Old 16 January 2015, 15:49   #1
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Willard versus Zodiac

After ten years of rib ownership I have finally come to the conclusion that I am addicted.
I still feel they are way over priced, but probably cheaper than a wife and kids.

I've decided that my next, and hopefully last rib will be a 7M.

Probably going to be a Willard or a Zodiac.

I've seen multiple configurations with the diesel inboard outboard, single outboard, and twin outboard. Not sure which is best for me, but I imagine it will come down to price and availability.

I boat all year round, and I go out in most conditions, up to about 40 miles offshore.

Is there much difference in hull/tube configuration regarding performance between the 733 Hurricane, and it's Wllard counterpart?
Old 16 January 2015, 16:12   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
After ten years of rib ownership I have finally come to the conclusion that I am addicted.
I still feel they are way over priced, but probably cheaper than a wife and kids.

I've decided that my next, and hopefully last rib will be a 7M.

Probably going to be a Willard or a Zodiac.

I've seen multiple configurations with the diesel inboard outboard, single outboard, and twin outboard. Not sure which is best for me, but I imagine it will come down to price and availability.

I boat all year round, and I go out in most conditions, up to about 40 miles offshore.

Is there much difference in hull/tube configuration regarding performance between the 733 Hurricane, and it's Wllard counterpart?
I'd say it's defiantly worth the effort to give them both a Sea Trial if you can(and maybe some other makes of that size range) and not necessarily take other people's word for it.
Ofcourse it will help if you decide roughly on the configeration you want to go for...from the list you gave.
I'm sure most owners would be happy to let you helm and trial thier Boats for a few dollars towards Juice..as would most serious sellers/and or retailers.I know that's the way it works here.
It's a big investment after all,although with 10 yrs experience I reckon you may have some idea on which you think is best for you??
Good luck in your search!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 16:27   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
For the most part the topsides of the Willard and zodiacs are the similar. The tubes and other structural components are mostly interchangeable, to the point where it's hard to know if its design or just final fitting differences. Ryan Pratt on here owns several and says there are some slight differences in the hull. I only have an older zodiac so I can speak to that. The rumor mill says Willard got the molds from zodiac but I'm not sure that's ever been independently verified. I'm not sure there is enough of a performance difference to justify one over the other when looking to buy. I have a slightly older hull and ended up out in a small craft advisory without knowing it but frustrated that me and my 10 year old some could only manage low 20s Mph comfortably though the swell and chop.

Diesel, single, or twins are a whole internet worth of discussion. If you buy a running one you usually have diesel or twins to chose from. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I run a single but that because i built it and twins cost too much for me.

If you're ever around the central coast let me know and we can go for a spin.

Jason
Old 17 January 2015, 03:27   #4

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
Willard all the way. I just got two new to me 1998 Zodiac 733's and have 4 Willard 730's and i would say performance is very similar. the zodiacs are a hair faster maybe 2-3 knots but the willards keep in a sea better and are dryer. But the big selling point for me is the construction on the Willards and the fact that their is no wood in hull, deck or transome. The only spot on a willard that has wood would be the lifting streaks that are balsa. and are laid on after the hull so they are easy to fix and non structural. If you are in South florida any time i can take you for a ride on both. But i would pick a willard every time if i had a chance, but also would not shy away from a 733 if available both are incredible boats!
Old 17 January 2015, 04:45   #5

My '86 zodiac is all foam or fiberglass too. Every hole i fixed in my hull was solid fiberglass, strakes too I believe, there was a hole in one. The bow the crashed onto a dock was an inch of solid roving.

I'm still curious what's different in the hull. It's the same width and length, the tubes are interchangeable. Changes in the dead rise along the hull? From pictures they look as similar as can be.

Jason
Old 17 January 2015, 04:56   #6

yes and no

i have had zodiacs that were pre 1995 and they had balls decks and ply transoms. Some of the tubes are interchangeable pre 1989. the boats i have worked on change do a hull truck bolt rope on zodiacs and a gunsel mount bolt rope. i would not say tubes are interchangeable after 1989 +-. the hulls are very similar but tubes and construction differ. that is my real world experience and that which i have seen first hand. I'm not saying all meet these specs but rather that the ones i have worked on do.
Old 17 January 2015, 05:03   #7

question?

what size is your zodiac? have you seen your transoms core? is if foam or ply? some small Zodiacs 540's and smaller have a very different build as they can assume most of their integrity from their hull and decks and don't require much else.
Old 17 January 2015, 06:42   #8

24'(7m). Foam core in the transom and everywhere else. I got pictures somewhere of the out drive hole and the visible internal foam.

I read an article that said the zodiacs went to the slide on tubes in 1990. This is about the only outside info info I have found. http://www.powerboatandrib.com/index...c-cz7-heritage

Jason
Old 17 January 2015, 15:44   #9
zip

Thanks Jason and Ryan

I have just spent the last three hours reading your threads regarding these amazing vessels.

You two appear to have a pretty extensive Dali Lama type knowledge.

Jason, that was quite a read on your build up, thanks for the offer of the ride. Where on the Central Coast you located?

Ryan, Why do you have so many of these boats? Do you build and sell?
Old 17 January 2015, 19:17   #10

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Not all 733's are the same either. There is a small difference the the width of the bow on some boats. Hurricane will not build a set of new tubes now without knowing the serial number. They look back at build sheets to verify which style hull. I had a customer buy a set of tubes without giving the serial number a while back and we had to relocate the front eight feet of bolt rope. Some are narrower than others.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 02:44   #11

I've picked up most of what I know here and google. I also had a couple conversations with hurricane in Canada but that was mostly specifics about my boat, not a lot of history offered from them. I tried to get the zodiac to Willard connection verified but they didn't answer.

I launch out of Morro bay mostly. Thanks it was a lot of work for one person who's never done anything like that before.

Ryan owns a sea tow franchise in Florida so he's got several big gorgeous ribs for work boats. Look for his build thread, it a whole different universe from mine.

Jason
Old 18 January 2015, 02:51   #12
zip

Jason,

Yep, I read both of your builds. Different, but pretty detailed and thorough.
Thanks.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:10   #13

YEs

We do build and sell and we also run them for work. We run a commercial towing and salvage company. We can build from a full Bluewater work boat to a familey or yacht tender, if you can dream it we can build it!
Old 18 January 2015, 03:26   #14
zip

Ryan, do you have a Willard or Zodiac for sale at this time?
Old 18 January 2015, 03:48   #15

yes.

I have a bare 730 Willard and a 640 Zodiac Hurricane. The willard is only for sale as a build not as a bare hull thought.
Old 18 January 2015, 12:04   #16
zip

Ryan

PM sent.