Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
Tomas,

Do boats age faster in the tropics?

What do you think of the caribe brand?

Zip
According to a boat rental company in BVI , inflatables age faster than in other regions, because have more sun hours all year round, have experienced the power of sun myself, the use of higher SPF sun block is a must.

Have not seen a single PVC rib what so ever, according to local rentals seems they last only 3 years of constant use. Most of the ribs seen around are well reputed and constructed hypalon Caribe and ABS 12" ribs. Maybe a price factor (Venezuelan build and factory proximity) compared to other rib manufacturers.

Happy Boating
Old 12 April 2008, 04:32   #22

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: 19VST
Make: AB
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130HP Honda
Quote:
I am looking to purchase my first rib.

I am looking for a used 14'.

I have been told that in this size, the Zodiac is the entry level boat, Caribe and Avon would be next, folowed by Novurania, and with the Nautica being the top of the line.
Depends on the Zodiacs. The better Zodiacs are the military ones but Zodiac keeps pushing the other PVC stuff for the consumer models (on the "pro/mil" models, my wife isn't keen on jockey seats with machine gun holders :-) I'm a hypalon guy (like the military and pro folks).

The Avon were, IMHO, the best RIBs out there. My first was a 20 old Avon 4M and I wish I had a magic ray gun to make it bigger and with better seats. Great boat - solid even as a classic/legacy boat.

On the consumer side, I think that Novurania is #1 and Nautica is #2 (at least from what I've seen in resale value). The Avons just aren't common in North America and the consumer grade ones (like the Adventures) aren't common or proven (at least from I could find). The NADA/resell pricing on them is amazingly low - can't explain that....

The Caribe and ABs are interesting but the jury is still out on them. It all depends on what happens over the next 5-10 years. They have hypalon tubes (similar to Novurania, Nautica and pro/mil Zodiac/Avon) but I don't think I would classify them as top tier (but I'm not sure).... I've got a Caribe and I love it but don't know if I'll love it when it turns 20, like my Avon....

Go with a brand name Hypalon and also worry about the model of the motor. I'm a Yamaha/Honda biggot. Get compression check and maintain them. Rinse them religiously if you use them in salt water (you need to rinse the boat so it's no big deal)
Old 12 April 2008, 14:39   #23

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I need my cup holders, stereo, onboard capucccino makers, and other essential creature comforts.
I'll bet... I'm trying to figure out how to fit a keg into mine!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 00:47   #24

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I'll bet... I'm trying to figure out how to fit a keg into mine!
That's easy. Suspend it from the arch at the stern, so you can have gravity feed.
Old 13 April 2008, 03:56   #25

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Tomas,

Do boats age faster in the tropics?

What do you think of the caribe brand?

Zip
Cheap boats age VERY fast, good boats last. I left a frisbee in my yard and all the pigment was gone in days. Exposed Naugahyde bakes and cracks in six months or less. My Hypalon ala Avon is ten years old and good like hard wood.

It's late and I first ready your question, "Do boats go faster in the tropics?" I was going to answer, "only when being chased"

Caribes are sold around here and they are just OK in my book. I don't like it much when I see three on display at the marina and they are all looking kinda limp after only a few days inflated! They tend to be dingy/yacht tender type of units. I don't like the squared off bow section and at rest with no flooding hull they cork around in a chop like nobody's business. (What comment would you expect from an Avon Owner) I think they sell a lot of bulk units to the large yacht charter companies for dingys. We pulled one off the rocks at East End Bay, it had broken lose from a charter boat given the number painted on the hull, and sold it for $500. That was the best Caribe I ever saw....lotta beer money there!

I've been in the ocean, sorry about the delayed response.

Tomas
Old 13 April 2008, 04:05   #26

Tin foil stove!

Man, that stove looks like quite the light weight trick. Why do I have this image of a roaring stove beneath aluminum poles with shards of burned smoking canvas hanging from them? At least canvas doesn't stink as bad as synthetics when it goes off. With that furnace blasting, a guy with a case or so of beer on board might sleep through the fire and never know anything had happened until he awoke for a piss and saw stars.

Do they make one that does air conditioning
Old 13 April 2008, 12:48   #27

These pictures should help clarify the appropriate use of the folding stainless steel (not tin foil!) stove. There is a fiberglass cloth port in the part of the shelter where the stovepipe protrudes so that the shelter doesn't go up in flames. Also, two cinder screens at the base of the stove prevent sparks from flying out of the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WB.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	34001   Click image for larger version

Name:	22633850GZzDoJYOLB_ph.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	34002   Click image for larger version

Name:	badger-holedns.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	34003   Click image for larger version

Name:	sheep%20campdns.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	34004  
Old 13 April 2008, 14:57   #28

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
That's easy. Suspend it from the arch at the stern, so you can have gravity feed.
It's the shaking around bit I can't resolve. I wouldn't normally say this, but there such a thing as too much head!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 13:28   #29

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: White Chocolate
Make: AB
Engine: 50 HP, 3.3 HP Merc
MMSI: 338079539
Send a message via MSN to PacificNWrib
My 14' AB has done pretty well so far.... I think the hypalon tubes have a ten year warranty. So far the boat is 7 years old and show no signs fabric fatigue.

This was yesterday on the Big C!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mat & john.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	34022  

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
PacificNWrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 22:53   #30

Quote:
These pictures should help clarify the appropriate use of the folding stainless steel (not tin foil!) stove.
Tuber, my tin foil comment was in with tongue in cheek. All the stoves I was ever around were 1/4 steel plate or 3/4 thick cast iron; yours is foil compared to that! The knock down on that one is pretty clever.....

Tomas
Old 15 April 2008, 00:25   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Tuber, my tin foil comment was in with tongue in cheek. All the stoves I was ever around were 1/4 steel plate or 3/4 thick cast iron; yours is foil compared to that! The knock down on that one is pretty clever.....

Tomas
Yep, those are the sort of wood stoves I'm used to as well. This one has these thin walls that bend and move around quite a bit when it is burning red hot, and it seems like it's going to burn through, but just keeps on going!There are some of these units that have had over a thousand burnings and they're no worse for the wear. (has a lifetime warranty )
Old 26 January 2014, 06:12   #32

Tubes

I Have recently bought a 15' Novurania and the tubes hold air but are sun damaged, does any one know where i would be able to get a new set in canada or the US? for a reasonable price?