Old 16 August 2013, 05:25   #1
sea

Length: 3m +
the rib vs the whaler

20`Boston whaler with deep vee vs 20` rib deep vee
What advantages does the rib have over the whaler.

The rib is stable at rest as is the whaler.
The rib is good in chop and 3-4ft seas, the whaler the same.
The whaler will have better deck space and storage.
The weight would prob be same if comparing high quality sea rib.
The maintenance would be less on the whaler, no tubes pressures to deal with.
They both have great buoyancy, I wont mention unsinkable..
both may not sink to bottom but both could capsize.

any thoughts?
Old 16 August 2013, 06:33   #2

Length: no boat
Yeah, a whaler is also a RHIB if you put a tube around it.
The difference is that a boat with a rubber ring round it is harder to capsize or sink.
Also the IB design tends to protect the RH against direct impact when coming alongside things. The extra maintenance issue is down to the type of rubber ring fitted. Some require more than others.
All in all, it depends what you need the boat for.
Old 16 August 2013, 08:43   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
A good friend of mine has the next size up Whaler and I must say as Hard Boats go its pretty Good, nice fit and finish,well thought out, and on a nice day out from Dartmouth with the Picknick Table set up and the Bimini deployed,and I-pod going it is a pleasant vessel to be on
However....(oh and the RIB can do the Picknick thing ALMOST as well if you gear up for it--See Pikey Daves's 'Dive Boat')
Put a RIB of the same size against it in the Rougher Stuff (and it doesn't have to be that rough!) and the 'Whaler' starts wishing it was at Home with Bob Marley having a Smoke!
In a force 4-5 Beam Sea from, Dartmouth to Plymouth It proved to be a VERY wet and Bumpy Ride,with my old RIB Taking it in its Stride! and us having to slow down all the time so they could catch up!...
As for throwing them around, pushing the limit,and or wave jumping like you can A RIB..forget it....Tried that!.. and those seats!!
In short IMO if you want to go out in Fair weather,and not do long or extended Cruiseing, (where the weather often chages for the worse) and you don't want to carry too much or too many,it is a decent hard Boat.
There are many reasons The RNLI-Special Forces-Rapid Response-Off-shore Oil Rigs-Customs ect ect choose as their First choice a RIB!
Oh and my Mate wants a Ribcraft Factory tour sometime soon

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 09:23   #4

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
We have a 16ft Whaler type thing, heaps of deckspace compared to a similar length/beam RIB but not so great in the rough stuff.
Old 17 August 2013, 09:53   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
A good friend of mine has the next size up Whaler and I must say as Hard Boats go its pretty Good, nice fit and finish,well thought out, and on a nice day out from Dartmouth with the Picknick Table set up and the Bimini deployed,and I-pod going it is a pleasant vessel to be on
However....(oh and the RIB can do the Picknick thing ALMOST as well if you gear up for it--See Pikey Daves's 'Dive Boat')
Put a RIB of the same size against it in the Rougher Stuff (and it doesn't have to be that rough!) and the 'Whaler' starts wishing it was at Home with Bob Marley having a Smoke!
In a force 4-5 Beam Sea from, Dartmouth to Plymouth It proved to be a VERY wet and Bumpy Ride,with my old RIB Taking it in its Stride! and us having to slow down all the time so they could catch up!...
As for throwing them around, pushing the limit,and or wave jumping like you can A RIB..forget it....Tried that!.. and those seats!!
In short IMO if you want to go out in Fair weather,and not do long or extended Cruiseing, (where the weather often chages for the worse) and you don't want to carry too much or too many,it is a decent hard Boat.
There are many reasons The RNLI-Special Forces-Rapid Response-Off-shore Oil Rigs-Customs ect ect choose as their First choice a RIB!
Oh and my Mate wants a Ribcraft Factory tour sometime soon
Its all in the hands of the helmsman. Check out www.oceansquest.com and you may look at your statement slightly different. 8000 miles from Florida to Germany in a 21ft Flats boat takes some beating! Alan P
Old 17 August 2013, 10:32   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
20`Boston whaler with deep vee vs 20` rib deep vee
What advantages does the rib have over the whaler.

The rib is stable at rest as is the whaler.
The rib is good in chop and 3-4ft seas, the whaler the same.
The whaler will have better deck space and storage.
The weight would prob be same if comparing high quality sea rib.
The maintenance would be less on the whaler, no tubes pressures to deal with.
They both have great buoyancy, I wont mention unsinkable..
both may not sink to bottom but both could capsize.

any thoughts?
I'm not sure this is a "useful" question, in so much as there are very many kinds of RIB hull and only one Boston Whaler (yeah, I know there are lots of Boston Whaler designs - but you have one in mind)

I've googled as many Boston Whaler hulls as is good for one man in a day, and I have to say, they don't look like they are the same stuff as a good seagoing RIB hull - even the modern B-Ws look to have relatively low deadrise and lots of horizontal chines.

