Will probably go for it if all the details work out
Old 14 April 2007, 22:31   #82

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
So many things to do

Started mounting some powerful spotlights and fairing out the console which looks like swiss cheese. There have been a few times at night where being able to read the waves becomes critical. We also want to make new lettering for the boat and add 'Fat Bastard' in the same font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	26167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	26168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	26169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z4.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	26170  
Old 15 April 2007, 03:35   #83

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Since the weather has been bad here in Chicago I have begun some work on the console, seat, A-frame, stereo...
Where are you guys fitting the stereo? I'd like to hook up something, but I can't find a spot in the console for the head unit...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 13:19   #84

Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
Stoo, there wont be a head unit. The amplifier will be mounted as high up in the console as possible and the inputs will be run to the cubby under the seat. The sat radio will plug in there and will be interchangeable with an ipod. The previous owner of the boat had a head unit mounted directly below the steering wheel but I have put our switch panel there.

Linda, I would have to agree with Stoo on the build quality of Hurricanes. Since this is my first true rib I don't have too much to compare it too but everything on it seems over engineered. I will also be looking to upgrade to a 5-6 m hurricane or Avon next year. Good luck
Old 15 April 2007, 19:51   #85

Thanks Bryan. I hadn't thought of that. West MMarine carries that set-up you have so I might do the same thing....

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 16 April 2007, 02:24   #86

Stoo, when I have it all wired up I will let you know how loud it is. I would shop around though, I got one off Amazon for a pretty good deal.
Old 18 April 2007, 03:01   #87

First layer of primer done. I am sick of sanding
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010026.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	26236  
Old 18 April 2007, 03:31   #88

Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Ahhh... and the first coat of rescue orange is applied. Waiting to see how the first coat dries before adjusting paint ratio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	26237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	26238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	26239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z4.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	26240  
Old 18 April 2007, 11:10   #89

Your bro looks like a Mad Scientist at work! Shouldn't you me wearing a chem-mask?

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 April 2007, 23:14   #90

Topcoat issues

Well it appears our first layer of topcoat is a failure. It has been over 48 hours and it still scratches off easily with a fingernail. From doing a little research it seems that our first layer was too thick and temps at night were too cold. Going to need to buy a lot of sandpaper and beers for this weekend.
Old 20 April 2007, 02:58   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Going to need to buy a lot of sandpaper and beers for this weekend.
Too bad you're so far away... I can drink beer and watch other people work like nobody else!

Were you using two-part epoxy paint? I believe the ratios are very critical, but I suspect you might be onto something with the temperature too. I repainted the skid plate on mine last year with a two-part Interlux paint. There site has some good infomation relating to weather and painting...

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

On the upside, sanding is a great upper-body workout!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 20 April 2007, 12:10   #92

Stoo, I had decided to use one part interlux brightside since getting the color right with interlux perfection was going to be too complicated due to their lack of a decent yellow and keeping cost down a bit. I used a two part primer which when dry is hard as nails.

I believe the key is to roll out a very thin layer and work quickly with someone else tipping right behind you. I think the paint on the hull right now would dry but I have heard that with a thick layer like ours it can take a couple weeks and never be as durable as it should. I wish interlux listed a little more detail on application on their paint cans. My brother and I are itching to get her in the water so its time for a lot of elbow grease. I’m sure temperatures dropping into the low 40s at night didn't help things but this weekend they are supposed to be in the 70-80 range so it will be time for round two.

Thanks for the link on temp ranges and application.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:41   #93

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
paint failure

Have you tried putting some heat to the hull, say like a torpedo kerosene heater? If you could get it up to about ninety degrees it might dry out just fine, better than resanding, what a bitch! These new formulation paints are tricky, did you have an accelerator or activator for the paint you used?
One of the dash panels I painted on my boat came out like crap, although I painted three pieces with one batch of paint one piece took forever to dry, I was not sure what the problem was so when I went back to the supplier I mentioned the problem, THEN he tells me "oh yeah we have an accelerator you can use with the paint". Never mentions this to me when I initially buy the product, idiot!
Good luck guys!
Old 20 April 2007, 15:36   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
If you could get it up to about ninety degrees it might dry out just fine, better than resanding, what a bitch!
If the paint isn't really dry, the sand paper will clog up so fast you'll be sanding until August! When I painted part of my hull last year, I had the boat in my shop. I cranked up the heat overnight and by the next morning, the stuff had a beautiful hard finish.

Clearly, the message in all of this is that it's best to put off painting until the weather is warm. By then, it will be too nice to paint... so you simply avoid it forever.

When I bought my boat, I was considering the orange hull/grey tube combo. The dealer urged me to go grey on grey ("Very Gucci" was his exact comment..) largely because it didn't fade and it was an easy colour to match whn I did want to repaint.

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 20 April 2007, 18:25   #95

I just spend hours sanding that half dry paint and went through untold amounts of sandpaper. Stupid paint, stupid cold weather. Didn't get it all off but a good chunk of it. Do you think we should wait for the mostly sanded paint thats still there to dry before repainting now? I am assuming we should repaint very, very finely. A thin thin layer? I've just about had it with this whole painting thing I would have been happy to just fix that crack and cover with a layer of expoxy. It's an expedition boat not supposed to be all shiney!

dying to be on the water

Rogan
Old 20 April 2007, 19:20   #96

I think I'd be inclined to let it dry first. You might find that once it has hardened, it might be fine... Well except for the part you just sanded...

Not to make you feel bad, but I'm launching and diving tomorrow AM...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 20 April 2007, 22:05   #97

I just finished up sanding what rogan started this morning. We have just sanded of the top two thirds of the paint off and it has already started hardening up nicely. We will paint again tomorrow with better rollers, thinner paint and the temp should be in the 70s. It is important to me that water ingression and cracks are never a problem on this boat again. Aesthetics are one thing but doing a job right the first time round is what counts. Rogan and I disagree slightly on this point but hey we are brothers.

Stoo I envy you, although I hope you have a good dry suit that water must be very very cold. I am thinking of getting certified this summer how hard would it be to rent scuba gear in your area when we are up there?
Old 21 April 2007, 02:21   #98

Paint problems

Bryan, I feel your pain about getting back out on the water, especially after a crappy winter. A couple things about paint, I am always in a hurry when painting, the paint however, seldom is. Put a coat of paint on, let it dry completely, lightly sand with a fine grit and apply another coat. Take your time, it sucks, I HATE waiting for the paint but it is best you do. Make sure it is warm enough for application and also check to see if a accelerator is available for what you are using, this will make it cure faster, as I mentioned earlier, I was not even aware such a thing was available for what I was using, that sucked!
Follow the manufacturers instructions EXACTLY if you want the best result, Good Luck, I hope it goes well.. Pat
Old 21 April 2007, 02:40   #99

One other thing

If you are concerned about water getting in thru hairline cracks a barrier coat of epoxy (2 part) by interlux or another maker is the way to go, if you want to barrier coat the hull you must put the barrier coat on FIRST and THEN paint, just thought I would mention that as a point of information.
Old 21 April 2007, 05:12   #100

Thanks Pathalla, I will stop by west marine tomorrow and look into an accelerator. I did do two things already to barrier coat. First I did an entire layer of clear epoxy resin (actually two) on the hull and then removed the blush, sanded with 220 and then did two layers of interlux two part primekote which is supposed to be a good barrier coating also. So I think she should be rock solid. It is just the topcoat which gave me problems. You are right though patience at this time of year is not one of my virtues but I also had a lot of orange peel occurring so I figured I should just start over on the final coat. I will be sure to take my time this round and I have learned some valuable lessons.