Old 31 December 2015, 02:18   #1

Town: Spring Lake, Michigan
Boat name: Journey
Make: Walker Bay
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 60hp Outboard
MMSI: 338191566
The Great Loop

Well, a lot has happened as I prepare for a long 6,000 mile solo journey. I purchased a RIB (Walker Bay Generation 450 DXL) and have begun the process of outfitting her for a planned departure of August, 2016. I have added a chart plotter, vhf radio, depth sounder, am/fm radio, AIS (transponder and receiver).

Then, just had a radar arch and grab rails put on her to provide attachment points for the Bimini and enclosures.

Now i am concentrating on the "stuff" I will need to bring with me and then the obvious question of where to put it.

Anyone interested in following my trip can check out my blog at:
sixthousandmilesinadinghy.wordpress.com

Would be interested to talking to others who can provide insight about traveling solo along the great loop or other thoughts about what to bring or "not" along with me.

Thanks.
Old 31 December 2015, 06:47   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Good luck with the trip.

Your all-round canvas cover looks great. Snug as a bug!
Old 31 December 2015, 11:35   #3

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Looks like a pretty cool trip you've got planed!
All the very best.
I'm curious, why such a small boat?
Old 31 December 2015, 12:04   #4

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Good luck with the trip.

Your all-round canvas cover looks great. Snug as a bug!
And a +1 from me too. That cover looks fantastic.

Old 31 December 2015, 14:14   #5

Town: Spring Lake, Michigan
Boat name: Journey
Make: Walker Bay
Engine: Honda 60hp Outboard
MMSI: 338191566
Boat Size

Well, I used to have a 42 foot trawler that was great and roomy. Also expensive! I liked the challenge of doing the loop in a small but nimble craft. One that I did not have to worry about bridge height, draft, electrical or plumbing problems. I used to do a lot of back country canoeing but my days for that are behind me. So, I thought a small RIB would be more of a challenge to do the loop in. Also, much more economical that than the big boat that most do the trip in. I will be sipping fuel along the way while most will be comparatively "drunken sailors".

The Canvas people were great (Canvas Innovations) and just entered this project in a trade show competition to show off their creativity and finished product.

If anyone has experience managing a RIB through Locks, I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the topic. Not sure what to expect or more importantly, how to best protect the RIB from the rough and dirty side walls.
Old 31 December 2015, 15:27   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritQuest View Post
If anyone has experience managing a RIB through Locks, I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the topic. Not sure what to expect or more importantly, how to best protect the RIB from the rough and dirty side walls.
Usually the walls below the water line are slimey so not too much of a problem to a rib provided there are no protrusions - old nails etc. - I use a couple of soft round bouys as fenders, draped over the side. Stay away from the end with the water inrush if possible.

Edit: I've just looked at your blog and the pictures of your rib. When you have the canopy up, if you end up without power I think you are likely to float beam on to the waves - very rocky-rolly and sick making. You might want to test this before leaving and maybe do something about it, possibly a small sea anchor, a mizzen sail or some other alternative.
Old 31 December 2015, 17:25   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
6000 miles!...Crumbs!...BIG LOOP?..With that sized/type of RIB and layout any trip of that length is going to be a MAMOUTH TEST!!
Jocky seating (at the very least!) would be a BIG improvement ( in fact a must!) IMO.
Good Luck!
Keep us posted

I did here a Guy on the radio today planning to swim the Atlantic in 16!!....so maybe it's catching!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2016, 04:41   #8

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
I'd recommend taking 2 spare props with you as well as the tools to make the change...and practice changing the prop several times before you set off on your trip.

Honda's are great engines and run like sewing machines...the big killer is dirty fuel and water in the fuel, so if the boat doesn't come with an external spinoff fuel filter like a Racor, have one installed and carry spare filters for that as well as the engine mounted fuel filter.

But your best friend on the trip will be either a Satphone or one of the satellite texting devices like the Deloreme Inreach Explorer, because bad luck seems to strike when you're out of cell range...
Old 01 January 2016, 08:16   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi SpiritQuest..

Best wishes for your journey from me too.

I have book marked your website and will follow progress. I have no advice to offer but I fully understand why you are doing it .

Quote from your website
“ I was inspired then and still am by a man by the name of Verlin Kruger. This guy started canoeing in his early forties and paddled over 100,000 miles before his death in 2004.”

I followed Freya Hoffmeister on the web .. as she single handed.. paddled her kayak around the full continent of South America. 27000 km in 30 months. If you are not aware of her blog..perhaps bookmark it and when things look bleak ..or you need inspiration to get going again .. have a read of a few of her posts. Who knows... It may help you get round “The Loop” better than any spare prop .. sprung seat...or larger boat.

IMO ...She set the bar which solo travellers and adventurers can only dream of ..but we can but try.

Freya Hoffmeister: Blog Entries

I wish for 2016 to be a great year for you.
Old 01 January 2016, 12:03   #10

Length: 7m +
6000 miles ! Yikes ! Good luck and take lots of pictures to post on here. Now if only my misses would let me go on a long trip.
Old 04 January 2016, 16:05   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritQuest View Post
Not sure what to expect or more importantly, how to best protect the RIB from the rough and dirty side walls.
I use 2 Hull Hugr flat fenders to keep the tubes off docks and away from any protruding screws/nails/whatever: Hull Hugger Boat Bumper | WaterSkis.com I put one a couple of feet in from where the tube-end cone start, and the other a couple of feet from where the bow taper starts. If the boat is going to be moving fore-aft against whatever you tie up to, consider adding a weight to the bottom to help prevent the fender from riding up.

You may want to consider the Taylor flat fenders which could double as seat or knee padding when not in use: Taylor Made Products 2016 Catalog , but I have no idea what size would be best.

jky