Originally Posted by zip
I still have not taken delivery, so not sure what i'm going to do. should know more in a week.
Here's what you should do:
1. Get the kill cord switch.
2. Always clip the kill cord switch with a carabiner to either the back of your belt, or to the back, bottom of your PFD, and not to your wrist or ankle (no wonder why so many people inadvertently trigger the kill switch)!
3. Never, ever, ever tether in to a powerboat if you are not using a kill cord!!!
If you are solo, tethered into a powerboat with no kill cord and go overboard at speed, it would be extremely unlikely that you would survive.
3. Make sure your console has an EGT gauge, and allow the EGTs to cool down to 350 F or lower before shutting down the engine (only takes about 20-30 seconds at idle even after running it hard.
4. Use full synthetic diesel engine oil. Synthetic oil is far less likely to coke on hot turbo bearings if the engine is suddenly shut off without a cool down.
5. Always remember that it is far easier to replace cooked turbo bearings or even the whole center unit than it is to replace a human life (especially your own).