Old 21 September 2019, 20:27   #1

Town: Shoreline
Boat name: Nagual
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150TLR
RIBase
This Is Why I Own a Rib

Boat camping is my thing. Just uploaded more pics in a couple new albums of trips we did this year at the north end of Vancouver Island and on Lake Roosevelt in Eastern Washington State. Lets us get away to some places otherwise mostly inaccessible.
Old 24 September 2019, 00:01   #2

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
This Is Why I Own a Rib

Share the albums so we can have a look [emoji1303]

I also like camping and exploring by small boat. Link to my videos below.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6OeB..._mvRYyA?via=tb
Old 25 September 2019, 21:15   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
Share the albums so we can have a look [emoji1303]

I also like camping and exploring by small boat. Link to my videos below.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6OeB..._mvRYyA?via=tb
Albums are linked in my public profile.
Old 26 September 2019, 15:58   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
catch of the day my favorite, great pics grizzley not very sociable then
Old 26 September 2019, 16:35   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
catch of the day my favorite, great pics grizzley not very sociable then
Not sure, I was concerned he might be inviting me for dinner.
Old 10 January 2020, 01:53   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Excellent galleries and adventure. I dive out at Browning Pass every year, and every year, I wish I had my boat out there.

I'm curious about whether you get much water in your hull when you're in the drink for weeks at a time. Everyone I've known with a 590 has had the same problem... water gets into the hull, but nobody knows how. I store my boat dry, so it's not a big deal, but even when we go camping for a few days, there's gallons of water in the hull by the time we get home.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 16:09   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Excellent galleries and adventure. I dive out at Browning Pass every year, and every year, I wish I had my boat out there.

I'm curious about whether you get much water in your hull when you're in the drink for weeks at a time. Everyone I've known with a 590 has had the same problem... water gets into the hull, but nobody knows how. I store my boat dry, so it's not a big deal, but even when we go camping for a few days, there's gallons of water in the hull by the time we get home.
We do get some water in the hull, I use the hand bilge pump every few days to check it, typically dribs and drabs. Over a week there may be more than one gallon, much less than 5. Mystery to me too where it comes from. I use the electric bilge pump to clear the accessible bilge daily. It has been confounding not knowing the structure/design of the space between the deck and hull. If you have any drawings, cross sections I'd love to see it. The 590 owners manual I have gives no clues. The big removable deck panel over the fuel tank was so nicely sealed when I bought the boat, and because the whole console/seat would have to be removed first I've never been under there either. Afraid to open a can of worms digging into it, choosing willful ignorance instead.

There do seem to be ribs/frames (without adequate drain holes) across the bottom of the interior of the hull that trap water forward. I've run water into an access port at the bow out of curiosity and to flush out whatever accumulated filth there may be down there. Included a small dribble of dish soap the first time. Bow up on a trailer it won't all drain and years later I believe I've still had a little bubbly coming out when I hand pump out the closed lower bilge. I leave the plug out pretty much boat ramp to ramp letting hills and bumps on the road clear out as much residual water as possible.

Last summer we dropped into God's Pocket Resort to bum some fresh water. Super folks there.

This year we're thinking about doing a trip out of Port Edward down to Campania Island area, looping back up the inside with a fuel stop in Hartley Bay. McMicking Inlet looks like a fantastic base camp area, although the low angle beaches may make anchoring tough. I've let the boat dry off on beaches a couple times times but the presence bears everywhere gives me pause. We had our tent chewed up a couple years ago while we were out day tripping, a few bites in the boat tubes could make for a very, very bad trip.

Old 10 January 2020, 16:43   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydo View Post
We do get some water in the hull, I use the hand bilge pump every few days to check it, typically dribs and drabs. Over a week there may be more than one gallon, much less than 5. Mystery to me too where it comes from. I use the electric bilge pump to clear the accessible bilge daily. It has been confounding not knowing the structure/design of the space between the deck and hull. If you have any drawings, cross sections I'd love to see it. The 590 owners manual I have gives no clues. The big removable deck panel over the fuel tank was so nicely sealed when I bought the boat, and because the whole console/seat would have to be removed first I've never been under there either. Afraid to open a can of worms digging into it, choosing willful ignorance instead.

There do seem to be ribs/frames (without adequate drain holes) across the bottom of the interior of the hull that trap water forward. I've run water into an access port at the bow out of curiosity and to flush out whatever accumulated filth there may be down there. Included a small dribble of dish soap the first time. Bow up on a trailer it won't all drain and years later I believe I've still had a little bubbly coming out when I hand pump out the closed lower bilge. I leave the plug out pretty much boat ramp to ramp letting hills and bumps on the road clear out as much residual water as possible.

Last summer we dropped into God's Pocket Resort to bum some fresh water. Super folks there.

This year we're thinking about doing a trip out of Port Edward down to Campania Island area, looping back up the inside with a fuel stop in Hartley Bay. McMicking Inlet looks like a fantastic base camp area, although the low angle beaches may make anchoring tough. I've let the boat dry off on beaches a couple times times but the presence bears everywhere gives me pause. We had our tent chewed up a couple years ago while we were out day tripping, a few bites in the boat tubes could make for a very, very bad trip.

The bear should’ve eaten her instead [emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 19:46   #9

RIBase
Yes, she is annoying. The way the bear was approaching her before he got pepper sprayed, looked to me like he was seriously considering tasting her -- not typical black bear behavior. A sadly habituated bear that may need to be shot if it has not been already. Quite possibly do to kayakers having a habit of not securing their food properly, like storing food in their kayaks over night!!!
Old 11 January 2020, 00:13   #10

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
LMAO... I remember seeing that clip years ago!

Thanks for the info about water. Speaking with the local Hurricane dealer, he figured it must seap in from the rear well. With that in mind, I stuck my garden hose in there, filled it to the top... nope nothing in the hull of any consequence.

For 15 years I've pondered cutting an access port into the deck and install a pump in there, but it's rare that the boat is in the water for more than a few days at a time, so I live with it.

In truth, the boat runs beautifully with a few gallons of water in the hull, especially when it's choppy!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:58   #11

Town: Victoria
Boat name: T 63
Make: zodiac 590 cuddy
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
590 water problem

I have owned several 590s over the years and they all have this problem. Zodiac made the hull in two parts upper hull and lower hull , unfortunately not giving any access between the hulls. The hulls start to separate over time allowing water between the hulls , the only way to get rid of this water is by hauling it and using the plug.

The space between the hulls is significant , in a very leaky hull it can hold several hundred liters. I cut through the upper hull bilge area and created a bilge area in the lower hull. You need to remove the tubes and separate the hulls and reglue or glass together the two hulls to permanently fix the problem.

Essentially a ,poor design that zodiac will never admit to!

Tags
rib