Old 18 August 2009, 05:30   #1

Town: Vernon, BC
Length: 3m +
Zodiac Futura Mark 1: Your Opinion on Price?

Hi All,
I'm looking at a 1990 Mark 1 futura "xdc" model.
Seller is asking 1500 Canadian dollars (approx 830 United Kingdom Pounds or 1350 US Dollars).
I feel that's a bit steep,considering the age of the boat.
Opinions?
Any help is much appreciated,
Gary
Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG
Views:	1366
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	44979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	1715
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	44980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG
Views:	2123
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	44981  
Old 18 August 2009, 16:11   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Hmm, I overpaid for my 99 MK11 Futura. But it had a quality galvanized trailer, a strong outboard with remote controls, an aluminum floor, the zodiac console and seating too. I figured the value of the 99 hull itself to be around $600, so the deal worked for me. I have repaired the hull extensively and wouldn't cry if I had to replace it. A 1990? That is one old inflatable! Sure looks to be in good condition and may not have issues depending on storage, but it has exceeded the normal period for repair free life. Buyers generally object to your picking at seams, but if I was examining this vessel I would surreptitously give the floor to tube seams a little pick at an edge with my fingernail to see if the edges are well bonded. Since no one is going to let you pull hard on the seam to check seam strength the best way to inspect the boat is to fill it with a couple of inches of water. Any little leaks will become readily apparent. Seepage at any spot along the floor seam or transom is a strong negotiating point or deal breaker depending on your desires. A seemingly good looking seam that seeps anywhere is a give away that you will have problems soon. All that said, here in hot and sunny So Cal I would be very leery of a 1990 Zodiac. I only bought my 99 due to a lack of newer used vessels and the value in the rest of the deal. Be careful!
Old 18 August 2009, 20:16   #3

Thanks Kelson...I am trying to evaluate this boat long distance...your suggested water - fill test sounds like the way to go.
I think an offer of 500.00 CDN (450 USD) may be about right...delamination of seams seems imminent.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out,
Gary
British Columbia, Canada
Old 19 August 2009, 02:14   #4

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
1500 is way too much, as you can buy brand new, no name 12ft PVC with warranty for 1200-1300. I'd take any brand new PVC, over 19 y.o. hypalon Zodiac, regardless of what "pro" would say out there - according to my common sense.

I'd say below 800.00 will be a fair price, as in Canada the original price is always a little higher than on the US. 500.00 will be a little low, unless the overall condition is rough, buy 500.00 will be a good starting point with argument that it is "almost 20 year old sib".

Just think about it this way..I'm sure the boat will give you at least few years, may be more, of enjoyment. for an extra 700-800 you can definitely buy 25hp Merc of the same age. You'll have a lot of fun for 1500.00.

p.s. I noticed that on Kijiji/Craiglist in S.Ontario it becoming more common to see for sale a newer sib/rib for under 1000.00 cad. Play waiting game and make sure you have "want to buy" ad on Kijiji with the price you want to pay just below the "market". You'll get some people responding with something above your budget, but don't be afraid to lowball them, as there is a reason they replied to your ad in the first place. .....and always be prepared to travel fair distance for a good deal.
Old 19 August 2009, 15:50   #5

Town: Oakland CA
That's with no motor?

I'd say it's pretty steep.

Smallish SIB's come up for sale in the diving community here (California) fairly regularly in the $1K to $3K range, newer, fully kitted, with motor and trailer.

jky
Old 20 August 2009, 01:37   #6

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
By the way, as far as I know, that boat is not hypalon, it is the older strongan PVC, which was never Zodiac's best tube. I would look for a newer boat. Once they begin to fail it's a losing battle to get them to stay fixed. If it were hypalon, I wouldn't be as worried, they are good for years and can be easily fixed.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 23 August 2009, 15:47   #7

Thanks folks~

Thanks for all the input I've gotten on the boat I posted. Based on all your advice, I think I'll wait for something a little newer.
Old 24 August 2009, 01:45   #8

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
You have not seen it?
Old 24 August 2009, 17:53   #9

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Since its not super baking hot sunny in BC, PVC boats tend to last longer than they do in California or FL etc. So a 1990 is not out of service life. Its got maybe ~10yrs left.

Seams won't delaminate on a PVC boat, they are welded.

Price is a tad high. $700 US without trailer or motor is reasonable so I would offer $600. Amortized over its useful life left that's $60-70 yr.
Old 26 August 2009, 16:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Price is a tad high. $700 US without trailer or motor is reasonable so I would offer $600. Amortized over its useful life left that's $60-70 yr.
Jack; that's kind of a WAG offered as a fact (WAG = Wild A$$ed Guess)

I agree (somewhat) with your statements, but proffering a hard figure on remaining useful life without having inspected the boat or researching its history is a little on the soothsayer side of things...

My $.02;

jky
Old 29 August 2009, 14:35   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfan View Post
By the way, as far as I know, that boat is not hypalon, it is the older strongan PVC, which was never Zodiac's best tube. I would look for a newer boat. Once they begin to fail it's a losing battle to get them to stay fixed. If it were hypalon, I wouldn't be as worried, they are good for years and can be easily fixed.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art

Very well said and true.
Old 31 August 2009, 03:23   #12

I'm letting this one go, folks. I sure appreciate all the help and advice...I've learned a ton.
Old 31 August 2009, 18:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Jack; that's kind of a WAG offered as a fact (WAG = Wild A$$ed Guess)

I agree (somewhat) with your statements, but proffering a hard figure on remaining useful life without having inspected the boat or researching its history is a little on the soothsayer side of things...

My $.02;

jky
Ummm what else is the OP going to get on the internets but WAGs?

Based on appearances, NADA, and my local market conditions (and the OP is close to me) I still think that boat worth $600-700 USD. There is no way its worth $1500.

Obviously if its splitting a seam or there is hidden transom damage underneath its worth even less.
Old 01 September 2009, 15:39   #14

Jack: wasn't talking about your guess on price (pretty much everyone was in agreement on that); it was the 10 yrs thing.

It *may* have 10 years left, as you proffered; it may have less than 3 months. Kind of depends on actual condition, which is impossible to tell without seeing the boat (and may be difficult even then.)

jky
Old 01 September 2009, 21:56   #15

Up here, PVC boats are lasting quite a bit longer than in sunnier, drier more tropical locals. 2 years ago I sold a 1990 PVC Bombard that was going strong. I had bought it used in 2000 and it was stored in my gargage. With good care they can last alot longer than commonly seen.

The OP's possible purchase didn't look very faded (and the orange/red looks dreadfully obvious when sun bleached) so it seems like it was well cared for. Still not worth 1500 though.