Click Here to Login

Old 18 May 2009, 20:12   #1

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
What to do for a few evenings in SAn Francisco?

Ok, so next week, I have a business trip to San Francisco, arriving on Monday evening and leaving Thursday evening.

On the assumption that I might get the evenings to myself (probably not much chance of that), or that I might go a day or 2 early and explore, what are the MUST DOs?

Cheers guys
Old 18 May 2009, 21:04   #2

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Don't drop anything and bend over to pick it up.
Old 18 May 2009, 22:45   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Must do's in SF? Depends on your mindset, I suppose. I don't find the City all that interesting, myself.

But, since you ask:

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge (however, if you're by yourself, you'll have to walk back, too); Eat at/Visit Fisherman's Wharf and/or Pier 39; Ride the Cable Cars; Take a cruise around the Bay/Alcatraz; Catch the sunset at the Cliff House (if it's still there); Shop along Union Square; Visit Chinatown; See Lombard Street (the crookedest street in the world, reputedly); Visit Coit Tower (took me about 5 minutes); Visit the strip clubs in North Beach/Broadway (actually, there are some pretty good restaurants there, as well); Visit the home of the Hippie movement along Haight Ashbury (don't go too late at night unless you're armed); Barhopping in the Mission, Haight, Union Square (upscale), Polk (gay), Castro (probably gay), Financial (mostly upscale), Embarcadero, or Market St areas.

Do a web search for "Things to do in SF" and you should be able to fill about a month long visit with plans.

Have fun;

jky
Old 19 May 2009, 07:40   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
A wander round Pier 39 can be quite amusing for a while, or you could have an overpriced sea food meal in one of the many restaurants surrounding it. I'd take the ferry over to Sausalito though, and soak up the history and culture, together with a few beers and a meal, then take the bus back to the bridge for a leisurely walk across it.
Old 19 May 2009, 16:43   #5

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Well, I suppose the tourista thing is cool if you have never been there before, but most of that stuff is crowded and only mildly interesting to me. If you have an evening free sign on to www.jambase.com and run a search on your dates. Lot's of great venues in SF like Slim's (owned by Boz Scaggs) that will have good tunes even if they aren't hosting a big performer that night. Places like the Fillmore are legendary concert venues and you might catch someone you really want to see. Check it out on Jambase.

There are a ton of expensive places to eat. I tend to gravitate to brew pubs and more midrange fare. Gordon Birsch right on the waterfront down by the Bay bridge is pretty much of a chain place, but it is a good place for a beer, the view of the bridge and a reasonable crowd if there isn't a baseball game on at the park (well, better than anything up the street around Fisherman's Wharf). For great pizza at a low key place try North Beach Pizza (near Coit Tower) for the locals favorite. Upscale Italian at Kuleto's near Union Square (very nice original location). Breakfast late with the locals at Pier 23 (a classic dive).

I'm sure you will have a good time, but I must admit that I spent most of my last trip in Union Square at the Virgin Megastore trolling for obscure CD's. Have fun!