Old 02 January 2007, 23:10   #1

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
U.S. Coast Guard Modernization

We haven't seen a Coast Guard Patrol vessel around here for over a year. I bumped into an article and have since gained more information as to the reason why.

"The initial venture — converting rusting 110-foot patrol boats, the workhorses of the Coast Guard, into more versatile 123-foot cutters — has been canceled after hull cracks and engine failures made the first eight boats unseaworthy.

Plans to build a new class of 147-foot ships with an innovative hull have been halted after the design was found to be flawed.

And the first completed new ship — a $564 million behemoth christened last month — has structural weaknesses that some Coast Guard engineers believe may threaten its safety and limit its life span, unless costly repairs are made."

The cost of this started out at 17 billion USD but has risen to 24 billion USD and the net result are vessels in Coast Guard parliance that are, "Manifestly Unsafe for Voyage". Makes one wonder...........

The full article appears here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/09/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

Tomas
Old 04 January 2007, 16:54   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Last I heard, the retrofit program has been halted, so the money figure you quoted is incorrect (that much had been approved, but they haven't spent it yet.)

As far as I'm aware, less than 10 of the 110's have gone in for the retrofit, so the overall impact should be fairly small (aside from having a fleet of older 110's, that is...) [Note that I'm going by what I've heard,as I haven't really done any active searching for info.]

You can find info yourself by searching for "Deepwater Project" with respect to the US Coast Guard.

Some tidbits (haven't really read these, either; I'm getting lazy, I think):

http://www.uscg.mil/deepwater/media/...r_dec06-01.htm

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centr...n/16301178.htm

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...0390/1001/NEWS

jky
Old 05 January 2007, 12:37   #3

I agree, the entire budgeted amount has not been spent, only a small portion. At the same time, it is truly scary that naval architects, engineers and shipyards could embark on a program that produced not one (the 110's), not two (the scrapped super hull) but three, (the $564 mil super ship) duds.

There has been a lot of talk down this way about the reduced SAR capability. We can still get choppers out of P.R. but as I said in my initial message; where are the patrol vessels? Both the 110's and the 41's used to be regular visitors to these waters but they have gone missing.

I read all three articles you attached and have mixed feelings. Even with new technologies and materials that test design parameters, the "brain trust" should be capable of building seaworthy ships.

My two cents and done!

Tomas
Old 05 January 2007, 13:26   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I am pleased to see it isn't only in the UK this sort of thing happens. It seems to me they just can't get anything done properly anymore - wether it be football stadiums or the latest jet fighters or whatever all these contracts seem to run way overbudget and just don't deliver what was promised. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians I reckon. The whole world seems to be grinding to a halt under excess bureaucracy and management "procedures"!!!
Old 05 January 2007, 13:28   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am pleased to see it isn't only in the UK this sort of thing happens. It seems to me they just can't get anything done properly anymore - wether it be football stadiums or the latest jet fighters or whatever all these contracts seem to run way overbudget and just don't deliver what was promised. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians I reckon. The whole world seems to be grinding to a halt under excess bureaucracy and management "procedures"!!!
And nobody who is held to account !!!!!!
Old 05 January 2007, 13:31   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
And nobody who is held to account !!!!!!
Exactly - have you noticed when anyone in a government department makes a big mistakes they say they need more training or they don't have enough resources to do the job etc. At the end of the day someone has made a massive cockup and should be punished for it!!!
Old 05 January 2007, 14:22   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
At the end of the day someone has made a massive cockup and should be punished for it!!!
Well you will have your chance in a couple of years, its called a general election.

Pete
Old 05 January 2007, 16:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well you will have your chance in a couple of years, its called a general election.

Pete
Ahem...let me make an attempt to reply in proper English:

Yes old boy one can trade one Wanker for the next Wanker!

