Old 10 July 2008, 18:26   #1

Town: Hopetown, Bahamas
Boat name: 57 Heaven
Make: Fleming
Length: 10m +
Engine: twin diesel
offshore Fishing

My wife and I cruise the Bahamas on a 55 ft Fleming MY. We have a 12 ft Rib that sets on the Fleming. Its OK to run to shore, town,etc. We always seem to get wet and it will not go very fast.
I've been looking for a 23-25 ft fiberglass boat to tow behind our big boat. We like to dive , fish and explore all the islands.

I'm told, that one of the problem of towing a boat is, it banging into the tow boat and maring up the finish on the big boat.
We just got back from the Exuma Islands and one of the mariners had a Protector RIB with twin 250 Hp motors on it. I was impressed with the speed and handling.

After riding in their RIB, I started thinking that, this is what I should tow.
I could buy a 23-25 ft with T-top, rod holders, etc and it would be the ticket. I wouldn't have to worry about bumpers, etc

Has anyone did any serious offshore fishing in a RIB?
Can you put anti-foul paint on the bottom (it will be setting in saltwater 4-6 months)?
Whats the best brand and model for my application?
Thanks for your input.
Glenn
Old 10 July 2008, 20:03   #2

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Hi,

Welcome to Ribnet. There are a number of good ribs you can safely go offshore with. I would suggest you contact Ribcraft. They make a wide range of sizes and all are customed to your needs. They are USA made, in Massachusetts. I worked with Adam Moore when i purchased mine and can recommend him highly. You can take a look @ http://www.ribcraftusa.com.

Good Luck

Bill
Old 10 July 2008, 22:57   #3

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
A 22'-25" Rib is a good option for a fishing boat, though the T-top can get in the way a bit. I have done some fishing off my RIBs, and the nice thing about RIBs is that they have a low freeboard and they don't pitch and roll as much in chop and waves. If the seas are ruff or turn ruff, you will be glad you have a RIB as the won't sink if you take a few waves over the bow or stern in heavy seas. Unless you are getting seperate two seperate fuel tanks installed in the boat, I would recomend a singe engine 250hp Etec or Yamaha 4 stroke as they are very reliable and put out plenty of power. Most times when an engine quits its because you have a fuel issue. Twin engines are great for manuvering, but unless you have the ability to switch tanks running two engines of the same fuel tank doesn't give you much more safety.

The only drawback to RIBs are the fact that those pecky hooks and gaffs for hauling fish can puncture the tubes. The military and police and using foam filled tubes as they give the same boyancy as the air filled ones but they are a lot heavier. I was realing in a shark I caught off of Key West and when it was about 10 feet off the boat, I thought it wasn't a good idea to land it, so I cut it loose before it chomped on the tube.

As far as my recomendations go, RIBcraft is a good choice as well as the protector. I would also consider Nautica as they make a really nice 24 and 25' widebody rib which has a wider beam which makes fishing great if you go with the small t-top. I have a guy there I can connect you with if you send me your contact info to rib4charter@yahoo.com
Old 11 July 2008, 00:38   #4

Offshore Fishing RIB

The reason I want a T-top is , It gets really hot down here in the Bahamas and I need a place to hold big rods and reels.
Has anyone seen one with out riggers installed

Glenn
Old 11 July 2008, 02:37   #5

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: White Chocolate
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP, 3.3 HP Merc
MMSI: 338079539
Send a message via MSN to PacificNWrib
Glenn,

Welcome to RIB.net! My RIB is much, much smaller and I do not hesitate fishing with it. Even with a prickly sided sturgeon on the line.

Here are some ideas for you. I was in Cabo in December fishing for Marlin and Mahi Mahi and there were a couple of RIBs out there fishing with us. I was on a 32 foot charter and the ones I saw where around the 19 foot range. They had no problem handling the warm swells off of the Baja peninsula.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB8.4VST.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	36246   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV8.4VST2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	36247   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV7.25VST.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	36248  

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
PacificNWrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2008, 04:56   #6

Offshore Fishing RIB

WOW!!
I like all of them. The one at the top even has out riggers on it. Do you know the make?
Glenn
Old 11 July 2008, 11:07   #7

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57guy View Post
My wife and I cruise the Bahamas
Not in the slightest bit jealous
Old 11 July 2008, 11:28   #8

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Not in the slightest bit jealous
Thinking the same thing - good job Mr57 didn't come on here looking for sympathy - I think most of us would find it a little tough! Good luck in the search for a RIB!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2008, 11:50   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Thinking the same thing - good job Mr57 didn't come on here looking for sympathy - I think most of us would find it a little tough! Good luck in the search for a RIB!

Yes-good luck in your search Mr57

I'd have far more sympathy however if a free holiday was on offer

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2008, 19:21   #10

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
The outriggers and rod holders can all be all custom made to fit your t-top style. My suggestion is that when you find the boat builder, you work with him to customize a rod and outrigger set that suits you best.
Old 13 July 2008, 07:20   #11

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
T Top and Outriggers

T Top is definitely the way to go if you intend to do lots of fishing. A Frames do really get in the way when trolling or spinning.

