Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 May 2007, 11:06   #41
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 390
I sort of like Annisquam River Run '07. I'd second the Marblehead green for the shirt, if you can get them. I think you'd have to connect with FL Woods to see if you can get then plain. I'll take 1 large and a kid's small if possible. Unfortunately my wife has to work that Saturday, so it'll be just me and the kids.
__________________

__________________
dctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 23:04   #42
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 296
do we have a time we want to be in the water by. Just trying to decide if I might want to travel there and stay at some place close. Im not a morning person and any time I can save before we go boating will be a plus. I also would like to put my order in for 2 xl shirts and 1 large. I am trying to tie up lose ends on my boat and should have it running by this weekend. I have a small leak and a couple of spots I want to repair before I put her in this year. Hopeing that we get a good # of boats for this trip. Has anyone heard anything about the ribcraft place. I will have to go see it before I leave for home that day.
__________________

__________________
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 11:03   #43
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 390
I tossed out a 10:00 AM dock time... departure tbd, once we're done eyeing each other's boats probably!

Ribcraft is in. I'm meeting with Matthew sometime next week to decide exactly what they're going to do.

If you do want to find a place to stay let me know. I can help.

Dan
__________________
dctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 15:23   #44
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61
Tides

dc,

I'm showing 0612 high tide that morning. That probably means learning to fly has to get up mighty early. I've only used that ramp once, but I hear the window is only a couple to three hours on either side of high tide. Can you or Matthew give us an accurate launch window?
__________________
Piper
MtStPipier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 21:31   #45
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 296
just wondering if anyone has any maps of where we are talking about. Wondering what the ride will be like. My wife was asking me. She was wondering how rough the ride might be. My 13 year old is coming and maybe even my 4 legged copilot out. Wasnt sure, about how many hours might the trip take. Im going to google the area and see what it looks like. Perhaps if everything goes well we could have a couple this year. Narraganset bay would be a great day out here in RI. You can drive from Newport right into providence or take a trip to block island.
__________________
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 22:26   #46
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61
Quote:
just wondering if anyone has any maps of where we are talking about. Wondering what the ride will be like
I was just plotting a possible route on Mapsource (if you don't have charting software, Maptech has free downloads online). Looks like about 40nm round trip. 24nm out past Gloucester and around Rockport. 4+ nm through the river at 5 knots. Then another 11nm home. We're probably never more than 0.5nm offshore, but out past Manchester and around Rockport you are facing the Atlantic directly. Would be roughest there.

Here's my thoughts on weather from limited experience driving into Boston as well as sailing in this area. If it's blowing less than 10 knots, likely to be just 1 to 1.5 footers, we should be able to cruise 25+ knots. Wife, kid and dog friendly. If it's blowing 10-15, probably limits our speed to 20 knots and would be bouncy but fun. Over 15 knots would make for an uncomfortable ride that I would not want to take my wife and young children through, until they were more seasoned. My kids are toddlers though. 13 year olds live for adventure.

With no stopping, maybe it's an hour out, an hour through the Annisquam and 30 minutes back. Perhaps sightseeing, pictures, stopping somewhere for chow doubles that to 5 hours. That might make sense with the tides too, as the window wouldn't reopen until mid-afternoon.

This is the buoy closest to our route. It's a bit rough out tonight. Hopefully much calmer in a couple weeks.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44029
__________________
Piper
MtStPipier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 22:54   #47
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 61
Chart

Here is a very rough cut at a route. Now that I look back, I think we're supposed to go up the Annisquam and then around Cape Ann, instead of the way I drew it. But it gives you an idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annisquam.pdf (28.3 KB, 129 views)
__________________
Piper
MtStPipier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 18:03   #48
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 390
Nice job Piper, that's the route. We've been speaking of it in the reverse direction, though we could go either way. No real need to decide now, we can see what would be a nicer ride given the weather conditions.

Yes, it's a 3 hour window on either side of high tide for the ramp. How would people feel about Sunday the 10th rather than Saturday the 9th?
__________________
dctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 18:53   #49
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
Game for either day or an earlier time too. I start work 0500 and we generally go out to dive early, so open for any time. My wife would shoot me if i told her we needed to leave at 0400
__________________
603doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 20:36   #50
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 296
Either day would work for me also, one good thing about planning on the 9 is that we have the 10 to fall back on if the waether is not great. we will see how it works out maybe sme people would prefer sunday
__________________

__________________
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.