Old 11 March 2011, 00:01   #1

Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Octopussy
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel
Patching hypalon (pics)

Have to fix some tears and seam leaks in Zodiac Hurricane, here are the pics of the damage:

1" tear

Air escaping along the seam, support strap came off and took some fabric with it

7" tear in the cone, ending at the seam

What is the best 2-part glue I can buy for these repairs?

Thanks for the advice
Old 11 March 2011, 15:03   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I like the Weaver hypalon glue (I think it's 3001, but I'm not positive.)

Clifton seems to be more widely distributed (for either, look to river rafting supply companies.)

jky
Old 15 March 2011, 00:01   #3

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
Man what the....

What happened to those tubes man? Im in Stuart if you give me a call i can help set you up. Who painted those? Sad, Sad, Sad.
Old 21 March 2011, 16:35   #4

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Engine: Yamaha
tube

Ouch, like Ryan said what happened to these tubes? What kind of paint is that? I think toluol should do the trick to remove that paint.

For the glue, try to use the Zodiac's original glue. Local Zodiac dealer should have this in stock, Zodiac part number is Z7098. Very very strong bond.
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 20:49   #5

Dont ask, previous owner attempted to paint it.

I got some SC 2000 black cement, now looking for toluene to start the cleanup and prep. Also got nylon bristle die grinder tip to rough up the surfaces.....and yard of 1670 denier cloth from Nsr
Old 22 March 2011, 22:17   #6

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Make: Fluid 10.6m
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x Mercury 300hp
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiboyd
Rema Tip Top

the Rema SC2000 is easy to work with and has good initial bonding, but can easily brake down with solvents. If you do want to continue with SC2000, use food grade SC2000, is a white/opaque glue.

I recommend 2 part Polymarine or Zodiac Bostic 7098.
https://www.siroccomarine.com
kiwiboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2011, 19:59   #7

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
You can order the same glue Zodiac uses from a Zodiac parts dealer. When I rebuilt my tubes it workd great. Just make sure you clean up a large enough area around the patch area to give you the ability to bond to the other hypalon. You will have to remove all the old paint for the patch to work. Also, keep in mind the new glue will not stick to the old dried out clue so you need to grind it out to get to the rubber or cut the section out and do an internal patch first then do the external patch. Make sure you get a heavy duty roller to put a lot of pressure to bond the glues. Also, do not glue unless you have low humidity and the right temperature otherwise you are waisting your time. To humid to hot or to cold and you will have your patches fall off. Check your PM for how to remove the paint. MEK and Organge paint stripper worked great and didn't damage the tubes. You need to patch them though before working on them as it is difficult to work on them unless fully pumped up hard. Search for my pics on the Zodiac 630 I did. Tuff Coat came out nice and is very easy to touch up once a season.
Old 09 April 2011, 01:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Dont ask, previous owner attempted to paint it.

I got some SC 2000 black cement, now looking for toluene to start the cleanup and prep. Also got nylon bristle die grinder tip to rough up the surfaces.....and yard of 1670 denier cloth from Nsr
Toluene can be hard to find. Ace Hardware used to carry it in quarts, but (in California, anyway) it seems to be off the shelves. You can still get it online, I noticed, last time I looked.

MEK is about the same aggressiveness (and, I think, about the same toxicity, unfortunately); it will work well for cleaning the material (if you need to thin a toluene based adhesive, you should probably get toluene.)

As far as abrading the hypalon for gluing, I find a flap wheel works pretty well. Go slow until you get a feel for how it cuts (true no matter what tool you use.) All you need is to remove the shine from the material, though a decent visible "scratching" keys the surface better and is usually what I aim for.

Luck;

jky
Old 10 April 2011, 14:25   #9

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Looking at the pictures, that tear is in a tough spot. You should really think about doing an inside and outside patch. The inside patch glues to the inside of the tube and does the heavy lifting on the pressure as the fabric is being pressed outward which doesn't break down the glue bonds. The outside patch is more of a cosmetic patch and abrasion resistance as well as double layer of protection to keep that tear from continuing.
Old 11 April 2011, 15:01   #10

Thanks for the suggestions, got gallon of toluene from local glue supply store for $13. And got a good respirator

Boat is outside, and in florida its either cold in the morning with dew, or scorching hot during the day....gotta find correct conditions so glue bonds
Old 11 April 2011, 15:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, got gallon of toluene from local glue supply store for $13. And got a good respirator
Some heavy rubber chemical-resistant gloves would be wise as well (Atlas is one brand; sure there are others.)

jky