Tomas
Old 05 January 2007, 16:53   #9

At-sea presence will be an issue. Apparently someone has noticed this:

from http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMV/2005jul0181.html :
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Severe deterioration of the 110-foot fleet, coupled with increased post-9/11 operational hours, the delays in delivery of operational 123-foot cutters, and the continued deployment of 110-foot cutters to the Persian Gulf, created a gap in patrol boat availability. The Coast Guard says it recognizes that ending the conversion program requires aggressive implementation of an immediate and sustained strategy to fill badly needed patrol boat mission hours and mitigate the impact on operations.

The transfer of five 179-foot patrol craft from the Navy to the Coast Guard will immediately lessen short falls in patrol boat hours. The Coast Guard is also testing a multi-crewing concept for the two 179-foot patrol craft stationed in Pascagoula, Miss., with the goal of obtaining more mission hours per hull.

Advancement of the FRC

Longer term, the Coast Guard'srevised Deepwater implementation plan builds improved post-9/11 advances the FRC's delivery from 2018 to 2007.

The fast-response cutter is being built by Integrated Coast Guard Systems (ICGS), a joint venture between Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) and Lockheed Martin (NYSE:LMT), under the Integrated Deepwater System Program.

A successful Systems Requirement Review (SRR) was completed on April 27, 2005, representing a major milestone in the development of the FRC.

The purpose of the systems requirements review was to present the ship concept to the Coast Guard and to confirm the customer requirements have been sufficiently developed, so the ICGS team can proceed to design development.

The new composite-hulled craft, to be manufactured at Northrop Grumman's Gulfport, Miss., composites center, will have a 40-year hull-life.

"We are facing very aggressive schedule goals for this program," said Mike Duthu, Northrop Grumman Fast-Response Cutter program manager. "To meet specific homeland security defense needs, the program has been accelerated by nearly 10 years from what was originally proposed at the time of contract award in June 2002. During the execution of each phase, we will have a Northrop Grumman team continually planning, scoping and proposing the next phase to achieve program milestones."

The systems requirements review, held at Northrop Grumman Ship Systems sector's shipyard in New Orleans, included demonstrations on the fast-response cutter's hull, mechanical and electrical design, the Command, Control, Communications and Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) suite and logistics support. ICGS also presented information on the ship's preliminary operational plans as an asset in the Integrated Deepwater System.

As a result of the systems requirements review process, the Fast-Response Cutter program now moves into the preliminary design phase, with the customer review scheduled for this August.

The Lead FRC is scheduled to be delivered to the Coast Guard in December 2007. The first ship will undergo an extensive test and evaluation period prior to starting construction on the follow-on hulls. .

Length: 140 ft
Displacement: 320 LT
Max Speed: 30+ knots
Endurance: 5 Day Threshold, 7 Day Objective
Range: 3,200 nautical miles
Propulsion: (4) 3,650 BHP Diesel Engines
Aircraft: None
Boats: (1) SRP
Armament: 25mm gun, .50 caliber machine gun mounts
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So, does anyone else have concerns that:
a) the same corporation that won the 110 upgrades contract is building this new FRC, and
b) the delivery time for the boat has been cut by 11 years???

jky
Old 05 January 2007, 17:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
At-sea presence will be an issue. Apparently someone has noticed this:

jky
Arf Arf Arf....The only meaningful statement in that release IMHO was that they are so desaprate for hardware they're getting loaners from the Navy.

Not to repeat myself, but I live in a place where I can identify airplanes by Airline and Flight Number when I hear them departing, due to the small numbers. I can identify the island freighters by name when they are breaking the horizon. I can see the Sea Bouy from my house and I have not seen any Coast Guard Vessels here for almost a year. Normally we would have a 110 or a 41 footer in Christiansted Harbor, or standing out at least once a month. The Columbians must just love it! I bet the price of powder in Miami is off by 20%. My larger concern as previously stated is the reduction in SAR capability in the region. Events requiring searches ocurr on a far too regular basis.

You're on top of your research jky!

thanks....Tomas
Old 05 January 2007, 22:28   #11

Well, I get paid to be at my computer. I use my time wisely (though my boss probably wouldn't agree; what he doesn't know won't bother him, I guess.)

jky
Old 06 January 2007, 02:08   #12

I'm sure he gets his money's worth!!!

T
Old 06 January 2007, 02:15   #13

As opposed to the Taxpayer....

"An order of eight small, inflatable boats cost an extra half-million dollars because the purchase passed through four layers of contractors." quoted from New York Times article. AN EXTRA HALF MILLION...JUDAS PRIEST!

Ok, I swear I'm moving on before they give me the boot from the Forum.

My next Topic will be on Foot Operated Air Pumps or Plastic vs. Wooden Paddles or canned vs. bottled beer or something less bitchy

T bird
Old 06 January 2007, 17:16   #14

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
As opposed to the Taxpayer....

"An order of eight small, inflatable boats cost an extra half-million dollars because the purchase passed through four layers of contractors." quoted from New York Times article. AN EXTRA HALF MILLION...JUDAS PRIEST!

Ok, I swear I'm moving on before they give me the boot from the Forum.

My next Topic will be on Foot Operated Air Pumps or Plastic vs. Wooden Paddles or canned vs. bottled beer or something less bitchy

T bird
Good lord, an extra $500k, is that really true?

No worries, JK will yank or move a post and give you a kindly worded warning, ask me how I know . I don't recall anyone gettting booted... yet! And this isn't sooo bad. You want to see a politcal free for all? http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...hp?showforum=2
Old 07 January 2007, 00:37   #15

Thanks Mr. Tucker for suggesting I don't have rabies!

Yes it's true...as written. Open the NY Times link in my initial post. I'm going on the link you supplied...nobody argues like sailors. I was much worse when my rig was an Uffa Fox Ketch. Lots of horsepower and a deep V hull has mellowed me...somewhat?

Tomas
Old 07 January 2007, 00:43   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showforum=2[/url]
Oh my God!

T
Old 07 January 2007, 01:08   #17

Quote:
I used to work for a military subcontractor, building head-up displays for tactical aircraft.

While everything on the units themselves were mil-spec, much of the test equipment (each program also had support equipment that went along with it - test stations, signal simulators, calibration beds, etc) was built from comercial, off-the-shelf components.

To sell that, say, electrical isolator (three-to-two prong plug, here in the States), you buy the thing at Orchard Supply Hardware for 69 cents. You then have the tech writers generate a Commercial Item Spec, which outlines a description, a manufacturer, the electrical characteristics (limits, in this case), a drawing (to scale) of the device, and the reason the device is needed. Once the CIS is generated, you have to generate a request to get a National Stock Number for the CIS (which will probably be denied.) You will also need some other paperwork stating that the part that the CIS was generated from actually meets the specs in the CIS.

So, to ship the thing to the military, you pakcage it up and send them the 69 cent part, along with about 25 lbs of paperwork. You figure out the cost in paper shuffling at, say, $18/hr plus benefits.

But, if needed, the part is (theoretically, anyway) completely traceable (which is the whole point of the exercise.)

jky
Old 08 January 2007, 03:07   #18

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Oh my God!

T
I almost never venture into that particular sub-forum, though SA is my other internet obsession. I tend to check RibNet and SA one after another. If you're a sailor, there's no better resource on the web.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:43   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
And this isn't sooo bad. You want to see a politcal free for all? http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...hp?showforum=2
From their forum rules: "I give up, This forum is for all aholes who cannot keep their little opines to themselves" !

Perhaps I'll start sending people there instead of www.wtf.com

John
Old 09 January 2007, 13:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
From their forum rules: "I give up, This forum is for all aholes who cannot keep their little opines to themselves" !

Perhaps I'll start sending people there instead of www.wtf.com

John
John:

I like your administrative touch!!!

Tomas