Old 28 March 2015, 04:28   #1

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
OTech 7m V. Willard730/H733 hull performance and build quality?.

Looking at purchasing either one of these boats. Is there much difference in hull performance? And is the OTech built fairly well? Any advantages over one or the other? Thanks in advance!
Old 28 March 2015, 11:32   #2

Town: Palm City, FL
Boat name: Mick 1, McRIB
Make: Willard
Engine: Diesel Stern Drives
I don't know much about the boat itself but I have a spare set of tubes in good shape.
MASATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 15:45   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
They were all essentially built for the same government specs so any differences should be just shades of gray. I've never heard of anybody unhappy with any of them. Hopefully Ryan Pratt will be along. He's got Willards and zodiacs, not sure if he's had hands on with an Otech. There seem to be fewer otechs so not sure if that means less parts.

Jason
Old 28 March 2015, 16:22   #4

Yes, that's right . I think Otechs are 6" wider on the overall beam, than Willard/Zodiac. Which I would guess would give it slightly better handling in your more extreme conditions. I read here somewhere that there is only 5 in civilians hands! Is that right? Do the government keep Otechs longer or refurbish them, or were there just not as many in production? There is of course the obvious differences in the chines, but are they the same dead rise aft.?
Old 28 March 2015, 16:37   #5

I think the otechs were newer and haven't aged out the the auctions yet.

No clue on the specifics.

There was a rebuild thread for one on here. He wanted to buy my transom cap

Jason
Old 28 March 2015, 16:43   #6

Thanks Jason, hoping Ryan Pratt or Warefarerib might shed some light. They stripped motor and leg out of this boat which is a bit of a bumma!
Old 28 March 2015, 16:49   #7

Can't think of his name right now but the guy that put the cummins in his Willard might have a leftover leg.
Old 28 March 2015, 17:09   #8

Are you thinking of Clloyd . I did inquire about that leg some time ago and might follow that up if I end up with the boat! Thanks for reminding me. Just looking at your 733 rebuild Jason, are you happy with the handling of the boat with Outboard in rough water? Have you ever compared it with an inboard ? Deciding weather in or outboard!
Old 28 March 2015, 18:54   #9

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
I have seen Otech's but have never ridden in one. I have several Willards and Zodiacs and prefer the Willard for quality of construction, but having said that the Zodiacs are amazing boats i would be happy with either. The Willards and Zodiacs handle great wit OB power but make sure you extend the hull don't just use a bracket as it will destroy the ride and handling of the boat. PM me if you have any specific questions i would be happy to chat and let you know what i have done and what does and does not work for me.
Old 28 March 2015, 19:28   #10

Yep. It was Clloyd's leg I was thinking of.

Define rough water. I don't go out in really rough stuff. I've been out in a small craft advisory up here, 20kt winds with a couple foot wind chop and 6-8 foot swell. I could only do low 20s mph comfortably. If you are tough enough you can go faster. Although the hull doesn't slam. I would brace for it and it would just kind of ease down. What these boats (7m) can do and what I'd ever be willing to do are two vastly different things. Guys like Ryan who use them professionally have to go places we could chose not to. My goal was a boat that could cross the channel to Catalina when the afternoon winds started blowing and was big enough for radar and to dive four people comfortably. This boat does that in spades. That being said it's more fun going 30+ in calm water in the morning

Jason
Old 28 March 2015, 22:04   #11

Thanks guys for your input so far. Jason, I don't really go out too much in bad conditions , I just like knowing that the boat is capable. I get nearly as much enjoyment out of these boats just looking at these boats! Is that normal???
Definetly love a glassy morning at WOT. Cheers.
Old 24 April 2015, 10:54   #12

Ended up with both these boats! OTech with no motor or leg, and australian built H733 with Volvo 200hp DP 290 duo prop. Thinking of cleaning up the hurricane and selling it ,to fund a new motor and drive for the OTech! Only problem is not sure how OTech rides. Surely can't be too different to the 733/Willard boats!! Any thoughts on motor and leg combos for the OTech? Was thinking of staying with inboard diesel!
Hulls are similar dead rise but there are some obvious differences. The hull near the bow is a very sharp leading edge. Would cut through water pretty well you would think.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429872938.786390.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	104727Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429872980.437834.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	104728Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429873021.391038.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	104729Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429873044.270085.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	104730
Old 24 April 2015, 18:39   #13
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Supposedly, from talking to warfarerhib, he didn't like the ride of the Otech when compared to a Willard. He said more deadrise and felt like it needed more power than a Willard.

Since Otech went under, I'd just bet that there were less made - maybe that's why there are less out there?

With the extra 6" of beam and molded in anchor locker, I really liked the boats (I've only crawled around on them, never sea trialed). I thought rumor had it that they were a Crompton mold???

A little tidbit, the original hypalon tubes for the Otech's were built in the UK (maybe by Paul Tilley? - wasn't Henshaws), so if the PU tubes aren't worth saving, the patterns are still out there.

Either way, both will be good boat and keep us posted with what you do!
Old 25 April 2015, 00:16   #14

Very cool to see them next to each other. The Otech is quite a bit different. Anybody care to explain the significant differences in the bottom of the hulls/strakes??

Otech needs more power, in sure that wouldn't be an issue. Where's clloyd??

Jason
Old 25 April 2015, 03:35   #15

Thanks ncp, the tubes on the OTech are 2005 and in good condition. The guy that imported it said it had been stored under cover for some years! The hull is in excellent condition and so is the deck. I like the extra room in the aft quarter of the boat, for fishing and diving. I'm sure the boat would still have good ride, although maybe not as good as 733/Willard Mold. I guess my idea of selling the hurricane to fund power for OTech was that it should sell easy! I just sold a 733 hurricane jet rib with Yanmar 6LP in a week of it being advertised.
Was thinking of Volvo D4 260 with duo prop!! Looks pretty good on paper and plenty of service agents here in Oz.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429932324.542473.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	104752

Yea jason there is a fair difference in hull. I'm guessing that all those chines would make the ride a bit bumpier. ( only guessing) . Extra width of beam would make it more stable at speed. Maybe it would handle well with a pod and outboards! Should talk more to some of the guys on here that have done the conversion. . Um did you do a conversion to outboards, jason? Think you did! If so how does it handle?

Any input welcome. Thanks guys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429932941.519905.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	104753Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429933017.459781.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	104754
Old 25 April 2015, 04:11   #16

I put the Zodiac bracket on mine and that's the only way i've know it. Handles like a ferrari as far i can tell.

Talk to the ever knowledgeable Ryan Pratt about his bracket maker, that guy is very well known for his fiberglass brackets.

Jason