Old 04 February 2006, 04:36   #1

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Ribcraft 7.8M Mitigator in California

In part thanks to all of you enjoying your RIBs and me reading about it we have taken the plung and just purchased a Ribcraft 7.8M Mitigator which we are using for work and pleasure on the waters of the Santa Barbara Channel. We already own a 30 foot Nautica ex-military twin diesel RIB which is an awesome workboat but needed a smaller, faster boat to compliment our towboat/rescue fleet.

We chose Ribcraft for several reasons and are extremely satisfied. So much so that we are working out the details on being their representive out here on the West Coast. As far as we know it is the first Mitigator on the West Coast and Zodiac which I understand copied the idea with the CZ7 doesn't even have one out here.

We are providing demo/adventure rides for any interested parties and will soon have details on our website, www.channelwatchmarine.com. Bear with us as we build the site. It's time to show boaters here in the US the advantages of RIBs as a primary boat not just a sciff.

I will gladly answer any questions about Ribcraft or our Mitigator and must say it's an awesome boat with an incredible ride and Ribcraft was great to deal with even thought in this purchase they just handled the transaction for a private seller.

I did a lot of research on this forum and thank all who take the time to share information about RIBs. They are great boats and deserve more attention here in the US.

Captains Paul and Beverly Amaral
Channel Watch Marine, Inc.
Vessel Assist/Boat U.S.
Old 04 February 2006, 05:29   #2

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Hi ChannelWatch,

Great to see another So Cal ribber. I go out to Santa Cruz Island all the time in my Avon 4m Searider. I just picked up a 5.4 meter Searider. I hope I won't need to hail you for help. But if I do I'd be darn glad to see you pull up in a Ribcraft Mitigator. I usually launch from Channel Islands Harbor. Welcome to Rib.net.

Boatster
Old 04 February 2006, 15:49   #3

Right now she is set up more as a rescue boat than a tow boat but I'm sure we'll be towing with it as well. Maybe even running around and having some fun around the islands, if time ever permits. I love fishing and diving and am looking forward to playing with this thing.

Hope to see you out there having fun but don't hesitate to contact us if you ever need as we cover Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Channel Islands harbors. You can also call us direct by cell at (805)644-2762 or hail Vessel Assist Ventura on VHF 16 but we are not always by our radio in which case our dispatch center will pick up.

Enjoy,
Capts Paul and Beverly Amaral
Old 04 February 2006, 16:08   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Looks like the Yanks are starting to wake up to RIBs at last - wonder how long it will be before they start selling them back to us claiming they invented them???

Only joking but it wouldn't be the first time....
Old 04 February 2006, 16:20   #5

Some of us Yanks are smarter than others. Notice we bought a boat with roots on your side of the pond. I also chose a wife with roots in the UK so I guess I know where good things come from.
Old 04 February 2006, 17:45   #6

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Hey, I am willing to get into trouble just to get rescued by a Mitigator
Maybe will start to show the hard boaters just what a RIB can do
Get a little tired of people saying "It's nice, but why dont you buy a real boat"
Definately put your numbers into my book;just might see you out there some day;
Big Welcome
cheers Darrall
Old 04 February 2006, 17:53   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch
Some of us Yanks are smarter than others. Notice we bought a boat with roots on your side of the pond. I also chose a wife with roots in the UK so I guess I know where good things come from.
Good for you - but with my experiences of British women maybe I should choose one from California!!!
Old 04 February 2006, 18:11   #8

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Hello Channelwatch,

Welcome to ribnet. Nice to have another westcoaster online. Great looking rib you have there. Is 300hp the max for the mitigator? What is your top speed and cruising speeds? I believe that the CZ7 is not a copy of the mitigator. It is a copy of the zodiac hurricane 733 that has been used for the last 18 years by the canadian coast guard, search and rescue and other government bodies. Zodiac then introduced the CZ7 for the public and almost doubled the price for a completely fitted boat.

Take care and enjoy the new boat!!

Simon
www.oceanecoventures.com
Old 04 February 2006, 18:35   #9

Hi Simon,

You are right about the CZ7 being a 733 copy but what I was referring to was the CZ7 concept for the retail market. Ribcraft launched the Mitigator with all the goodies then Zodiac came along with theirs. Due to the price neither company has been selling many but I was pleasantly surprised by what I could get a similar Ribcraft nicely equipted for.

We are still getting used to this one but we have been cruising it at 30-35 knots and she will do 45 knots. This one has 2 Johnson 150 hp military spec 2 strokes and the plate says a max of 400 hp. The acceleration is incredible and the hull design makes for a great ride. Had it out in some nasty stuff the other day and was very impressed.
Old 04 February 2006, 20:20   #10

Town: Seattle, WA
Boat name: MiniGo
Make: Caribe
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Tohat 10 HP
Channelwatch,

Your Ribcraft 7.8M Mitigator looks amazing. We need one up here for sure. I loved the pix and descriptions of your rescues. I am sure you will get lots of calls this boating season.

Good to see other North American posts on here. I am a West Coaster (USA) as well. There are quite a few RIBs north of us in Vancouver, Canada area.

I recently purchased a hybrid RIB here in Seattle. I am in the process of doing all the maintenance on her before we launch again. It's a 2001 Rendova 380 with a 40 HP Yamaha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rendova.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	17373  
Old 20 February 2006, 23:41   #11

Town: earth
Boat name: which one
Make: several
Engine: outboards
Paul is not the only westcoaster on this site . We are currently thinking of replacing our rib with a new ribcraft. Looking forward to it, i think !

Vessel Assist Lake Tahoe

4 Sale 2003 Zodiac Pro Open 550, Tow post, T Top , ICOM , Shakespere, Garmin 182C, Live Well, New Yamaha 115, W/ Trailer 17k........
Old 21 February 2006, 00:27   #12

Hello Jeff,

This is one of the spots where I did a lot of my research. Glad to see you here.

Had a chance to do more towing with the Ribcraft over the weekend and still no complaints. Let us know if your interested in a seatrial.

Paul
Old 21 February 2006, 01:10   #13

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Hello from the MidWest. You should see the way people look at our boat in the great lakes. "Thats a fancy dinghy you have there". I love taking those people out. Sometimes ejecting them sometimes I take pity though
Old 21 February 2006, 03:17   #14

Town: earth
Boat name: which one
Make: several
Engine: outboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch
Hello Jeff,

This is one of the spots where I did a lot of my research. Glad to see you here.

Had a chance to do more towing with the Ribcraft over the weekend and still no complaints. Let us know if your interested in a seatrial.

Paul
The weather is looking favorable for me to bail out of here for two days this week, need to see how tomorrow goes, but in the meantime i was going to call you today. Is The Pilot house you are putting on the other rib, made out of wood ?

I used to a run an old outrage for the yellow guys that had a wood house, heavy but it worked out well. If we buy this ribcraft they are going to make us a fiberglass one but i am still pondering the power options based on additional weight created by this option. I think more is always better most likely...... Thinking twin 115's on the 6.5 but there inlies the other issue. That being the change in attitude of the boat at rest and losing some ability to trim due to the stern heavy configuration.........
Old 21 February 2006, 03:19   #15
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 130hp
If it swells, ride it!
Old 21 February 2006, 06:19   #16

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
nice to hear

Glad you like your Mitigator. I looked at one while in Marblehead last winter and got all horny over it. Impressive looking. I bought a 21' alum hull and will FINALLY be able to pick it up this spring. They said it ran at 50 mph and felt great; shall "sea" about that. Really looking forward to feeling what I read about RHIBs as being great for the rough stuff, etc. Oh, BTW; for anyone over-seas, I have this really neat boat with air-filled hypalon tubes around it. INVENTED IN THE USA. Wanna buy it? Great product. Trust me....http://www.rib.net/forum/newreply.ph...te=1&p=134601#
Old 21 February 2006, 06:41   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
good luck good choice whats the bollard pull on your Nautica
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 15:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
good luck good choice whats the bollard pull on your Nautica
To be honest I haven't put it to the test. We've done a lot of towing with it including some pretty big stuff and it has done great. It has 2 210 hp cummins diesels and weights 12,000 lbs so it makes a great workboat but lacked the speed of the Mitigator. I must also say that the ride on the Ribcraft is better in the big stuff although I feel much safer on the Nautica. Now we have both speed and power when needed and the Mitigator sure is fun to play with.
Old 21 February 2006, 16:03   #19

[QUOTE=Jklingel] Really looking forward to feeling what I read about RHIBs as being great for the rough stuff, etc.

I am told by Ribcraft that the ride I am experiencing on the 7.8m is not lost on the smaller boats. If that's the case you will not be disappointed. The wait must be a killer. Good luck.
Old 21 February 2006, 16:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet711
Is The Pilot house you are putting on the other rib, made out of wood ?

Thinking twin 115's on the 6.5 but there inlies the other issue. That being the change in attitude of the boat at rest and losing some ability to trim due to the stern heavy configuration.........

The house is foam cored fiberglass with Lexan windows all around except for the windshield which is glass.

Don't forget you are also adding weight to the front with the addition of a house. Ask the experts but I think you will be OK.