Old 09 January 2007, 15:02   #1

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Project boat anyone?

It's Jan. and I'm bored so here's a link to a nice project for those so inclined,
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1091402
It would make for a nice toy for someone and has some nice equipment (Stidd seats!) on it. Build quality on these military boats is usually very good, making for an exceptionally durable craft for commercial or recreational use, I have been very satisfied with mine. It would be interesting to see someone buy a boat like this and start a thread covering the rebuild, any takers?
Old 10 January 2007, 00:43   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
That's quite the beast, but a little more than I'd be prepared to tackle... I think this would be a nice upgrade for Rogan!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2007, 15:09   #3

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
If I wasn't giving away 9 grand every few months for school tuition I might be seriously tempted! I've always wanted to turn the tides on the Coast Guard here. When it's really late at night out on the lake they track you with thier radar and run with all lights out. Then sneak up behind you with thier quiet twin 250 hondas only when you are moving so you can't hear them at all. Than at the last second about 10 feet off your stern BAM. They toss on all thier lights blinding spot light straight to your face and are on the megaphone. I mean you just about die from the fright. You know they enjoy that stuff! I mean it must be fun. Anyways, one day I am gonna be the one off thier stern!
Old 10 January 2007, 16:39   #4

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
I had a look at that boat a few weeks ago and unfortunately the Stidd seats are nearly all frozen. Stidd no longer supports that model, but if they are able to find parts they are very expensive - $300 for a single seatback shock for example!
Old 11 January 2007, 06:23   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
There was a Hurricane on that site as well. A smaller (though no better shape, I think) project, just to get you started...

jky
Old 11 January 2007, 23:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Than at the last second about 10 feet off your stern BAM. They toss on all thier lights blinding spot light straight to your face and are on the megaphone. I mean you just about die from the fright.
That's fricken' hilarious! I'm almost afraid to ask what you were doing to earn their attention!

I was pulled over a few years ago in Toronto Harbour... not once, not twice, but thrice! After the third time, I finally asked what the fudge was the problem. The head dude finally confessed that there had been reports of a large, grey inflatable detonating explosives in the outer harbour! I might have been quilty of several things that evening, but dropping depth charges wasn't one of them! I suggested they check with the Naval Reserve Base about a mile down the shore... duh!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 11 January 2007, 23:43   #7

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
You guys have some mean CoastGuards You need the laid back Californian variety;just out there sunning themselves
I get pulled over all the time ;but I think it's now because they want their photo's taken.
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138 (Small).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151 (Small).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247a (Small).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556a (Small).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24171  
Old 12 January 2007, 00:32   #8

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Any of you guys have an idea of the salary of those blokes in the coastgaurd on RIBs ?
Old 12 January 2007, 06:28   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not very much, I'm sure.

OTOH, they have few expenses that aren't covered by the job. USCG is basically another branch of the US Armed Forces; moreso now that they are part of Homeland Security.

jky
Old 13 January 2007, 00:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
If I wasn't giving away 9 grand every few months for school tuition I might be seriously tempted! I've always wanted to turn the tides on the Coast Guard here. When it's really late at night out on the lake they track you with thier radar and run with all lights out. Then sneak up behind you with thier quiet twin 250 hondas only when you are moving so you can't hear them at all. Than at the last second about 10 feet off your stern BAM. They toss on all thier lights blinding spot light straight to your face and are on the megaphone. I mean you just about die from the fright. You know they enjoy that stuff! I mean it must be fun. Anyways, one day I am gonna be the one off thier stern!
Rogan, given the aerial and acrobatic photos of you and your boat on this forum I have no doubt you have what I refer to as the "disease". It is progressive and there is no cure! Anyone who enjoys running their boat as much as you do is doomed. Bigger ribs in your future for certain. One
day you will have some kind of "monster" rib the likes of which will make those Coast guard crews "green with envy", it is only a matter of time!
Old 13 January 2007, 03:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
OTOH, they have few expenses that aren't covered by the job. USCG is basically another branch of the US Armed Forces; moreso now that they are part of Homeland Security.
Not so in Canada, eh! Our Coasties don't even carry guns I don't think, at least on the Great Lakes. They are part of the department of Fisheries and Oceans... One larger CCG patrol boat that comes into town once in a while is "shared" by the CG, Fisheries and the RCMP...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 13 January 2007, 13:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Not so in Canada, eh! Our Coasties don't even carry guns I don't think, at least on the Great Lakes. They are part of the department of Fisheries and Oceans... One larger CCG patrol boat that comes into town once in a while is "shared" by the CG, Fisheries and the RCMP...
My understanding is that the Canadian government is not too happy with our Coast guard crews getting machine guns, Canada and the U.S. share the longest (5525 miles) undefended border between two countries in the world, and do not maintain military forces on that boundary. I can see how the Canadian gov't might be upset seeing as having a Browning M2 .50 on bow and a M-60 .308 on the starboard side of a 26 ft. Whaler is not exactly what someone might describe as undefended. Truth be told, I am a gun nut but I really don't like it either, not my idea of a leisurely afternoon cruise to be coming out on Lake Erie and pass by a C.G. crew armed to the teeth on a nice summer day. Takes some of the peaceful out of a peaceful day when you have that to contend with. Let's not even talk about getting pulled over if and when they happen to be training for "live fire" exercises, there is talk of some new Firing areas for training besides Camp Perry on Lake Erie as well. This is probably going on anywhere there are border waters between Canada and the U.S. I think this basically... SUCKS!!