Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2007, 12:49   #21

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Put my boat in yesterday and went for a ride.

The ETEC started right up at the touch of a key after lying for nearly 6 months. Good thing, or I would have been pretty P.O.'ed!

Looks like I'm not going to make it this weekend, again. I'd really like to see the Tall Ships, and have my daughter see them.

The sailboat I race has a 2 day thing this weekend, normally it's only Saturday. God knows I need the practice driving before the National Champs the end of July... I can make it go fast, but I need to figure out hand & footwork during maneuvers, I keep screwing it up and costing us points. Once I work it out, we'll be winning

Here's the kind boat I'm racing:

http://viper640.org/

It only does about 15 knots.
Old 28 June 2007, 15:58   #22

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Vipers too?

dctucker you clearly like speed. Which boat are you on? I did race committee over Memorial Day, and sometimes see you guys out if I'm in the RIB or the Colgate.

Seems like that fleet just keeps growing and growing.
Old 28 June 2007, 16:54   #23

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
MtStPipier, Will you be joining us in Newport Sunday? The more the merrier.

Consider this a late invitation for others interested in the run,

Bill
Old 28 June 2007, 17:00   #24

Right, I totally forgot to mention that!

I'm playing it by ear right now, based on whether I have a race Saturday and what the weather looks like. I have the ramp location and cell #s, so I think I'm set on that front.. I'd put odds at only 30% for a showing by me and my clan though. Getting kids age 4,2 and 1 on the road and then onto a boat is a challenge.
Old 28 June 2007, 21:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtStPipier View Post
dctucker you clearly like speed. Which boat are you on? I did race committee over Memorial Day, and sometimes see you guys out if I'm in the RIB or the Colgate.

Seems like that fleet just keeps growing and growing.
I'm driving Rattler, USA 50. The owner prefers to sit in the middle, trim and do some of the tactics. It's a good gig, I drive, he pays the bills. And yes, Bill Lee got it right... fast IS fun! The local fleet is growing, it really is an easy, comfortable boat to sail. Even the hiking isn't bad for a fat, out of shape old guy like me. You should try it some time! Takes some getting used to though, closing speeds and angles are a bit different than the water pushers. I nearly skewered an Etchells last Saturday as I exited the windward mark. Also had a little difficulty with a windward IOD who was not too keen to respond to my hotter angle as I passed to leeward (overlap established 2+ BL to leeward). I put in about 15 years on J/24's and still get called as tactician by a few of those guys. The older I get, the smaller and faster I want to go... Never thought I'd see dinghy racing around here, but now we have Lasers and Snipes over in Beverly.

Colgate eh? Which one? Two or three of those winter over about 3 blocks from me. You guys should trade those in for Vipers! You may have 1 more for Race Week. The junior instructors at Piers Park (where my wife works) are scheming to bring their Colgate up.

Which club do you belong to? Your RIB or might you mean the CYC's Ribcraft? Hoping to convince my wife that she should take the Searider out on Saturday or Sunday with the video camera, so she can give ME some coaching for a change. A little role reversal would be nice... I need to work out my hand and footwork during tacks, tape would help. I blew a few tacks last Saturday, and it cost us winning the day.
Old 28 June 2007, 22:07   #26

The RIB is mine, new this year. I drove right by Rattler racing last night on the way home from work. I'll shoot you a PM shortly regarding the 'rag and stick' stuff so we don't bore the other ribbers.
Old 30 June 2007, 22:39   #27

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
hello, just got back from vaca. went to maine form the week, boat ran great. I am planning on going out tomorrowq for the tall ships. Again I can meet anyone if interested. I hope we still have a boat or 2 going tomorrow. I just finished glueing on my rubstrake today for the ride tomorrow. My cell is 401 699 1888, feel free to call me any time to talk. I believe we are looking at 10:00 at the ramp so far? I believe so far it looks like me and ribfan. hope some others can make it
I will continue to moniter this thread
Old 01 July 2007, 01:50   #28

Hi LTF,

Michele and I are on for tomorrow. We plan on being at the ramp around 10:00. I will be topping my tank before putting in, is there a gas station near the exit off of RT 95 before the ramp? I assume gas must be cheaper in RI than CT! By the way, not knowing if there will be dockage there, we are bring food and something to drink with us.

See you there.

Bill
Old 01 July 2007, 01:58   #29

great, looking forward to meeting you, I am bringing my son as of now. There are plenty of gas stations from the time you get off 95 and the time you take the right off rt 117. Food would be a good idea. I will be at the ramp before 10 waiting for you, any problems give me a call. Ill have my cell with me, The weather looks great for us, There are a couple of places to eat around the ramp if your interested in grabbing a bite to eat before you go back home. Thats up to you, you have the long ride ahead of you. Ill see you tomorrow
Hopeing anyone else that can shows up also
Old 02 July 2007, 21:53   #30

I just wanted to say that the trip to newport was just about perfect, It is too bad that only one other boat made it but we had enough company out on the water anyway. SDaw some great ribs, I was really happy to see that some others are realizing just what a great boat they are. I will post some pics of the many ships and ribs we saw that day. It mmight take a bit but it will be well worth it.
It was a pleasure to meet bill and his wife, both RIBFANS. and hope we can get together again for another ride. We both are hopeing that the marblehead cruise is not dead in the water.
Maybe if the sailors realized what the ribs are for they wouldnt waste their time working hard on those non-moterized boats and get out and use the ribs for what they are made for .........
sun. was the first time I got to use my boat in somewhat heavy seas, at least for me, I cant say enough about how impressed I was with the handling of the searider. I have found no chinewalking or any other problems with the boat. Handeked very well at good speeds in small chop and I onle got sprayed twice all day, A very dry ride.
I also was impressed with rigfans new ribcraft, I wish them many years of good luck on it. We had discussed a trip to block island at the end of the summer, hopefully we have more boats with us
hope everyone has a good 4th of july
Old 03 July 2007, 03:05   #31

Thanks LTF,

Mrs. Ribfan, LTF, his son and friend Ray, who must have taken 200 or more pictures, and I all had a great day on the water. It was great to see a sea of ribs on the water. They ranged from the common zodiacs to 8-9 mt Niads, a big commericial looking nautica, a huge, had to be 10 mt, all black dual engine volvo penta. Lest we forget, a Protector, all told 25-30 good sized ribs! You'd think we were in UK!

The ride was a blast. A bit rough, but that's what it's all about. Nothing's better than passing hard-side boats who have to slow because of the chop. The ribcraft performed well, as expected. I only had to back off a few times when Mrs. ribcraft thought I was trying to kill her. lol.
Anyway, looking forward to the next trip. The glouchester/marblehead run or a block island run, maybe a run across LI sound through plum gut to long island all have possibilities.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

By the way, we'll be watching the 4th of July fireworks (on saturday) from the boat on the connecticut river in Hartford. Anyone who wants to join let me know. Have a great 4th to all.

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 03 July 2007, 12:57   #32

Sounds fantastic!! Sorry we couldn't make it. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 03 July 2007, 15:17   #33

I wish I could have joined you. I wound up flat on my back for 3 days, with some sort of odd summertime flu or something. Never made it out sailing either. Had fever, chills and I'm still struggling with bronchial problems in the aftermath, coughing and wheezing quite a bit...

Two of the best RIBs available met up, IMHO. Glad you guys had fun. Plans for a second go a a Marblehead gathering are in the works... stay tuned!
Old 11 July 2007, 02:33   #34

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
tall ships portsmouth nh

4 of the ships docked in portsmouth for the weekend. The race started Monday for Halifax, so I took the rib out to catch 6 of the ships together. I was in awe of the beauty and grace. 2 of the ships came up the coast in the haze in full sail It was a scene better than any pirates of the carb, for a moment I felt I was back a 100 years in time, the the evinrude brought me back thou. Took the little woman out but a storm was blowing in before they got under way, so she retreated back to the launch. I was going to stay out and did not care what blew in, (stupid yes), I was going to see the ships. Fortunately it "rain like a cow pissing on a flat rock" but no light show. Was a great day! If I can figure out how to download the photos from my phone I will post some (my wife is a photographer but if got her cameras wet, well you guys know, I was scared.)
Old 17 July 2007, 04:18   #35

new pics

I finally got the pics of the tall ships from newport, I will post them soon, I will try to learn how to post a link to them I have a couple hundred but will post some of the best soon, still waiting to hear about the marblehead trip
Old 18 July 2007, 01:26   #36

tall ship pics

one of my copilot and a couple of our new friends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010126.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	28556   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010067.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	28557   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010125.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	28558  
Old 18 July 2007, 01:29   #37

rib fans boat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010026.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	28559   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010030.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	28560   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010063.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	28561   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010064.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	28562  
Old 18 July 2007, 01:35   #38

a few other ones
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010141.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	28563   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010175.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	28564   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010177.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	28565   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010178.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	28566  
Old 18 July 2007, 01:39   #39

A real classic

Thought everyone would like to see what we all agreed was the ugliest boat around, anyone got anything that beats this???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010016.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	28567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010017.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	28568   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010053.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	28569  
Old 18 July 2007, 01:46   #40

too much money??

this was the ultimate slap in the face, The yacht had to be close to 150 feet and it was towing this inflatable that looked well over 40 feet, up on deck they had a nice rib that I would say was about 18 feet and 2 jet skies. The military style boat did not look like it belonged on a yacht but in a war,. the boat was very plain and only seemed to have some cheap looking bech seats in the back and an open layout on the deck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010187.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	28570   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010185.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	28571   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010181.jpg
Views:	201