Old 08 April 2010, 14:59   #1

Town: Santa Barbara, CA
Boat name: "Spear Rib"
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 30hp O/B
Sling for Avon S3.45?

I'm looking to set up my little SuperSport for hoist launching, and curious if anyone has done the same with this boat.

She has the fiberglass dodger on the bow, which prevents mounting useful D-rings on the interior of the hull. I'm assuming I'll have to glue D-rings to the tubes up front (which would probably come in handy any way).

The other question is the sling to use. Does anyone have measurements for a four-point sling (or suggest a way of determining the measurements that doesn't involve the need for a fork-lift)?

Any other advice specific to this RIB would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brent
Old 08 April 2010, 16:03   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Caveat: I've never sling-launched anything. I do not have slings for hoisting anything. I have, however, done a little research on it (a long time ago.)

I assume you're looking at that hoist-equipped State Park (don't remember the name offhand)?

Get in contact with them before you design the sling, and find out if it has to meet any kind of industrial standard. I know of 2 launches that require some certification for the sling (ASTM? Don't remember now.) Others may not care. Depends on who runs the hoist. You may end up having to have one made that meets that criteria, which gets pricey.

Remember that a lot of the weight on your boat is rearward (motor, transom bracing, etc.), so I think you can have the forward lift point further back than would seem correct. I would be very leery about using a strap under the hull (too big a chance of tube damage, unless you deflate them and pump them up after launching, which would be a PITA.)

jky
Old 21 April 2010, 15:12   #3

Thanks for the reply - sorry for the delayed response.. (for some reason instant notification for subscribed threads doesn't work for me on RIBnet)

You are right - some of the nearest hoists are state-run (Gaviota) and I am on the waiting list for their certification class and have downloaded all their sling requirements. There are a number of other slings up and down the CA coastline, some private (like at Stillwater in Pebble Beach) some county-run (like Goleta) and some state-run (like Gaviota).

Gaviota seems to have the most strict requirements, since it is a "self-service" hoist that requires the operator to be certified (they issue an RFID card that allows access to the pier and then operates the hoist). Basically they require 3" backing plates on all the D-rings and only allow ANSI certified slings (must have the tags on the sling to pass inspection).
Old 21 April 2010, 16:01   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBH2OMan View Post
There are a number of other slings up and down the CA coastline, some private (like at Stillwater in Pebble Beach)
Stillwater is in operation Spring thru Fall, I think. I know it's closed right now (there was a diver fatality this past weekend - heart attack, I think - and the transfer point ended up being Whalers Cove in Pt Lobos, as the dock at Stillwater is not accessible at the moment.)

Quote:
some county-run (like Goleta) and some state-run (like Gaviota).
Not really up on what's what in the further south areas, but ran across the Gaviota requirements some time back. I'm sure it's handy to be able to use the hoist there, but it sure looks like a PITA to me.

Luck;

jky
Old 22 April 2010, 06:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Not really up on what's what in the further south areas, but ran across the Gaviota requirements some time back. I'm sure it's handy to be able to use the hoist there, but it sure looks like a PITA to me.
Yup. Keeps the lines short on Saturday mornings...