Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2009, 19:47   #21

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Looking at the Block Island weather, it's a toss-up, Monday is a tad warmer, but am clouds, Sunday is a tad cooler, some clouds but sunny all day. If I had to choose, Sunday would be my preference. Any thoughts? As far as where we launch, Stonington will cut out about 8-10 miles, it also cuts out the side trip through Mystic Harbor.
Here's the link: http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=268...epNav_GID=1620

For us, it's about 15 extra miles and 20-30 minutes longer drive.

Bill
Old 04 September 2009, 21:02   #22

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
either day is fine for me. Sun. or mon. I only brought up going from stonigton because Ive never been around there before and it looked much further. I did want to see Mystic though. I only have an hour to stonigton so i dont mind going a bit further to newlondon, The last trip we did, I made out with a half hour ride to put in. Im already ahead of the game. . Have you been out around there before in your boat, around mystic or anything?

i called and left a message for my wifes friend at ballards asking her to call me back, I wanted to know about parking the boats on the island. They do have a dock and I think we might have to make reservations, Ive been reading a bit about visiting and there are 3 holidays that they say the place is packed, As figured, labor day is right behind 4th of july. Im hopeing to hear something from my friend, I was going to even ask her what might be the better day to go. She might say that Sunday might be impossible to find a dock, mayby everyne leaves on monday? Thats the type of questions I plan on asking. we can dock, eat shop and my mayby even rent the mopeds if you want, We should have plenty of time to get back and we will know what it will be like for time. How many gallons of fuel do you carry. I am even bringing some more oil just in case. Ive been told we always can just anchor off the breakwall off the beach and get out. I hope to know a bit more soon, will keep you posted as soon as I know anything. talk to you real soon.
Old 04 September 2009, 22:42   #23

Ok, we can wait a bit until you hear from your friend. I've taken the boat into new london a couple of times, though I have not launched at either that ramp or the stonington ramp. Last year we took the boat to Mystic. A nice area, some large boats around and you have to watch the markers and bouys. We both have gps, so we will be fine. I also will bring my charts for the area.

As far as fuel, we have a 50 gallon tank, and the boat uses gets about 4-5 miles per gallon, so my max range is 200 miles. An 80 mile trip is fine. Have you ever calculated fuel consumption? You should get more MPG with a 90 hp than my 150.

So, let's hold final plans until you hear from your friend and go from there. I don't think hopping out of the boat anchored off the beach will be a real hit with Michele, so lets try for a dock.

Bill
Old 04 September 2009, 23:36   #24

I also was hopeing to stay dry. Sunday does look like the sunniest of the two so thats what Im planning for right now. Unless I find out that it would be a lot easier to tie up on monday lets still assume for sunday. What time do you want to be in the water? about 9, we could even try a bit earlier. How long of a ride do you have to the ramps. I have an hour to stonington and whatever to new london. You said newlondon was further for you also so I didnt really care. I would like to see mystic, My Phone # is 401 699 1888, give me a call whenever you want and we can chat. Im working late so you can call me tonight or tomorrow. Well talk more then,

Did you have a time that youe xpect or need to be back.
talk to you soon
Old 05 September 2009, 01:33   #25

Sunday works for us too. By the way, are you bringing your son or wife?
I think if we meet at 8:30 ish, we can be launched and ready to go before 9:00. The other thought, we could do the Mystic cruise through on the way back at the end of the day. I think we would have more time on B/I and catch Mystic on the way back.
As far as distance, New London is a bit closer for me, it is also right off RT 95, so it seems easy to get to.

I'll give you a call tomorrow. My cell # is 860-726-3551 if you need to reach me.
Old 05 September 2009, 01:57   #26

My son is going, along with my friend ray that went with us before, and his wife. talk to you tomorrow,
Old 05 September 2009, 21:38   #27

LAST CALL for The First Annual Block Island Bash

Last call for New England ribbers to join LTF and I for the B.I. Blast. If interested, meet us at the New London boat ramp at 8:30 Sunday morning.

Link to the ramp:http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=268...epNav_GID=1620

Any questions give Scott or me a call. (look back a few posts for our numbers)

See you there!
Old 07 September 2009, 16:15   #28

just wanted to say thanks to ribfan for the ride home, got to see what the ribcraft does in what I believe was pretty rough seas. My boat is spending another couple of nights on Block island because of a broken prop from hitting a rock. Just one more example of pland that change because of not enough planning. . I picked up the prop today and am going back to get my baby and return her home. I was very happy ho the searider handles and pretty happy with my driving. It was the toughest coditions Ive ever been in but you could tell the boats loved it. It is true that you will quit before the boats do..........
Old 09 September 2009, 01:18   #29

the boat is now safely atr home, took the high speed ferry out of point judith this morning with a new prop and brought her home today where she belongs, The ride had mayby 2 foot seas. only took about 40 minutes to get to point judith. Now lets start planning our next trip....................
any one
Old 09 September 2009, 12:29   #30

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Glad you guys went ahead with your trip and had a good time. Too bad about the prop, but sounds like it worked out ok in the end.

I haven't gotten nearly as much time this year on the RIB, about 30 hours so far. Hoping to do much better next year.

One idea I have for 2010, perhaps because I'm a nut, is a 'Round Cape Cod' trip. Down through the canal, stop at some islands, back up around P-Town. For me, coming from Marblehead, it'd be about 180 nm, depending on where you stopped. Perhaps overnight on the Vineyard. Something to plan over the winter months...

Piper
Old 26 September 2009, 00:22   #31

ribfan, I hope you have been well, havent heard from you since the trip, not even sure if you made it home ok. Hope things are well and loved the trip.

Mt, will have to thing about the around the cape trip. Seems way to radicle for me. I would love to take the boats one day off of ptown to see the whales though. ... perhaps next year
Old 26 September 2009, 01:07   #32

All is well, we got home OK. Spent most of the next day cleaning the boat, everything got wet and a bit salty with the wind and waves. That was quite the trip, both boats did well, but next time a bit less sea would be nice.
Sounds like everything worked out OK for you and the Avon. A calmer sea for the trip back?
I've been busy between Town Council and getting ready for the fall election campaign and making art pieces for the coming season, so I apologize for not speaking up sooner.
Now, it seems like the boating season is quickly coming to an end, I'd like to get out a bit more, we'll see.
As for Piper's idea, that's a heck of a trip.

Let's do something next year, maybe we can get a few more ribs in the pack.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 19 December 2009, 14:48   #33

Town: Stamford
Boat name: Orange Crush
Make: TP Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha Diesel
Send a message via Skype™ to cdilljr
2010 RIB New England Rib Trip

This thread seems pretty much done, but I'm new to the forum and wanted to add my interest in an outing for 2010. I'll subscribe to this thread and wait until the weather improves - as if RIBs require good weather - bring on the small craft warnings...
Old 20 December 2009, 04:42   #34

welcome, it is never too early to start planning a trip. Hopefully we will have a few more boats with us this year,