ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by avius View Post
Splashed the 733!
She performed well for the most part, a few mechanical issues I will have to further investigate. Also the current deck layout definitely is not conducive to recreational cruising, fishing, scuba and definitely chaotic with just 3 dogs and 3 people. Mainly a single purpose set up right now; go fast in any seas and not fall out!
All in all she is water tight and tons of fun.
Stay tuned for the upgrades to come!
AV
Finally, an update! Nothing wrong with just going fast!!! You only have 3 jockey? Some have 5 which allows for a bit more seating. At least you have the sundeck in the back for the girls.

Old 15 June 2012, 19:32   #32

Town: honolulu
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin 90 mercs- petro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Finally, an update! Nothing wrong with just going fast!!! You only have 3 jockey? Some have 5 which allows for a bit more seating. At least you have the sundeck in the back for the girls.
LOL True going fast is fun, but for several hours the girls don't dig it so much! I took the two seats off the motor so the girls could lay out. On top of that each jockey seat is job specific: ones nav, the others coms. Id like to centralize that to the helm and may dump the radar in the process... if anyone is interested
I am pretty excited about the possibilities to come!
in the mean time I look foreword to your adventures to keep up the motivation!
Good Times
AV

Old 15 June 2012, 19:43   #33
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
A friend has a bracket mounted Garmin 740s on top of the throttle. Stereo/iPod are in the back console and he just put one of those little controllers up front (both Fusion and Sony make them).

My swim step is almost done. I'll post pics when complete!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avius.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	69374  
Old 25 June 2012, 16:29   #34

Yanmar 6lp

On my first splash test I started getting overheating issues and the c.water temp. light illuminated. Going thru the motor I noticed the timer controller in the picture is all busted up inside, and the wires are corroded and falling out of the harness. I have a new one on the way, but don't know which wires go where...

Can any of you 6LP owners take a picture of the wires that go into the controller, as I and my local yanmar dealer can't locate it in any diagram.

Also if you have any suggestions on troubleshooting an overheating diesel feel free flex your expertise and experiences

GOODTIMES
AV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image001.png
Views:	142
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	69679  
Old 26 June 2012, 00:15   #35

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avius
On my first splash test I started getting overheating issues and the c.water temp. light illuminated. Going thru the motor I noticed the timer controller in the picture is all busted up inside, and the wires are corroded and falling out of the harness. I have a new one on the way, but don't know which wires go where...

Can any of you 6LP owners take a picture of the wires that go into the controller, as I and my local yanmar dealer can't locate it in any diagram.

Also if you have any suggestions on troubleshooting an overheating diesel feel free flex your expertise and experiences

GOODTIMES
AV
No expertise but we had a raw water hose fall off while cruising due to a corroded hose clamp on one of our Yamaha 421 STi's.

We played around with it until we figured out what happened. As the coolant in the fresh water didn't boil over we have no reason to think the engine could have been damaged in any way.

You should be fine once you figure out how to install the new part.
Old 26 June 2012, 07:19   #36

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Replace the sea water pump impeller would be your first port of call, if you haven't already done so! If it sat for a period of time it may be distorted and not working efficiently. Then I'd get your heat exchanger cleaned or replaced! Maybe worth checking your sea water intake, that it's not block, better check that tour raw water filters not blocked up . If it sat you can get scale through the system. I've got a 6LP 315hp in my 733 and I'll try an get some photos of it next time I'm down there for you. With regards to the swim pod you where going to get, I'm looking at doing something similar but was warned about having it made from some open material like aluminium grating, something the water can go through if you come down hard off a wave. So the water doesn't rip the pod and your transom off. Food for thought! You've done well with the boat. Cheers Todd.
Old 26 June 2012, 19:16   #37

Fresh Water Side...

Guys, Thanks for the advice . Traced raw water and all appears cool and fine on that side. problem seems to stem from fresh water side, heating up mostly where the coolant water senders are( red box in picture). The freshwater tank/ exhaust manifold will be warm enough to keep my hand on for a while, while the right hand side where of the red box is much too hot to keep my hand on for a few seconds. I have read about air lock, so i took one of the three senders out to bleed off any air, but fluid burped out.

I am still very confused by it, I am not amazing at reading diagrams, so I included a piping diagram for all you brilliant guys out there.

TODD, thanks for the heads up on the trapped air exhaust issue, I will most likely build something similar to what ncp posted a few back, but with several trapped air exhaust ports. I am still debating if I want an aluminum subframe with just the deck glassed. I'll probably wait and see how ncp's platform works out before I begin mine.
By the way, thats one beautiful beast of a 733 you've got! Very elegant yet aggressive .

GoodTimes
AV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.JPG4c45aa12a43e2.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	69727   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0053.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	69728  
Old 27 June 2012, 08:54   #38

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
All the best with it mate! Wonder if it's the age old problem of the thermostat not opening at temp. Could be sticking!
Thanks for the wrap on my new boat. I love it! And it's what you said " elegant yet aggressive ". It has been totally refitted from ex navy ( RAN) and been kept basic but heavy duty. Haven't done a whole lot with her yet as the thrust bearing in the jet drive unfortunately had some moisture get in and it sat for 18 months and has a rumble in the bearing - so out she comes and oh well now we've come this far, let's touch up these little bits of corrosion- hang on, no f&@$ it, let sand blast the whole thing and re seal it so it doesn't need looking at for a few years! You know what it's like AV, with new boats, has to be good. Let you know about that wiring next time I'm at my boat! It's in dry storage 1.5 hrs from home. Cheers todd.
Old 28 June 2012, 12:13   #39

Town: Huntington Beach, CA
Boat name: Cobra, Otter, Kong:)
Make: I love zodiacs!!!~
Engine: PRefer outboards
I am blowing out a set of hypalon tubes for $2700 do you need some??
Old 28 June 2012, 13:04   #40

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by avius View Post
Guys, Thanks for the advice . Traced raw water and all appears cool and fine on that side. problem seems to stem from fresh water side, heating up mostly where the coolant water senders are( red box in picture). The freshwater tank/ exhaust manifold will be warm enough to keep my hand on for a while, while the right hand side where of the red box is much too hot to keep my hand on for a few seconds. I have read about air lock, so i took one of the three senders out to bleed off any air, but fluid burped out.
Have you inspected/replaced the fresh water pump? These are typically vane pumps but do wear out eventually.