My guess is that a "good" RIB will vastly outperform the Whaler in the rough.

The Whaler will be a better fishing/party platform, the RIB better at transporting people in rougher conditions at higher speeds.
Old 17 August 2013, 10:53   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Its all in the hands of the helmsman. Check out www.oceansquest.com and you may look at your statement slightly different. 8000 miles from Florida to Germany in a 21ft Flats boat takes some beating! Alan P
Only in America!!...Still be Better off in a RIB though!... Mr Bombard still wins out

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 11:45   #8

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Having had hard boats jet skis and ribs and 2 back ops,and know that u have far more experience than me son, u of all people should know that for covering ground fast and safe the RIB is the platform
Old 17 August 2013, 17:05   #9

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
It looks like this company is owned by Whaler? They have both Whalers and RIBs for government use.

You can read their own descriptions.

Check out the video on the IMPACT 750 rib.

Site
Military, Patrol, Fire and Workboats : Brunswick Commercial & Government Products

Video
Old 17 August 2013, 17:21   #10
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Engine: Cummins
TFPU. Great thread.

That Impact 750 looks a lot like the Zodiac 733 Hurricane.

I am still researching my next boat, but it will probably be a 23-24 foot with one or two outboards.

It will definitely be a center consoled style boat, but still cant decide if it will be a RIB, or something without tubes.
Old 17 August 2013, 21:17   #11
sea

thanks everyone,

I was trying to match up similar boats, the mid 90`s 20` outrage whalers which are the blue water/ offshore boats with deep vee and maxium rating of 225 hp due to deep vee., compared to earlier whalers and post 2000 that have max of 175hp due to less aggresive hull and lighter weight. This would fall in line with a comparison of the zodiac searider vs zodiac hurricane of same size.

I know they both have there cult followings and both are highly regarded sea boats.

Thanks to all for not letting this thread become a p*ssing match
Old 17 August 2013, 21:26   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post

Thanks to all for not letting this thread become a p*ssing match
Don't worry, it wont. Ribs p*ss all over Whalers.
Old 18 August 2013, 05:26   #13

Come on guys, lets get this in perspective . A rib has a solid hull with an inflatable tube around it. Even a chain ferry would be a rib if it had one. It doesn't mean its going to perform well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	84300  
Old 19 August 2013, 15:17   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Al, isn't that a cat hull? They're touted as being pretty good in going through chop and swell.

Don't confuse the cathedral hulled Whalers (13 - 19', I think) with the Offshore models (now 23 and up, or used to be.) The Offshore boats have a more conventional hull shape, with a deep V. The cathedrals had the sort of triple keel design that slaps pretty good in the rough stuff.

Still, for me, it's a RIB.

jky
Old 20 August 2013, 06:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Al, isn't that a cat hull? They're touted as being pretty good in going through chop and swell.

Don't confuse the cathedral hulled Whalers (13 - 19', I think) with the Offshore models (now 23 and up, or used to be.) The Offshore boats have a more conventional hull shape, with a deep V. The cathedrals had the sort of triple keel design that slaps pretty good in the rough stuff.

Still, for me, it's a RIB.

jky
Hi Jky,
you're exactly right. It's a rib cat. I was just trying to illustrate that a hard hull with an inflatable fender round it means you have a rib. Regardless of hull shape or design. You're exactly right about V and cathedral hull whalers too.
As for the performance of the RIb Cat. I didn't like it at all but you can be sure that some folks swear by them.
I've attached another pic to try and illustrate my point. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	84383  
Old 20 August 2013, 15:03   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Yeah well cat drivers always frown on monohull guys. Not sure if it's actually based on performance, or the pain of having spent the money on the cat hull.

jky
Old 20 August 2013, 15:45   #17

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
Old 20 August 2013, 15:47   #18

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
A buddy just picked up a 21' Parker center console. He's got way more deck space than my zodiac 733 will have, especially forward. The hard deck flares out for added space. Not sure about speed or performance since my boat is still just pieces, he's got a 175 i'll have a 250. The 733 is rated for 18 people his Parker is rated for 10. His boat will weigh at least 1000lbs more than the 733. That's all I got for you. Either would do nicely. He doesn't have to tow his, mine will live on a trailer.

Jason
Old 20 August 2013, 16:12   #19

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
A buddy just picked up a 21' Parker center console. He's got way more deck space than my zodiac 733 will have, especially forward. The hard deck flares out for added space. Not sure about speed or performance since my boat is still just pieces, he's got a 175 i'll have a 250. The 733 is rated for 18 people his Parker is rated for 10. His boat will weigh at least 1000lbs more than the 733. That's all I got for you. Either would do nicely. He doesn't have to tow his, mine will live on a trailer.

Jason
Are they both overwidth? (>8.5ft wide)
Old 20 August 2013, 17:52   #20

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
mine is, 9' fully inflated i think, not sure about the Parker, I don't think it is. It lived on a trailer in it's previous life.

Tags
rib