Click Here to Login

Old 19 April 2007, 15:58   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
RIBnet New England Meet - Mass Bay - 9 June 2007

There seem to be enough of us about now to try to organize the first New England RIBnet gathering. I'm thinking of a trip out to Stellwagen Bank for a whale watch. I've heard it's already a good season for krill, therefor a good whale watch season. I'm planning on doing this a few times this season, but I'd love to have a couple of boats with me the first time. If the weather's crummy for running the 20 or so miles offshore to Stellwagen, we could run up the coast to Gloucester or down to the Boston Harbor Islands or something. Or postpone date to Sunday.

Since I'm the sucker stupid enough to try to get this started, I'm going to suggest gathering in my town, Marblehead, MA on June 9th. There's a good public ramp with parking for trailers and car at Riverhead Beach, the head of the harbor. It's a very nice, double width concrete ramp, but only good within about 3 hours or so of high tide. No good at low tide, but if you're in by 9 AM or so it should be fine. High tide is 6:11 AM and 6:46 PM. There's another ramp at the other end of town (near Ribcraft USA HQ) that's tough to find if you don't know your way around, there's not much parking, but it can be used at all tides.

There's a good public dock downtown, with 2 good pub options upon returning, Maddie's or The Landing. I'd suggest we stage there, at Tucker's wharf, near the fuel dock.

Anyone from Ribcraft lurking? Can you help promote this idea? Maybe we could also arrange a tour of your local assembly facility?`

Who's interested? Lot's of selfish ideas based on what I'd like to do, and where I'd like to do it! I'm wide open to other ideas, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

Google Maps view of the ramp There are loads of docks stacked up in the parking area in the satellite view, those will be gone.
Google Maps view of Tucker's Wharf/The Landing
About Stellwagen
Whalewatching Guidelines
Old 19 April 2007, 17:25   #2

Another option would be to meet somewhere in Gloucester, go up the Annisquam River and back around the outside, circumnavigating Cape Ann (or the other way round). I've always wanted to run the Annisquam, it's beautiful...

I don't know have a suggestion for a rally point though. Maybe Brown's Yacht Yard, they're the Zodiac dealer where I bought my ETEC, and have fuel. Don't know about launching ramps either.
Old 19 April 2007, 20:37   #3

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Tally-Ho will be there Am up for either whale watching or the Annisquam.
Old 19 April 2007, 20:52   #4

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Game for either, 9th june good for me. Just go for a ride or dive too.
Old 19 April 2007, 21:17   #5

Sounds like we're on, subject to weather... Two local boats for sure, two more tentative, and hopefully more! I think it would be a hoot to have 5-10 RIBs gather. I just need to make a 2500 mile road trip to retrieve my boat.

Let's make sure we pull this off and beat those PNW folks who could only manage one boat
Old 19 April 2007, 22:54   #6

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
Sounds like we're on, subject to weather... Two local boats for sure, two more tentative, and hopefully more! I think it would be a hoot to have 5-10 RIBs gather. I just need to make a 2500 mile road trip to retrieve my boat.

Let's make sure we pull this off and beat those PNW folks who could only manage one boat
YA but who did theirs in march and braved the wind and rain? As long as the beer holds out the crew stays happy.
Old 19 April 2007, 22:55   #7

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
You guys should have a blast I do hope you get a better turn out. But if you don't we still had a great time with only the one boat.
Old 20 April 2007, 02:06   #8

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
ribathon

We need the details, being it's a bit of a drive from CT, but we're in.
It would be awsome to get a dozen or so ribs out there. I can also give Brian or Adam at Ribcaft a call if the date is firm. See if they have interest in getting involved.

