Old 04 November 2006, 12:23   #11
Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Now this is a new subject..sort of... but I have very little experience with 4 strokes. I hear quiet, I hear fuel economy, I hear environmentally sound but what concerns me is getting away from that old 2 stroke rev. I made the temporary mistake of buying a new Sthil weed wacker, a large unit as is required to beat back the jungle here. It was what they call the pre-mix and is basically a 4 stroke. Hello...where's the revs...where's the power. I went back with it the next day for big Stinky 2 stroke F250 and it runs lika a banshee.

Do these 4 strokes get up and GO? [/QUOTE]

I have used 4 strokes for 10+ years, usually twin set ups on RIBs, but also have a Yamaha 115 on my Avon 620. I find they have lots of low end power (which I need for getting up to 12 passengers going)

Tom Goodwin
Ocean Explorations Zodiac Whale Cruises
Tiverton, Long Island, Nova Scotia
902.839.2417, winter/home:834-2830
toll free reservations 1.877.654.2341

tiverton_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2006, 20:45   #12
Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Yes, 4 strokes are great for commercial applications and they get up and go. I am running a hurricane 640 with twin 140 suzuki 4 strokes. I also run with 12 passengers and captain and I cruise at 32 knots @4000 rpms the motors max out at 6200rpms. Top speed with 12 passengers and 100 gallons of fuel is 46 knots.

The biggest savings is in fuel and especially oil. I was running merc optis and going thru the 45 gallon drums of oil like nothing.

You will also find that the 4 strokes have a much longer life.

In my area there are at least 30 RIBS all being used by various companies for whale watching and 90% of them are now using 4 strokes.

The other big thing is they burn much cleaner and leave no un burned oil in the ocean and they are much quiter.

This year to date I have done 900 hours on the suzukis with no problems.

Ocean Ecoventures
Vancouver Island Canada

OceanEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2006, 22:57   #13
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Thanks for this info Simon. I'll be looking for a new midrange outboard within the next year and have been weighing the pros & cons of 4 strokes vs. DI 2 strokes. Interesting that a Honda BF50 is considerably lighter than an E-tec 50.

prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote