Old 29 May 2017, 23:29   #1

Town: santa rosa, ca.
Boat name: Scarlett Towhannson
Make: Rendova
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin merc 90's
Rails for removable tubes?

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, reader and enthusiast. I have a 22 foot Rendova, rhib. great boat. Coming across the bay from Sausalito to SF piers, I heard a very loud snap. I was doing 12 knots. Both of the sponson/tube retainer straps popped. SO, I limped to the nearest pier. (which happened to be the Ramp, which was having a carnival party. Great place to break down. haha.)

Seems the d-shaped rail, that the sponson/tube slides into, and then attaches to the hull itself, has broken. 3 pieces. that was the loud snap. the straps were a secondary casualty. Is this the "collar"?
question is, it's a straight forward repair. but what is the proper nomenclature for the rail? Any leads on where to buy one would be great. I guess I am asking if it's a universal part? I checked defender, did a cursory google search. nothing yet. thank you, william.
Old 30 May 2017, 02:42   #2

How would I go about moving this to different, more general sub forum? Also, should probably change the title?
Old 30 May 2017, 05:37   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Hi, sounds like a pretty good breakdown as they go

The collar is another term that some people use for the tubes, apart from that I'd say you've got the terminology OK.

I've moved your post into the general "RIBs and ribbing section" for you.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:06   #4

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Luff rope rails

Henshaw Inflatables have two sections of aluminium rail used for sliding a bolt rope into. Depends on the diameter of the bolt ropes fitted to the tube though. Available in 5 metre lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12mm Extrusion side profile.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	119721   Click image for larger version

Name:	12mm Extrusion.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	119722  

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 15:32   #5

Christopher, thank you. Extrusion is the word I'm looking for. I am now trying to research which rhibs have these extrusions. This one on the Rendova looks to be PVC or similar type of plastic.
Old 31 May 2017, 04:04   #6

Pvc Bolt rope extrusion failure

Old 31 May 2017, 04:07   #7

Failure of Extrusion, limp mode home.

SO, I got it all apart, tubes came off with no issue. used dish soap. Going to continue looking for a replacement extrusion to hold the tubes in place. searched all over google for stock pvc extrusions. Going to double up on straps forward of the helm. you can see the remnants of the port side strap hanging there. when that failed, the extrusion failed.
12 knots in pretty confused 5 foot seas (5 feet in sf bay=50 real world. haha.) INSIDE of the Golden Gate, not a smart place to be without a sorted boat. lesson learned.
Old 31 May 2017, 04:17   #8

Old 31 May 2017, 04:19   #9

Old 31 May 2017, 04:21   #10

Old 31 May 2017, 04:22   #11

Old 31 May 2017, 13:31   #12

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Undecided
You would probably be better off finding an aluminum extrusion. Over time the plastic probably got brittle. Zodiac hurricane and the older zodiac Pro ribs used aluminum as do other brands that use that style of attachment.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 15:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
You would probably be better off finding an aluminum extrusion. Over time the plastic probably got brittle. Zodiac hurricane and the older zodiac Pro ribs used aluminum as do other brands that use that style of attachment.
Thank you, I will look into it. I don't mind the use of plastic, they have lasted 20 years. Maybe an upgrade to HDPE. The boat is well engineered, and I dont want to change much.
What part of Connecticut are you from? I'm from Bridgeport.
Old 01 June 2017, 20:09   #14

Town: Mercer Island, WA
Make: Rendova 12 & 16
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 & 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-RIBS View Post
Thank you, I will look into it. I don't mind the use of plastic, they have lasted 20 years. Maybe an upgrade to HDPE. The boat is well engineered, and I dont want to change much.
20 Years? So your boat is circa 1997? I just bought a 2005 16' and I assume that the construction is similar - can you tell me how those rails are secured to the hull? Also, what's that strap-like thing on the forward port quarter?
Old 01 June 2017, 20:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
20 Years? So your boat is circa 1997? I just bought a 2005 16' and I assume that the construction is similar - can you tell me how those rails are secured to the hull? Also, what's that strap-like thing on the forward port quarter?
Yes, 1996 22 foot Rendova. I have searched all over the net. may be one of one in this size? The straps may have been added after manufacture. they seem to keep the collar from moving around underway and especially when deflated during storage. I can tell you, that when the straps broke, the pvc extrusion broke. I replaced the extrusion, and refitted the collar/sponsons solo. I will be up and running tomorrow. I am going to double up on the straps, going with 3 inch, polypro. the old ones were 2 inch nylon. I'll be including pictures. going to use some hypalon grab handle patches, and just make the bow more handy for skiers/divers to hang onto. turning lemons into lemonade I guess.
Old 01 June 2017, 22:03   #16

Quote:
Yes, 1996 22 foot Rendova. I have searched all over the net. may be one of one in this size? The straps may have been added after manufacture. they seem to keep the collar from moving around underway and especially when deflated during storage. I can tell you, that when the straps broke, the pvc extrusion broke. I replaced the extrusion, and refitted the collar/sponsons solo. I will be up and running tomorrow. I am going to double up on the straps, going with 3 inch, polypro. the old ones were 2 inch nylon. I'll be including pictures. going to use some hypalon grab handle patches, and just make the bow more handy for skiers/divers to hang onto. turning lemons into lemonade I guess.
I haven't seen one larger than the 20 that's for sale in Seattle right now (listed on YachtWorld). How are those extrusions attached to the hull? I have a 1999 12 as well (there's a story there for another time) and it has some "buttons" on the inside, but my (incoming) 16 doesn't have them (and I don't see them on boats after about 2001).
Old 01 June 2017, 23:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I haven't seen one larger than the 20 that's for sale in Seattle right now (listed on YachtWorld). How are those extrusions attached to the hull? I have a 1999 12 as well (there's a story there for another time) and it has some "buttons" on the inside, but my (incoming) 16 doesn't have them (and I don't see them on boats after about 2001).
refugio. yes, it has the buttons, with the stainless thru-bolts. I am modifying these as well, reinforced and countersunk into king starboard hdpe. I love king starboard hdpe! regarding the 20 foor rendova in seattle... that boat has been on craigslist before, and at that price it will never sell. 22k! great boats though, and by far the most underrated of the rhibs. imo of course.
Old 02 June 2017, 12:57   #18

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Looks like PVC rubstrake for a hard boat with a slot cut in it.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2017, 15:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Looks like PVC rubstrake for a hard boat with a slot cut in it.
It's an extrusion, the slot is engineered. not cut. i've seen similar rub-strake, with a slot for a rubber bumper. If you find any photos or links of anything similar, send them my way. I've been looking for 3 days and my eyes are tired.
Old 03 June 2017, 23:03   #20

Quote:
Regarding the 20 foor rendova in seattle... that boat has been on craigslist before, and at that price it will never sell. 22k!
Yes, that's a lot of money. FWIW, there was a 16' posted here a few weeks ago that really looked nice for $13,500. I had an appointment to see it (was going to write a check on the spot) at 9:00am that morning...as I walked down the dock at 8:50 there was another guy sitting on the boat writing a check. Damn, that really hurt. But an aggressive Internet search turned up one the following week in NY that was several years newer, had literally never been in salt water, and had a FI Yamaha, and was actually in better condition (though it didn't have the FlexiTeak decking or bimini). I got it for $12,500 and it's on the road to be as I write this.