Your best approach would be to try a few different hulls if possible for the sea handling characteristics /size etc and once decided then speak to the builder who will easily be able to install a custom console / T Top and leaning post as required to your specification.

Many of these are available from places like www.basspro.com or www.alltackle.com in the US. Alltackle also do every type of outrigger imaginable that can be mounted onto rails, rod holders, deck etc etc.

Landing large fish should not be a problem as you can have a large plastic drum cut down to sit over a tube for you to drag fish onboard over as we do with a bag full of scallops that have razor sharp edges. However, once the fish are onboard that may give you another problem??

Good Luck with the fishing and boat search.

The biggest fish we get round here are Tope to 50lb or the odd Porbeagle to about 250lb.
Old 14 July 2008, 17:13   #12

WOW!!
I like all of them. The one at the top even has out riggers on it. Do you know the make?
Glenn

These are made by AB. But there are a lot of other RIBs out there like the others have mentioned. If you do find one and you need a top, you can check out Atlantic Towers.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/at_sub/products_ss_t.html

Good luck!

JB

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
Old 16 July 2008, 02:48   #13

Offshore Fishing

Enwulff
I notice you have your 22 ft Nautica wide body for sale. Why are you selling it and how does the Nautica wide body compare to a RIBCraft 6.8 off shore.
Thanks
glenn
Old 16 July 2008, 17:59   #14

Offshore Fishing

I don't plan to catch that big of fish that I have to worry about them being in the boat. I was talking to a friend last night and when he heard that I was interested in a RIB, he told me about the one he bought and how much he loved it. Its made by Titan Boats and instead of fiberglass bottom, its made of Aluminum. He said his is much lighter that it would be if made out of fiberglass.

Has anyone had experience with both?

If I'm towing, it make sense to have the boat as light as possable if it has the same stability and riding qualities.
Glenn
Old 16 July 2008, 19:27   #15

Polaris has some models with the aluminum hull.

http://www.polarisboats.com/p/aluminum_hull/neptune.htm

I am not familiar with Titan RIBS. I know Captn. Jack has a Polaris and he uses it in the the Puget Sound region (my old stomping grounds).

But I am not sure around your part of the world. Even though, I will be in Orlando for 12 days at the end of this month.

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
Old 17 July 2008, 15:14   #16

Offshore Fishing

Just got off the Phone with the marketing Dept. of AB inflatables which makes Aluminum and fiberglass RIB bottoms.
The gentleman seems to have a lot of knowledge about both and said like everything else in life, each has tradeoffs.
The aluminum is made for places like the NorthWest that has a lot of rocks on the bottom and shore. The aluminum will hold up better that fiberglass and is a lot lighter. It can use smaller motors and obtain the same speed at less fuel cost.
However, If you plan to ride in ruff, choppy water, the fiberglass will give you a lot better ride. It will cut thru the waves better since it weights more.

In my case, he recommended a fiberglass RIB.

My only decision now is , do I get a commerical high end grade that will last a lifetime or a consumer dingy.
Glenn
Old 18 July 2008, 04:29   #17

Town: near baton rouge
Make: avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp etec
how many fisherman? ive got seating for 6, fishing space for 3, maybe 4 if the 4th doesnt fish in a 5.4m searider. t-top center console...
Old 25 July 2008, 19:44   #18

Town: New York City
Boat name: Liverbird
Make: Caribe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
T-Tops

Hi I read your post and thought you may want to see my rib with a custom made T-Top. Now that it has been installed for a few months ,I absolutely love it and would have one fitted on any future ribs. ( However I would not purchase from the same company who I bought this T-Top from (Atlantic Towers) .There are certainly many advantages of having the T-Top on i.e. storage, better visibility by others, sun protection I even think that the shape of this one actually helps me get on plane quicker as the shape of the front of the top actually pulls the bow down.
Old 21 August 2008, 21:37   #19

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57guy View Post
Enwulff
I notice you have your 22 ft Nautica wide body for sale. Why are you selling it and how does the Nautica wide body compare to a RIBCraft 6.8 off shore.
Thanks
glenn
Hi 57guy,

The ribcraft 68 off shore is an impressive boat for it's size - I had the pleasure of test driving one with the guys at Ribcraft. I've also spent time on the nautica 22 widebody - no comparison. The Nautica doesn't have nearly the usable deck space, particularly beam, compared to the ribcraft. And the nautica is not built nearly the same - you can see, feel, and even hear the difference between the two.

Ribcraft makes an excellent boat and their service is exceptional. Let me know if you have any more questions about them.

Good luck!
Old 03 September 2008, 23:26   #20

Ordered new RIb Today

After several weeks of searching for the type of RIB I wanted and one that would best fit my needs, I ordered a RibCraft 6.8 this morning.

I had it narrowed down to a Nautica 24 ft wide body and the RibCraft. Even though I think the Nautica has better fit and polish, I liked the fact that the Ribcraft is one foot wider on the inside of the tubes and over two feet more usable room lengthwise. I wanted a fishbox (cooler) in the rear in front of the motors and Nautica could not provide it.

The only thing I'm losing is the side fold down door that Nautica has, which is nice.

Will be delivered mid Nov. LOOKOUT FISH

57Guy