Old 12 December 2006, 04:01   #1

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Went to see "The Gaurdian" last night...

Watched the movie about USCG rescue swimmers starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher yesterday. I wasn't expecting too much because, well, it starred Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher, but because of the topic and that there might be some good RIB scenes in it, I went.

While there wasn't much by way of RIBs in the movie, it was actually a pretty fine movie all the same. It was definitely worth the 3 dollars at the 2nd run theater, heck, even if I paid $ 6 I'd have been happy with it. As a matter of fact, if the DVD comes out at a dirt cheap price, I'll buy a copy for my library (which is saying alot considering how cheap I am).

I googled some reviews of the movie, and and an active coastie commented that the movie is for the most part quite accurate with the exception of the occasional thing being a little skewed for dramatic effect. On the whole I think the movie does a real good job of paying tribute to the bravery of the coasties and is also a pretty darn entertaining movie.

I highly recommend it.
Old 12 December 2006, 10:29   #2

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Watched the movie about USCG rescue swimmers starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher yesterday. I wasn't expecting too much because, well, it starred Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher, but because of the topic and that there might be some good RIB scenes in it, I went.

While there wasn't much by way of RIBs in the movie, it was actually a pretty fine movie all the same. It was definitely worth the 3 dollars at the 2nd run theater, heck, even if I paid $ 6 I'd have been happy with it. As a matter of fact, if the DVD comes out at a dirt cheap price, I'll buy a copy for my library (which is saying alot considering how cheap I am).

I googled some reviews of the movie, and and an active coastie commented that the movie is for the most part quite accurate with the exception of the occasional thing being a little skewed for dramatic effect. On the whole I think the movie does a real good job of paying tribute to the bravery of the coasties and is also a pretty darn entertaining movie.

I highly recommend it.
Ola P.T. yep seen movie recently, I thought it was excellent and gives people an idea of what job not to have.
I thought the movie plot was a bit tame as it really is about a guy who commits himself to a cause for the wrong reasons and I would not wish one of my sons to do it for that reason.
As usual, poor old Kevin Costner buys it in the end, reminded me of "message in a bottle" for God sake, does he have to die in all the movies.
He seemed a lost soul in this one...
It reminds me of a bit like TOP GUN, as in it would be a Coastguard Cult movie if you cut the crap out of it, same as Top Gun would have been a great movie to watch over if it was not for the Love affair...

More Action please, dont mind the story, I think the Sum of all fears was great so too Black hawk down....All action
Old 12 December 2006, 17:44   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
same as Top Gun would have been a great movie to watch over if it was not for the Love affair...
And the fact that all air combat took place at a range of about 50 feet...

jky
Old 12 December 2006, 22:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
And the fact that all air combat took place at a range of about 50 feet...

jky

What took place at 50ft? The love affair????
Dont tell me that whats his name cannot fly a jet....
F...off you! ya gotta be bustin my chops

Never thought of that seriously, i guess i am a blond after all..
Ok so Rambo was never shot cos he is only 4 ft 2" and the gun sights didnt go that low, what about Gov of California..
question for 2 points. WHo is taller?
Danny devito or Sly Stallone.

A. Who cares!
Only messin

What films do you like dude?
Old 01 January 2007, 19:06   #5

Quote:
What films do you like dude?
Generally, if you get to close range (gun range), you've screwed up and let them get too close. The Aim-9L and M had a range of about 10 miles, and decent all aspect performance. The new Aim-9X has a range of something over 20 miles, and excellent all aspect performance. AMRAAM (AIM-120; the Sparrow replacement) has a range of around 50 miles, and Phoenix (AIM-54) has a range of over 100 miles. Doesn't leave much reason to go Winchester on a bandit.

Movies? Me?

There hasn't really been a decent air combat movie. Ever. Air combat doesn't lend itself to being accurately portrayed on the big screen. Especially modern air combat.

Top Gun at least had planes flying, though, and showed some decent carrier deck action; I'll give them that. If you want to bounce the production acm against real world stuff, watch teh scene where they get their first briefing at the TopGun school: they have a bunch of gun camera footage the students are watching.

Ignoring the way-too-close-in stuff, I liked Tuskegee Airmen, Tora, Tora, Tora (not much air-to-air stuff, though), The Right Stuff (again, no ACM), can't really think of too many more.

I prefer to read accounts of air battles; much more satisfying to me.

jky
Old 01 January 2007, 19:35   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Generally, if you get to close range (gun range), you've screwed up and let them get too close. The Aim-9L and M had a range of about 10 miles, and decent all aspect performance. The new Aim-9X has a range of something over 20 miles, and excellent all aspect performance. AMRAAM (AIM-120; the Sparrow replacement) has a range of around 50 miles, and Phoenix (AIM-54) has a range of over 100 miles. Doesn't leave much reason to go Winchester on a bandit.

Movies? Me?

There hasn't really been a decent air combat movie. Ever. Air combat doesn't lend itself to being accurately portrayed on the big screen. Especially modern air combat.

Top Gun at least had planes flying, though, and showed some decent carrier deck action; I'll give them that. If you want to bounce the production acm against real world stuff, watch teh scene where they get their first briefing at the TopGun school: they have a bunch of gun camera footage the students are watching.

Ignoring the way-too-close-in stuff, I liked Tuskegee Airmen, Tora, Tora, Tora (not much air-to-air stuff, though), The Right Stuff (again, no ACM), can't really think of too many more.

I prefer to read accounts of air battles; much more satisfying to me.

jky

Once they took off "Memphis Belle" is a fine movie.
Old 02 January 2007, 05:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Once they took off "Memphis Belle" is a fine movie.
Well, I'm sure I missed quite a few good ones, but I'm working on sleep-deprived memory. Not that sleep would help, mind you, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

jky
Old 06 February 2007, 11:32   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I finally got around to renting this... What kind of freekin' Coast Guard movie doesn't have RIBs in it???

Fairly entertaining all in all...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 21:28   #9

Hey SToo, I would not fancy being out there in Rib//

How come you have this as video, It s stillin our movies I am sure.....
Old 08 February 2007, 00:32   #10

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Hey SToo, I would not fancy being out there in Rib//

How come you have this as video, It s stillin our movies I am sure.....
Actually... I bought it in the bargain bin at the local grocer for $9.99... I think it was in the theatres here for about a week... yet another indication of our lack of connection to the sea in these parts... sigh....

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote