Old 05 February 2009, 15:24   #1

Town: Niantic,Ct.06357
Boat name: no name
Make: Apex
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 115
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger Peterson
question about Apex A-19

I've just bought a Apex A-19 with a 115 honda on it.when the boat was delivered and I was looking around it I discovered three large canvas bags full of sand in lockers up foreward.I didn't get a chance to sea trial the boat as winter has set in but keep wondering if the sand was really needed. The last owner is unavailable so am turning to the forum. Thanks
Old 05 February 2009, 16:09   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
my guess is yes it is needed, the last owner probaly discovered that the boat wasn't trimmed right ie nose always in the air, without pics it's a bit difficult to suggest if there is any way out of it other than ballast, if it is the only way out you could get some lead shot (the same as used in divers weight belts and put them in the forward locker when you have exactly what you need to make the boat run right mix up some grp resin and pour it over the lead shot, it holds it all in place and it is waterproof, job done!
Old 05 February 2009, 16:30   #3

Thanks biffer. Makes sense.I keep thinking you should be able to trim it out either with t/t or motor angle but its a wicked light boat sooo. Anyway the shot pored in place sounds like a real clean answer and can't wait to try it out.
Old 06 February 2009, 16:03   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
My dive buddies run the same boat (A-19/Honda 115); as far as I know, they haven't had a problem with weighting.

They do run with a substantial amount of dive gear (normally) which may make up for some of that.

jky
Old 06 February 2009, 17:42   #5

Guess I"ll have to keep guessing as the weather in the NE is going to stay below freezing for a while.Very impatient to see how it will run.
Old 09 February 2009, 18:43   #6

Town: Livermore
Boat name: Rogue
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
My dive buddies run the same boat (A-19/Honda 115); as far as I know, they haven't had a problem with weighting.

They do run with a substantial amount of dive gear (normally) which may make up for some of that.

jky
I'm one of the dive buddies John mentioned. I do have the same boat, and we don't need any ballast in the front to come up on plane properly. The only time I've ever had any trouble was when all my passengers went to the back to get a smoother ride in rougher water. Even then, it eventually planed, and there were six of us. I've since put in a whale tail and it planes even faster.
Old 10 February 2009, 03:18   #7

Thanks for the reply this was a sight unseen sort of thing but have known the apex name for a while and knew the honda so pictures were all I had to go on. I hope while I have you on the line if you could tell me why the built in tank was bypassed. Called the Apex plant and the fellow I talked with said the tanks where not grounded and it might have caused an electralisis ugg .problem. Do you use your built in tank?
Old 10 February 2009, 15:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Peterson View Post
Guess I"ll have to keep guessing as the weather in the NE is going to stay below freezing for a while.Very impatient to see how it will run.
Oh, hell; just run it on the ice. I think Stoo can give some instructions. I've seen pics...

Personally, if I were you, I'd wait on gluing lead into the boat until you've run it for a while and are sure you really need it. No sense in weighting the thing down in a manner that's tough to undo if you don't really need to.

That's just me, though.

jky
Old 10 February 2009, 15:34   #9

Oh, yeah;

Hi, Carol!

jky
Old 10 February 2009, 17:08   #10

Town: Livermore
Boat name: Rogue
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Peterson View Post
I hope while I have you on the line if you could tell me why the built in tank was bypassed. Called the Apex plant and the fellow I talked with said the tanks where not grounded and it might have caused an electralisis ugg .problem. Do you use your built in tank?
The built in gas tank? We have a 40 gallon built in tank and we use it. No problems so far, with the exception of having to replace the fuel sensor/float once.

(Hi back at ya John!)
Old 13 March 2009, 23:12   #11

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
I have an A-17 with an Evinrude 70 and it's light in the bow. I have to trim the bow down to avoid chine walk at full throttle.

AND, my fuel sender has crapped the bed as well. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.