Bill
Old 20 April 2007, 02:29   #9

by land or by sea

For me if I put in in dover nh the distance is about 48 miles, by land it is 60 miles. If parking is not a problem I might trailer down, but if Marblehead is anything like Nahant a stranger in town get fined, arrested and excuted on site (a friendly little community)
Old 20 April 2007, 05:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
YA but who did theirs in march and braved the wind and rain? As long as the beer holds out the crew stays happy.
Just poking a little fun. Getting any RIBsters together in the US is a good thing!
Old 20 April 2007, 05:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfan View Post
We need the details, being it's a bit of a drive from CT, but we're in.
It would be awsome to get a dozen or so ribs out there. I can also give Brian or Adam at Ribcaft a call if the date is firm. See if they have interest in getting involved.

Bill
Do you need a place to stay overnight in advance or after? There are loads of B&B's, I can get you a link to a listing. What else would you like to know?

I know the guys from Ribcraft a bit, but please do give them a call or email and get them behind this idea. They could really help make this a big event! I'll swing by there next week and talk to them.
Old 20 April 2007, 05:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
For me if I put in in dover nh the distance is about 48 miles, by land it is 60 miles. If parking is not a problem I might trailer down, but if Marblehead is anything like Nahant a stranger in town get fined, arrested and excuted on site (a friendly little community)
Parking at the beach ramp isn't a problem.

Nahant has that psuedo island thing going on, so they're a little more insular. True 'headers seem to put up with visitors, as long as you spend some money, then leave! A much more pragmatic Yankee approach!

I've only lived here 9 years, so I'm still a bit suspect. But as long as you look somewhat salty, you'll do fine.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:00   #13

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
maybe, have a look.
Old 21 April 2007, 02:08   #14

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
looking good..

It looks like I should be able to go to this ride, Looking forward to getting together with some fellow boaters, Boat is just about ready for water and been wanting to see some good sights on the water
Old 22 April 2007, 02:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
It looks like I should be able to go to this ride, Looking forward to getting together with some fellow boaters, Boat is just about ready for water and been wanting to see some good sights on the water
Excellent! I'll be psyched to run around with anther Searider 5.4!
Old 23 April 2007, 17:47   #16

Just got an email from RIBCRAFT USA. They want to help, which is great! Should result in a few more boats showing up.

One consideration is the date. Anyone have any opinions on June 23 as opposed to June 9? Would more folks come on one date vs. the other? Have kids in school activities that would keep you from coming on either date? Don't care?

Another possible destination was Boston, either all the way in to a marina or out and about the Harbor Islands. I lean towards the Anniaquam River option. How about the rest of you?

Let us know, then we'll start doing some more legwork arrange dock space, find a lunch spot, and promote the event.
Old 24 April 2007, 00:37   #17

9th or later is fine with me, just need to know which one to plan around. any destination is going to be fun. Also if we need to make arrangements about parking. Only ? about the river option (having never been there) would a group of crazy ribs terrorize the kayakers. nothing sweeter than the scorn of a kayaker polluting there environment. Just kidding, my wife and i kayak our local rivers and i used to get bullsht
when someone ventured to close in a speeding vessel (canoe, jet ski,motor boat, loon)
Old 24 April 2007, 02:37   #18

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Either date can work for me. By a coincidence, Adam from Ribcraft and I exchanged e-mail today as well on another matter, so of course, I pitched the trip, so it seems he got a double shot of it. Adam said that Matthew will be the contact point.

Bill
Old 24 April 2007, 03:06   #19

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
Unfortunately I am unable to go on this later date, The 9th is the only day I could make it. I am going to maine for a week with the boat later. If this latter date works better for everyone else by all means keep it. Im sure we can get another meet soon if everything goes well. I will keep up on whats going on and we can see what happens
Old 24 April 2007, 12:56   #20

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Quote:
One consideration is the date. Anyone have any opinions on June 23 as opposed to June 9? Would more folks come on one date vs. the other? Have kids in school activities that would keep you from coming on either date? Don't care?
I don't think the 23rd will work for me either. 9th does, and/or later in the summer.

Any of the destinations work for me. Doing the Annisquam or somewhere else I've never been has obvious appeal. But it would be pretty darn cool to bring the fleet right downtown too.