Old 24 March 2008, 11:30   #1

Town: Dededo, Guam USA
Boat name: Kylie Girl
Make: Boston Whaler
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 100's Outboard
Zodiac 733 O/B is it worth it?

Thinking on buying a Zodiac 733 with twin 115hp O/B, I am really new to RIB's and this boat has the tubes missing... is it even worth looking into??
Old 24 March 2008, 12:24   #2

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
If you're considering the one at auction on GL it appears to be in reasonable condition and could serve you well - especially as a dive boat. The pictures don't show the deck or structural details, but if you have basic skills to make any necessary repairs it could be a great boat and well suited to your sea conditions. A new set of tubes should cost around $8-12k, plus shipping. I would suggest inspecting it to see if there are any unseen problems, such as a split hull and transom problems, and the motors - if not, it looks like it wouldn't take much to get it in the water. I'm reconditioning two similar boats now and they're uncomplicated to work on and there are many people on this forum who could offer help. good luck with it.....
bryan
Old 24 March 2008, 21:03   #3

Town: Dededo, Guam USA
Boat name: Kylie Girl
Make: Boston Whaler
Engine: Twin 100's Outboard
Yes, it is the RIB on GL. I live in the area and was thinking on picking it up for the trailer only but when I looked at the Boat it looked like the hull was made out of aluminum and might be a good Boat. The Boat looked like it had a side door, any ideas if that could be replaced?
Old 25 March 2008, 00:03   #4

If the hull is aluminum and it had a side door it would be a very uncommon version of the 733, and very interesting to work on. If, after checking it out, you decide you remain interested in the trailer but not the boat please let me know...perhaps we could work out something together to recondition it for local resale (if the bidding is low) - I would enjoy the possibility of getting back out into the Pacific for a while. If you want the boat also I definately would not bid against you, and would be happy to offer any advice you might find useful. If you prefer, contact me directly at sunrider@lisco.com.
bryan
Old 25 March 2008, 05:36   #5

Town: Seattle
What is GL?

Is it an auction website?
Old 25 March 2008, 13:20   #6

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Your answer

Government liquidation, it's an online auction website, they sell a lot of fixer uppers and some that are complete junk. Pick and choose carefully and you may find a gem! http://www.govliquidation.com/
Old 25 March 2008, 21:13   #7

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
GSA auctions

Another interesting site for project ribs is GSA auctions. Right now they have five 24 ft willards up for bid. http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/ will get you to the boats. A couple don't look too bad. GSA tends to have better condition boats then the GL site. As always, buyer beware, what you see is what get, sometimes worse.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 26 March 2008, 01:35   #8

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
I bought a Zodiac Hurricane 630 on Gov Liquidation. The tubes needed a lot of wrok, I got about $2,000 into repairs into them but that was cheaper than spending $10,000 on a new set. You really have to inspect the boats. Plan on having all the fuel tanks pumped out and cleaned, and the engines completely rebuilt or replaced, and the fuel lines replaced.

If you have to repower the whole boat and buy new tubes, you are looking at $30,000 to get this up and running. You can get a nice used RIB that is a couple of years old in the 22 to 24 foot range for $30 to $50 k so keep that in mind when you bid.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:24   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
I bought a Zodiac Hurricane 630 on Gov Liquidation. The tubes needed a lot of wrok, I got about $2,000 into repairs into them but that was cheaper than spending $10,000 on a new set. You really have to inspect the boats. Plan on having all the fuel tanks pumped out and cleaned, and the engines completely rebuilt or replaced, and the fuel lines replaced.

If you have to repower the whole boat and buy new tubes, you are looking at $30,000 to get this up and running. You can get a nice used RIB that is a couple of years old in the 22 to 24 foot range for $30 to $50 k so keep that in mind when you bid.
Hi there
Interesting and realistic info. I would be interested in what you had to do and spend on the tubes. I am in the process of repairing mine and have probably spent $500 so far. Plus about 150 hours of work but they are nearly done.
Cheers, T.
Old 26 March 2008, 02:38   #10

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
where are the people in this country who specialize in repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Hi there
Interesting and realistic info. I would be interested in what you had to do and spend on the tubes. I am in the process of repairing mine and have probably spent $500 so far. Plus about 150 hours of work but they are nearly done.
Cheers, T.
Just thought I would add this as a comment, I don't think I have ever seen anyone in the U.S.A. who does repair work on rib sponsons post on this forum? Now maybe they don't know about Ribnet but it seems with the internet age they surely would have located it by now?? Seems curious to me, personally I am fairly persistent and resourceful as most people on this forum and was able to figure out where to go to or how to repair my boat but it seems there could be quite a bit of money made for the right person who threw out their business card on this forum... What do ya think?
Old 26 March 2008, 15:52   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
We have a guy in Alameda who does work on tubes; I don't think he builds new sets, but he does a lot of repairs. His Internet presence leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.salsinflatableservices.com/

jky
Old 26 March 2008, 20:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Hi there
Cheers, T.
The project I did is posted on here, just search under my username.

