Old 21 September 2016, 06:56   #1

Newbie Here, Are Lifeproof Boats OK For Leisure?

I'm really hoping to be in the market within a year or two. I fell in love with Life Proof Boats, and through some research and first hand account with someone who worked with the Company in reassured of the quality and workmanship of their products. However, I was told I would not enjoy the boat "taking the wife and kids out". Is this true? I understand the finishes aren't as "nice" on the outside appearance as some luxury boats, but I don't understand why some would think that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, and I really want a rib boat for light fishing, general leisure, general sport riding, and light off-shore capabilities.

Old 21 September 2016, 07:23   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 100hp
I would go talk to Triad Marine. They're the dominant force for RIBs in Texas.

Old 21 September 2016, 07:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I would go talk to Triad Marine. They're the dominant force for RIBs in Texas.
Yeah I've been lookin at their site and they aren't too far from me but I'm not ready to actually visit any dealers. There is still so much I don't know, I've never owned a boat, etc. I'm just starting all my research and I fell in love with the rib Boats with a cabin
Old 21 September 2016, 07:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaberib View Post
Yeah I've been lookin at their site and they aren't too far from me but I'm not ready to actually visit any dealers. There is still so much I don't know, I've never owned a boat, etc. I'm just starting all my research and I fell in love with the rib Boats with a cabin
You mean a pilothouse? You doom yourself to requiring air conditioning all the time and you'd lose the mobility requirements for fishing.

Nonetheless, it'd be worth nurturing a relationship with the locals...they're who you'll need if you ever needed a large repair.

When shopping, I would not recommend polyurethane or PVC material in your state. You're too close to the equator and the longevity will be very short. Stick with elastomer coated fabrics, Hypalon/CSM/NEO. They're also a lot easier to repair than plastomer coated fabrics...very much like doing a tire patch.
Old 21 September 2016, 08:57   #5

Quote:
You mean a pilothouse? You doom yourself to requiring air conditioning all the time and you'd lose the mobility requirements for fishing.

Nonetheless, it'd be worth nurturing a relationship with the locals...they're who you'll need if you ever needed a large repair.

When shopping, I would not recommend polyurethane or PVC material in your state. You're too close to the equator and the longevity will be very short. Stick with elastomer coated fabrics, Hypalon/CSM/NEO. They're also a lot easier to repair than plastomer coated fabrics...very much like doing a tire patch.
Thanks for the advice. When I say "cabin" I'm just referring to the ability to sleep two for an overnight stay, like pictured in most of the Life Proof boats. I'll direct more of my research in the material you've mentioned.
Old 21 September 2016, 10:26   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. When I say "cabin" I'm just referring to the ability to sleep two for an overnight stay, like pictured in most of the Life Proof boats. I'll direct more of my research in the material you've mentioned.
The only "off-the-shelf" RIB i know of with a cuddy is the Zodiac NZO 700 Cabin. It's a traditional fiberglass boat with Hypalon/CSM/NEO tubes, rather than an aluminum hull.

The most comparable product on the market are SAFE boats and they have a harsher ride compared to similar traditional leisure RIBs...at least the "Defender-class" anyways.
Old 21 September 2016, 10:31   #7

Quote:
The only "off-the-shelf" RIB i know of with a cuddy is the Zodiac NZO 700 Cabin. It's a traditional fiberglass boat with Hypalon/CSM/NEO tubes, rather than an aluminum hull.

The most comparable product on the market are SAFE boats and they have a harsher ride compared to similar traditional leisure RIBs.
Yeah I've been looking at the NZOs. I like them, but still prefer the looks of the life proof, safeboat, etc. Does the aluminum hull change the ride, or will the seating setup do that?
Old 21 September 2016, 10:36   #8

Quote:
Yeah I've been looking at the NZOs. I like them, but still prefer the looks of the life proof, safeboat, etc. Does the aluminum hull change the ride, or will the seating setup do that?
Pretty much everything will change the ride quality and rough water handling. Hull geometry is a huge field of engineering for planing boats.

These are all $100k+ boats... I'd go to FLIBs (Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show) this year and take advantage of some test rides before making a huge financial commitment on something.
Old 21 September 2016, 10:46   #9

Quote:
Pretty much everything will change the ride quality and rough water handling. Hull geometry is a huge field of engineering for planing boats.

These are all $100k+ boats... I'd go to FLIBs (Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show) this year and take advantage of some test rides before making a huge financial commitment on something.
Yes I definitely plan on visiting dealers, test riding, etc., as I get closer to acquisition time. In the meantime I'm going to keep doing research.

How realistic is buying a european manufactured boat and shipping it to the states? Would shipping costs completely kill it? Mfgs like Technohull, Goldfish, and Scorpion to name a few have some really nice looking boats.
Old 21 September 2016, 12:54   #10
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Yes I definitely plan on visiting dealers, test riding, etc., as I get closer to acquisition time. In the meantime I'm going to keep doing research.

How realistic is buying a european manufactured boat and shipping it to the states? Would shipping costs completely kill it? Mfgs like Technohull, Goldfish, and Scorpion to name a few have some really nice looking boats.
Very easy as we ship our big ribs on a 40' flat open container. Not so long ago we shipped a 10 mtr open rib to the Bahamas so to the US it is a doddle . We ship from Gdynia Poland just do some research on freight charges at your end. Be brave and get yourself a European made rib you cannot go wrong.
In Europe we know to make RIBS both open and cabin ones.
The best European ribs are made in the Poland, UK and Holland. Some here may not agree to that order but that is my view.
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote