Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
You asked about fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
Let us know if you save much on gas with the new one. Wondering if the savings in gas makes up for the output for motor.
In another thread, I mentioned that I was replacing my 2-stoke 150 with a new 4 stroke, both Yamahas...

Yesterday, I did a "typical" run into Lake Erie, with a diving friend (a 260 pound one...), our dive gear, (2 sets of doubles, plus deco bottles, weight belts, dry suits etc. etc). The total length of our trip was 62 miles out and back. Average speed was 32 mph.

I refuelled this am and found that we burned about 9/10 of a litre per mile. Typically, I would have burned close to 1.5 litres per mile with the old engine, so it is a significant reduction.

I am using a little higher pitch prop which might account for some of the savings, as I seem to be getting about 1-2 mph more speed at the same revs.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 15:54   #2

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Stoo, both are 150's? And what is the weight difference between the two?

Thanks
John
Old 29 September 2008, 21:01   #3

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Yes, both 150s. The original was a V6, this one is an inline 4. I think I read that the new one was 46 pounds heavier than the most recent 150 2-stroke. But, the dealer I got it from thinks that it might actually be slightly lighter than my 2-stroke, which was 13 years old. (I guess he figures the newer 2 strokes were being made lighter than the old pigs.)

I certainly don't see the boat floating any differently than it did before in terms of freeboard at the transom. I hang two spare fuel tanks on my frame at the back of the boat and when these are full, they weigh about 80 pounds, so even if the engine is heavier, it isn't noticable... (And with the greater range, I probably won't need to keep the tanks full...)

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 02 October 2008, 11:06   #4

Stoo,

Great info and thanks. I'll eventually be replacing the 2 stroke 115 on my rib for a 4 stroke, within 1-2 years when cash flow allows it. Makes sense in every which way you look at it but for my tunnel boat 4 stroke is still not a good option for high performance HP.

The 2 stroke 115 on my 20ft RIB does quite well for now at cruising speed and even with a few bursts on the throttle I get 80km on 40L of fuel and 4 people onboard pushing a 21 cleaver.

Can't beleive the season is almost done here.

Cheers
John
Old 03 October 2008, 00:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Can't beleive the season is almost done here.
I have been pleased with the performance so far. I have yet to put my original prop on to compare. This might solve the "slugishness" I feel. Certainly it's as fast as the 2-stroke. I don't miss the cloud of blue smoke and the fussy starting.

I was very close to buying an Etec, but there seem to be issues around cold weather so I'm starting to think I made the right decision...

As you point out, the season is winding up, but I wil likely be using my boat until early December. I am doing a survey for a potential salvage project in Lake Muskoka next week, and if that goes forward we'll be pushing ice chunks I suspect before we get finished!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 03 October 2008, 12:17   #6

I'm fairly new to Yamaha but not to boats at all since I was introduced to boating by my dad from birth. I was faithfull to Mercury all my life and for high performance still love their product. After doing some extensive mechanics the last year or so on Yamaha outboards I can truly say they have great products. As many say in the U.S. on Scream & Fly forum, if Yamaha would start a racing program like Mercury they would surely be a threat on the market.

I beleive you made an excelent choice with your new purchase and shouldn't have any regrets what's so ever. My 2 stroke 115 Yami is very easy to start no matter the weather, especially after I dialled in the carbs and timing.

Where expecting some -2 to -5c mornings here within the next week so won't be much longer.
Old 04 October 2008, 11:41   #7

Quote:
I beleive you made an excelent choice with your new purchase and shouldn't have any regrets what's so ever.
I hope so. I had had some serious problems with my old Yamaha... seizing two heads over the years... for inexplicable reasons. Everyone kept telling me that that seemed very unusual! I hope so...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 04 October 2008, 12:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I hope so. I had had some serious problems with my old Yamaha... seizing two heads over the years... for inexplicable reasons. Everyone kept telling me that that seemed very unusual! I hope so...
Yamaha had issues on some V-4's & V-6's from certain years concerning head gasket faillure. Not certain what years exactly off the top of my head.
Old 04 October 2008, 22:06   #9

Quote:
Yamaha had issues on some V-4's & V-6's from certain years concerning head gasket faillure. Not certain what years exactly off the top of my head.
That sounds about right. The first time, the head gasket failed and allowed water into the cylinder... rust... bang...

The second time, there was a little check valve in an oil line that might have failed allowing for a brief period of bad lubrication each time I fired the beast up.

In fairness, I put a gazillion hours on these things, but at $8,000 a pop, I'd likr to avoid replacing one again!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 05 October 2008, 12:21   #10

Quote:
The second time, there was a little check valve in an oil line that might have failed allowing for a brief period of bad lubrication each time I fired the beast up.
That's the only thing that always worries me about the 2 strokes, will the lube system fail at one point or another. I know that in high performance set up's especially in outboard drag the guy's remove the lube system and use premixed fuel. But than again they use 97 octane or even much higher which they don't really care about fuel economy at all.

Did you go out yesterday? I haven't touched my boat in 2 weeks. No time and work is slow around here for me on contract jobs. Hoping to do at least 1-2 more runs on the Ottawa river between my place and Montebello plus one in the Thousand Islands near Rockport. Want to see what fuel economy I do in colder air/water enviroment so I can compare with this summer.

Cheers
John
Old 05 October 2008, 20:23   #11

I haven't been out this weekend at all... Too much stuff on the go. We're hoping to cross from Tob to Kilarney nextweekend for a little camping, but it's a little over 50 miles each way, so pretty weather dependent...

Interesting you mention Rockport... We're down there the next weekend for a little diving... staying at the Boathouse. Are you diving?

Regarding the 2-strokes, that was always the solution... run pre-mix... But that's such a pain with a built in tank...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 05 October 2008, 23:02   #12

Quote:
I haven't been out this weekend at all... Too much stuff on the go. We're hoping to cross from Tob to Kilarney nextweekend for a little camping, but it's a little over 50 miles each way, so pretty weather dependent...

Interesting you mention Rockport... We're down there the next weekend for a little diving... staying at the Boathouse. Are you diving?

Regarding the 2-strokes, that was always the solution... run pre-mix... But that's such a pain with a built in tank...
No sorry no diving this year and too bad because I have many wrecks from Valleyfield to Kingston maped out on my GPS. Plus I haven't gone diving in 2 years but come spring time that will change. You bringing your boat?

Next season I'll make certain to plan on going your way and meet in person. Always wanted to go boating and/or dive towards Toby. Plus camping I like as well, nothing like a great adventure. I'll be re-fitting my RIB towards the end of winter with a bigger fuel tank and so on to have a better range. As mentioned before I do pretty good now but need much better for isolated trips.

Cheers
John
Old 06 October 2008, 01:41   #13

Quote:
No sorry no diving this year and too bad because I have many wrecks from Valleyfield to Kingston maped out on my GPS. Plus I haven't gone diving in 2 years but come spring time that will change. You bringing your boat?
Oh ya... the big drag through Trawna... always an adventure! I'm coming down with the Missus and a girlfriend. It's generally fairy sheltered in the river so we save this trip up until the end of the season. It's great diving down there for sure!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 06 October 2008, 14:07   #14

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
I'm coming down with the Missus and a girlfriend.

Now there's a man that knows how to live close to the edge.
Old 06 October 2008, 15:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Now there's a man that knows how to live close to the edge.
LOL... Na, those two are best pals... They are both former diving students and I introduced them to one another. It seems to work just fine!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 06 October 2008, 15:07   #16

Quote:
Oh ya... the big drag through Trawna... always an adventure! I'm coming down with the Missus and a girlfriend. It's generally fairy sheltered in the river so we save this trip up until the end of the season. It's great diving down there for sure!

Weather forcast is looking to be in the 18-20c for that area, should be really nice if theirs no wind at all too.
Old 21 October 2008, 01:01   #17

Quote:
Weather forcast is looking to be in the 18-20c for that area, should be really nice if theirs no wind at all too.
We had a gorgeous weekend... again. We spent Saturday on the St. Lawrence, but then shuffled over to Kingston on Sunday. The lake just had that nice little chop of 4 or 5 inches that makes a boat kick up and go...

The new engine continues to impress... we hit 49.1 mph coming in with 3 people, and 6 dive tanks! And there was still room on the throttle...

www.wetspotimages.com