Materials including Tuff-Coat- $1,000
I paid somebody to spray the tubes with Tuff Coat- $1,000
100 hours of time put into repairing the boat

All in including engine repairs, replacement of safety gear, repairing trailer, etc. $8,000 approximately. The RIB looks brand new now and it very seaworthy. Engines have less than 300 hours on them.
Old 26 March 2008, 20:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
The project I did is posted on here, just search under my username.

Materials including Tuff-Coat- $1,000
I paid somebody to spray the tubes with Tuff Coat- $1,000
100 hours of time put into repairing the boat

All in including engine repairs, replacement of safety gear, repairing trailer, etc. $8,000 approximately. The RIB looks brand new now and it very seaworthy. Engines have less than 300 hours on them.
I also used Tuff Coat but only did the upper panel of the tubes as they were threadbare due to divers sitting on them and I rollered the stuff on. I am amazed that you spent $1000 on Tuff coat. I spent $80.00 for one kit that did 25/% of a 7 m. boat. Where did you buy it from. On reflection paying someone $1000 to spray them may have been a good idea for me. Including engine repair I probably got $2000 into it on top of the $10,000 I purchased it for. Enjoy your new boat, mine will be launched next week.
Old 26 March 2008, 20:59   #14

How does the Tuff Coat look after some time and useage? I've never used the stuff but have considered it many times and would appreciate hearing any experiences users might have had...also, any recommendations on what type of spray system to use (HVLP?), tip used and degree of thinning that works best. thanks in advance....
Old 27 March 2008, 02:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
How does the Tuff Coat look after some time and useage? I've never used the stuff but have considered it many times and would appreciate hearing any experiences users might have had...also, any recommendations on what type of spray system to use (HVLP?), tip used and degree of thinning that works best. thanks in advance....
Hi Brian
I would not call myself an experienced user, but here goes. The stuff seems to do what is advertised, It is certainly very Tough, particularly the undercoat which is gray. I suspect the top coat will scratch if hit hard by something sharp, but is very easy to touch up. No , it will not look like new as the texture is different to hypalon. I do not see how sprayed application would work if there are threadbare areas or frayed seam edges. I brush painted the edges with a 1/2inch brush ( thinned) and then rollered. I had to put on up to 3 coats of undercoat and sand in between on the bad spots. then two coats of thinned top coat. Needless to say the prep. is the time consuming part. Ideally everything needs to be done indoors. Another huge factor is that if you have multi colored tubes ( mine are red and black) you will spend a huge amount of time masking off as it has to be done for each coat. However it does do what it says. I had areas up to 2 sq.. ft. that were threadbare and leaked badly, but the first undercoat sealed them in 24 hours. If you have any other questions give me a call.
Regards, Tony
Old 27 March 2008, 22:52   #16

Your right, I only spent $500 on Tuffcoat. I got 4 full kits for $446 plus one additional top coat kit for $50.
Old 27 March 2008, 22:55   #17

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4416 (Large).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	33658   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4417 (Large).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	33659   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4418 (Large).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	33660   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4420 (Large).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	33661   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4473 (Large).jpg
Views:	331
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	33662  

Old 28 March 2008, 00:17   #18

thanks for the info on Tuff Coat...does anyone have any idea how it looks after a few seasons in the water?
Old 28 March 2008, 02:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
thanks for the info on Tuff Coat...does anyone have any idea how it looks after a few seasons in the water?
Dunno, I started mine in May of last year then had to take a break due to med. problems. it sat outside for six months in the AZ sun. No problems.
I will post some pics of the finished job in the next few days. Even if it does crap out after a few years, you can refresh the top coat for under $50.00 and about a days work. Better than spending 12 grand on new ones when I only paid 10 grand for the whole rig.
Old 28 March 2008, 05:11   #20

Town: Delta BC Can
Length: no boat
zodiac joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Just thought I would add this as a comment, I don't think I have ever seen anyone in the U.S.A. who does repair work on rib sponsons post on this forum? Now maybe they don't know about Ribnet but it seems with the internet age they surely would have located it by now?? Seems curious to me, personally I am fairly persistent and resourceful as most people on this forum and was able to figure out where to go to or how to repair my boat but it seems there could be quite a bit of money made for the right person who threw out their business card on this forum... What do ya think?
I guess i am the person your looking for my name is joe i have 10 years experience repairing inflatables. this is my first time on rib net.