Old 12 October 2008, 03:18   #1
V2d

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Noname
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
US Navy 7M Ribs

Anyone have any experience with the Willard 7M RIBS? I am considering getting one. I know there is work involved but as a mechanic, I have no worries.
Old 13 October 2008, 04:31   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
No experience with them, nor have I ever heard of any other owners.

Quite a bit of info on their website, though:

http://www.willardmarine.com/

jky
Old 16 October 2008, 03:05   #3

Town: Palm City, FL
Boat name: Mick 1, McRIB
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel Stern Drives
I have no direct experience with any of those Willard RIBS but I have always been intrigued. I have bid on a few, but they always exceed my limit. The last time GSA had them on auction one boat never sold because it did not meet the minimum reserve set by GSA. The others sold for around $8K to $14K. From what I am told by people who operated them for the Navy they are good boats, although under powered for anything but harbor use. That Cummins diesel is around 165hp. It is similar to the model installed in the Dodge trucks. The age of the tubes are an issue. Repair and refurbishment of the existing tubes will be a challenge. Better plan on new tubes. The hull should be sound if supported correctly on the ship. I would definitely look at the boat before I bid on one. Better yet have a surveyor look at it.
MASATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 03:33   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Contact Sunrider, a member of this forum and in the US. he has rebuilt at least 3.
Old 16 October 2008, 03:47   #5

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Yes, I've reconditioned a few of them....just did sea trials on this one last weekend and will offer it for sale soon. they're great boats...and if you get one with the Konrad drive you're in luck. This one is a 315 Cummins turning a Hamilton 273 jet - and I did a lot of upgrades during the refit. I would say Willard is a good choice...the hull is a match for the Zodiac 730; both sold to the military under the same specifications and the hull has proven itself in heavy weather many times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1648.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	38177   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1655.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	38178  
Old 16 October 2008, 08:46   #6

Town: SoCal- Huntington Beach
Make: Nautica, Henderson30
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135 V6 Mercury O/B
wow sunrider that RIB is off the hook. I just picked up a 19' Nautica project boat. I was looking for a ex Navy RIB first. How much will you be asking for that one? is that a Willard?
Old 16 October 2008, 16:09   #7

Yes, it's a Willard - made in 1999 for Navy Special Operations use. I haven't set a price yet because I want to do some market research first on whether the economy is having an effect on prices. There are other Zodiacs and Willards like this on the market now (without jet or the custom upgrades) and they are priced from $32k to $85k so that's quite a range. I'm aware of two that recently sold that were basically stock surplus Willards that were reconditioned - one sold for $36k and the other for $56k - and I know of an ex-law enforcement Zodiac 730 with twin outboards that didn't sell at $25k. .....not sure what to make of all that info at the moment so may list it on eBay to test the market. thanks for the interest and good luck with your Nautica project.
bryan
Old 16 October 2008, 17:49   #8

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Willard has been around a long long time. They built trawlers for ages and recently switched to more lucrative lines like the RIBs you're seeing. I would trust their layups for sure.
Old 17 October 2008, 12:24   #9

I've just posted my Willard for sale on eBay: here's the item number 130262984778. Will post this notice in a seperate thread here also for those who may be interested.
Old 28 October 2008, 04:54   #10

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
there's a video on here of a refurbished one running. the link is right below the picture

allthingsrib.com
Old 03 November 2008, 18:48   #11

Town: Point Loma, CA USA
Make: Willard Marine
Engine: Cummins/Konrad 520
Willard Marine 7M RIB (Navy Surplus)

Just recently joined RIBnet. Thanks to SUNRIDER for turning me on to this site. The video at: allthingsrib.com is mine. Living in San Diego with Navy Seal Teams stationed locally, I get to look at many GSA RIBs before they are sold.

There was a group of 3-7M and 10-10M for sale last month. The 10M's were in more "salvage" shape, but two of the 7M's were in fairly good shape. I am working on completely refurbishing the Willard in the video at this time and could not pickup an additional boat.

These Willards are "BEEFY" RIBs. Our hull was in excellent shape, tubes are military spec. 1600+ decitex, working Cummins turbo-diesel with rebuilt Konrad 520 outdrive. We are working on gelcoat and non-skid at this time, but the boat is for sale and more information can be found at the website.

I will continue buying used Willards and refurbishing them. I just hope I get to keep one for myself at some time!!
Old 04 November 2008, 06:52   #12

Town: Imperial Beach, CA
Boat name: Cobra, Otter, Kong:)
Make: I love zodiacs!!!~
Length: 5m +
Engine: Prefer outboards
24 foot willard for sale

If you have questions about willards my friend and I have purchased and resold several of them and we have several we are going through right now. we sell them anywhere from $26000-$38000 depending how you want them rigged.

They are a great boat and super fuel efficient and dependable, thier to speed is 25-30 knots depending on the drive either american or Konrad both are rock solid.

plus' 25 knots though any conditions

Minus' 30-40 gallon fuel tank, fuel dist usally need a rebuild if you buy it from GSA plus other things but that has been the worst of the problems. but they have quirks you NEED to be aware of otherwise you could smoke a drive!!!

We did a cicumnavigation of catalina island on one and my 2 zodiac 540 s killer time with great pics.

If you have questions or are looking for one we have several with excellent tubes and engines with low hours and one with a brand new drive!!!

Call if you have quetions
310-614-8000
or email JPC@COF-LA.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2824.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	38614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3019.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	38615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3021.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	38616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3020.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	38617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2828.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	38618  

Old 13 November 2008, 04:11   #13
V2d

What kind of fuel use do you get out of the Cummins at cruise speeds and have you ever sound proofed one of the engine compartments. I'm looking for one for and Alaska conversion and so would add a small cabin so mitigating some of the normal Cummins clatter would be a must.
I was in SAN DIEGO for two months recently and got to ride anothers 7M Willard (unfortunately after the last sale) so I will have to wait for some other boats in the future, or one that you guys have done all the work on.

v2d
Old 13 November 2008, 04:15   #14
V2d

I was in SD and got to look at the 7M and the other RIBs for sale. Concerning your other 7M WILLARDS, were the transmissions rusted much. I noted that most were. I looked at the Govmt Liquidation one and the GSA boats.
I did not bid the 7Ms as I wanted to find out a bit more about them first. I did get to ride one in Mission Bay (unfortunately after the sale) and determined they could work for me.
As I'm in Alaska I will be adding a small cabin so I was wondering if you have ever soundproofed the engine console as inside a cabin the Cummins does need to be toned down a bit.

v2d