Old 03 December 2011, 16:29   #11
Town: Leesburg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 40
Another advantage to a RIB is that for an given size a RIB is much lighter than a hard boat. This allows for smaller engines (with their benefits) and makes trailering quite a bit easier.

A 16' RIB w/engine will weigh around 700#. A 16' FG boat will be at least 1000# heavier.

However, there can be some disadvantages to a boat that is too light.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2011, 09:24   #12
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Think about it...a rib will float when full of water, and with all the tubes punctured...therefore so will a hardboat although Boston Whalers are certainly the only ones to sell themselves on this.
Depends how the hardboat is constructed, I wouldn't have fancied filling my old hardboat with water, it would have definately sank!

chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2011, 09:44   #13
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Plenty of pros an cons for a Rib, some more subjective than others. But there is an important aspect to buoyance and that is stability. It's correct that most hardboats(I guess all modern designs) floats filled with water but i think none of them maintains a reasonable stability in that condition.

I would not worry too much if stuffing badly my SR, pretty sure to be OK if /when empty it with the elephant trunks. I don't know any hard boat of similar size i would not worry in... they typically have the buoyancy much lower so the boat rather turn it selves upside down than keeping it stable as a RIB. This makes a big difference a day things goes wrong.
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2011, 10:49   #14
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
In southern California for the distances and area you are boating in, I think you might be better off with a hard boat. The seas aren't too big on days you'd actually be at Catalina. The sun will cook your tube fabric. You'll be messing with tube pressure more than you'd like even if you do have overpressure valves (if they drain a bit in the midday sun you'll need to top them off later in the day or the next morning). You're not diving just sightseeing, a cabin would probably be an asset. You could overnight in a suitable hard boat cuddy cabin.

captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote