Old 02 July 2010, 18:53   #1

Town: Winnipeg
Boat name: Stan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp outB.
Old mk2 Zodiac floor repair

Hello one and all! Newbie fellow here. I have a 1980 Mk2c Zodiac. Gr8 boat ,much fun etc. HOWEVER! I have a one inch tear in the floor that i am having a devil of a time fixing. I have tried twice now,have tried to be ultra careful with humidity, proper technique ,timing etc. Both times the patch(is on very bottom of boat,black material) has eventually failed.I have never used accelerant. Could this be the problem? Usually the water tears at any tiny loose piece of the patch and then rips it off. Argh. I tried to follow directions very carefully. Any help for this crestfallen Canadian would be appreciated. Cheers!
Old 03 July 2010, 18:58   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Patch again, but this time install one on the bottom and one on top to minimize material stretch. Make sure the patch is large enough to support the damaged area.

Once cured, "fair" or "fillet" the edges of the patch using a urethane glue (Aquaseal will do if you use Cotol to get it to cure faster than it runs. 3M 4200 or 5200 should work as well, but the normal stuff takes a god-awful long time to cure.) Make sure you prep the substrate for the urethane as well, as this is going to be what deflects the brunt of the force of the water.

Another option I've heard of (never seen it done) is to taper the edge of the patch from the inside, so the very edge of the patch is a thin hypalon area. Not sure I like this option.

jky
Old 04 July 2010, 15:15   #3

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
My Futura has a couple of patches on the bottom and I've reglued the speed tubes leading edge. No problems with them staying in place. What are using for glue? You say you aren't using accelerant. Does this mean you are using just one part of a two part glue? Use a good two part glue like Sta Bond , Weaver or Poly Marine. Definitely mix the two parts accurately.

If the boat has ever been coated with a product like Armor All it may be very difficult to get a good bond. You will really have to clean and prep the fabric surface to get adhesion.

For floor bonds MEK is necessary for PVC surface prep. Hmm, 1980, is your zodiac hypalon? Tolulene for hypalon prep and a proper two part hypalon glue.
Old 04 July 2010, 21:01   #4

floor repair.

Ok. Here goes. Please forgive my lack of info as i am a bit of a noob at this and always seem to remember something to add after I post. thank you both for your quick replies btw. I followed directions from a website which told me to prep w/ toluene -time 10 min. clean again,10 min. wait(both patch surface and floor bottom), then work glue in with stiff nat. hair bristle brush. wait till glue not tacky then followed directions for applying patch. the glue I am using is from the Zodiac dealer in Winnipeg.It appears to be Actual glue from Zodiac(about 5inch long white tube says made in France Goupe Zodiac 2). Is it 1 or 2 part ? I do not know what these terms refer to ,my apologies. In the web directions accelerant is mentioned as recommended for glueing parts like oarlocks and things that will need a lot of strength. If you can recommend different glue and or accelerant and or technique for applying patch I'm all ears.I pulled off my second attempted patch today and actually exposed 3 inch circle of weft under fabric which tore away with patch(careless twit) so I think I'm going to be a little more careful next time. Yes I believe its a hypalon boat. I'm assuming the bottom is hypalon also? can you recommend a 2 part hypalon glue and explain what 2 part means. thanks again and sorry for my ignorance. I'm gettin frustrated trying to get darn patch to stick. Regards
Old 04 July 2010, 21:16   #5

floor repair

Btw. I Suppose finding out for sure if this 1980 Zodiac is hypalon or pvc for certain, would be a good start. As I stated in my previous post I ASSUME its hypalon judging by the limited research i've done. Do you suppose it may be pvc and if so I guess the whole procedure would then be different?
Old 05 July 2010, 15:20   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hi imsneeky,

Welcome, it's great to see another Winnipegger on this site! I think there's 3 of us now. It sounds like you were sold the 1 part glue. You definitely need the 2 part glue for this application. I'll send you a PM.
Old 06 July 2010, 15:39   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsneeky View Post
Btw. I Suppose finding out for sure if this 1980 Zodiac is hypalon or pvc for certain, would be a good start. As I stated in my previous post I ASSUME its hypalon judging by the limited research i've done. Do you suppose it may be pvc and if so I guess the whole procedure would then be different?
You can use the Weaver or Zodiac "Universal" glue (polyurethane based), and it won't matter (as much) what fabric you've got. Your Zodiac dealer should have it or be able to get it. Abrade the surfaces to be glued to a good degree (don't go through the first layer, but rough it up quite a bit. I use a rasp type tire repair tool to get some "tooth" in the material, then follow that up with something like 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to take off the remaining shine. Oh, and don't sand the exposed fabric.) Wipe down with solvent (MEK should work for either fabric), then glue according to directions.

jky
Old 11 July 2010, 14:41   #8

Got some 3m 5200 this weekend and put on new patch. Will post again in a while after boat has been tested. thanks to prarietuber and everyone for quick help. Hope she stays glued this time!
Old 11 July 2010, 18:18   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
sounds to me that you are not abrading/ roughing /buffing up the to be patched area good enough before hand ,you will need to get all the shine off and buff it up well as jyasaki just said before any gluing .
2 part glue is a must especially for long term repairs .
Old 29 August 2010, 17:45   #10

Town: annapolis
Boat name: hot rubber
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 merc
patch

Hi Imsneeky Lets start with the floor Zodiac in the 80s were just starting to use pvc the boats they started with were Mark 1 2 3 the floor and the keel were pvc and the tubes were made of hypalon . About 1985-86 the whole boat was made of pvc so look at the keel and the tubes and see if there alike do not abrade the pvc, clean all old glue off with MEK . If you abrade the pvc the area will gum up on you and it will be a pain to fix. First a thin layer of glue let dry another thin layer of glue let dry until tacky put patch on hole and rub from center out with the butt of a putty knife . With Pvc glue you have to work faster then with Hypalon it sets up faster. One more thing is your patch pvc or hypalon I know one glue works on both pvc and hypalon . If you can do not roll this boat up keep it full of air if you can the pvc keel will crack were you fold it for sure. A new keel $300

Let know how it goes
mark