

Quote:
My girlfriend is not very happy with me right now, she doesn't like how much time I spend with my "other girlfriend" as she calls it.
I'll send you my ex's phone number. She's starting an "ex-RIB-Spouse" support group. Don't worry Bryan, she'll come around once you get her out in a good gale and scare the beJeezuz out of her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
I own a house but am much much more concerned about the boat overall, not much worried about the homestead really.
As I explain this to the "New Improved" wife-to-be, our lives might depend on the state of the boat, whereas that is not likely to be the case with the house! She almost went for it until I spent most of Sunday afternoon waxing the hull and swilling brewskies...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 01 May 2007, 14:15   #117

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
I tend to think most women will never understand the male boat owner dynamic, I own a house but am much much more concerned about the boat overall, not much worried about the homestead really.
Oh boy, does that hit home! My wife is constantly harping about the condition of the house, yard (garden for our British friends), etc. I have to take care of the RIB, our sailboat, her racing sailboat, and various other sailboats I race on. The yard has steadily gone to pot over the past few years! The RIB is the most insidious offender, as it lives beside the house, none of the other boats are quite that easy to waste time with. Mess about with boats, or do house/yard work? No contest!

Fortunately, as she's a sailor too, she sort of gets it, but it's not the same!
Old 02 May 2007, 13:25   #118

Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Console is all together and in the boat again. Satellite radio seems to be working well and it's nice not to have to deal with a head unit. Just a small hidden amp and a portable XM reciever. The seat has been covered in Hypalon, which should be pretty sturdy. Going to put the A frame and engine back on today, let some sealants dry and we should be back in business for this weekend
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0096.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	26487   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0098.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	26488   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0102.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	26489  
Old 03 May 2007, 15:15   #119

Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Console, A frame, and engine all back on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0139.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	26517   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0146.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	26518   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0154.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	26519  
Old 03 May 2007, 17:14   #120

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Now clean the tubes, take the "Whaler" sticker off the trailer, polish the A frame & transom plate and....

Ah screw it, go RIBing!

Nice work.