Old 11 April 2007, 16:41   #1

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
New Ribcraft 585 (Stateside)

I took my first RIB out for the maiden voyage / test drive last week. A bit nippy out, but she sure rode beautifully. Can't wait to get through the break-in period and for the temps to get back into the 50's to start enjoying her.

I've been a lurker for a while on this site and have found it to be most useful (and entertaining). Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smallpic1.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	26102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smallpic2.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	26103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smallpic3.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	26104  
Old 12 April 2007, 02:37   #2

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Holy Smokes! Another 'header, right here on RIBnet!! Bit nippy for a ride today.

But next time, if you want a companion, let me know, I'll meet you at Riverhead. You know about the ramp at Little Harbor, by MH Lobster, right? Can be used at all tides, unlike Riverhead.

Nice boat. Don't get busted for speeding in the harbor!

I think I see a RIBnet Northeast USA cruise out of Marblehead this summer...
Old 12 April 2007, 02:43   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
RIBs seem to be breeding at last on the other side of the pond - welcome to Ribnet - great boat!!!
Old 12 April 2007, 04:30   #4

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
welcome

Its nice to have some more people interested in ribs around here, I am fair game for a ride, there are some great spots around here, hopeing to see some of them this year
Old 12 April 2007, 11:32   #5

Thanks guys. I consider myself primarily a sailor, so buying a plastic center console boat was right out. Test drove a couple Ribcrafts as they are made locally, and knew right away I had to have one. I'm going to use it to commute to work in Boston in good weather, so wanted something seaworthy and somewhat fuel efficient. Hopefully the popularity of RIBs continues to grow around here.

dct and ltf - Clearly we'll have to meet up this summer, after I learn how to handle her.
Old 12 April 2007, 14:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtStPipier View Post
Thanks guys. I consider myself primarily a sailor, so buying a plastic center console boat was right out. Test drove a couple Ribcrafts as they are made locally, and knew right away I had to have one. I'm going to use it to commute to work in Boston in good weather, so wanted something seaworthy and somewhat fuel efficient. Hopefully the popularity of RIBs continues to grow around here.

dct and ltf - Clearly we'll have to meet up this summer, after I learn how to handle her.
My wife and I are primarily sailors too, she's on her second Paralympic sailing campaign right now. Our Searider is primarily used as a coachboat for her campaign. I think sailors are smarter than most stinkpotters, that's why we're drawn to the functionality of RIBs. What do you have for a sailboat? Do any racing?

She's waiting for me to drive down to FL the end of the month to pick up our RIB, so she can use it to commute to her job at Piers Park Sailing Center in East Boston. Maybe you two can "boatpool"! I'm not sure that commuting by RIB will be any faster or more efficient that driving to Boston, but it'll certainly be a lot more fun! We don't have a dock or even a mooring in Marblehead, so that adds to the complexity of the concept.

We're going to be taking a couple of trips out to Stellwagen to visit the whales once the weather gets a bit better. It never occurred to us to do that until we sailed through the area by accident last year on out way to P-Town. Would be nice to have another boat along for at least the first trip out.
Old 12 April 2007, 14:06   #7

Quote:

What do you mean - "good weather"? You will be amazed what it can cope with in bad weather as well....
Old 12 April 2007, 14:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What do you mean - "good weather"? You will be amazed what it can cope with in bad weather as well....
Yes, but do you really want to get cold and wet on your way to work?? Or arrive in foulies or a drysuit?
Old 12 April 2007, 14:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
Yes, but do you really want to get cold and wet on your way to work?? Or arrive in foulies or a drysuit?
I suppose it depends where you work - a woman I know spends all day in a rubber suit......
Old 12 April 2007, 14:40   #10

Rubber suit

Quote:
I suppose it depends where you work - a woman I know spends all day in a rubber suit......
Codders - I don't even know where to go with this
Old 12 April 2007, 14:47   #11

Quote:
My wife and I are primarily sailors too, she's on her second Paralympic sailing campaign right now. Our Searider is primarily used as a coachboat for her campaign. I think sailors are smarter than most stinkpotters, that's why we're drawn to the functionality of RIBs. What do you have for a sailboat? Do any racing?
Oh, I think I've read about your wife, Maureen? You guys race a Sonar? I bought a Colgate 26 two years ago. I race PHRF and one-design. I'm usually at the back of the fleet, but am getting better. Chose the Colgate over the Sonar as it's a bit more kid friendly and it has an outboard.

Quote:
She's waiting for me to drive down to FL the end of the month to pick up our RIB, so she can use it to commute to her job at Piers Park Sailing Center in East Boston. Maybe you two can "boatpool"! I'm not sure that commuting by RIB will be any faster or more efficient that driving to Boston, but it'll certainly be a lot more fun! We don't have a dock or even a mooring in Marblehead, so that adds to the complexity of the concept.
I'm still 10 years away from a mooring in MHD main harbor. Have one on the West Shore for 'Cebu' and will keep the RIB in a slip at Hawthorne Cove. Not ideal, but...

Quote:
We're going to be taking a couple of trips out to Stellwagen to visit the whales once the weather gets a bit better. It never occurred to us to do that until we sailed through the area by accident last year on out way to P-Town. Would be nice to have another boat along for at least the first trip out.
Count me in!
Old 18 April 2007, 03:32   #12

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
another new england ribber

Hi All,

Good to see some company in ct/mass/ri. I've had a rib since 1992, so it's about time! That was a custom built 18ft ARC, made in Newport RI. Great boat! Last year decided it was time to get something a little bigger and newer.
After looking around and an on the water sea trial in Marblehead, I decided on a Ribcraft 6.5. I you look on ribcraft's web site, the blue with grey rub strake 210 is mine.
So far the rig is quite nice. I'd be interested in a local ribathon if others are interested.

Bill
Old 18 April 2007, 10:34   #13

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
count hew hampshire in

Around here the only ribs are coast guard and marine patrol and they do not want to play. Marblehead really is not far from portsmouth "as a fish swims"
Old 18 April 2007, 13:59   #14

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Same here in CT. My older rib was grey, so it looked like some kind of "official" boat, I can't tell you how many people thought it was. Back then no one could imagine anyone with such a boat. Now people look at it in wonder, but tend to think it's cool. The reaction when I pass a boat that is cruising is always interesting. The thought of being passed by a "rubber boat"!
Old 19 April 2007, 13:19   #15

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
power or sail

O.K. lets not get started....
C'mon Dc, we ALL know you love your rib best, just don't tell your wife...
Old 19 April 2007, 14:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post

O.K. lets not get started....
C'mon Dc, we ALL know you love your rib best, just don't tell your wife...
Sorry, no... I'd rather be racing a Viper640 (my current favorite boat), J/24 or Sonar, or cruising with the family on our little 25' sailboat. The RIB is great fun for blasting about though, and my 7 y.o. daughter prefers the RIB. I am looking forward to scooting 15 miles offshore to visit the whales a few times in the RIB this summer. Never would have thought of doing that, if we hadn't sailed through Stellwagen Bank on our 25' cruisey sailboat, on our way to Provincetown for a weekend.

Different tools for different needs. In either case, being on the water is what it's all about!! Best of both worlds I waste time here, but much more on SailingAnarchy.com

Hmmm... Whale watch... the first Mass Bay RIBnet rally? I may not have my boat back from FL until Memorial Day weekend, so how about June 9th? (weather dependent, of course). I have a local J/24 regatta the following weekend (Father's Day).
Old 19 April 2007, 14:21   #17

MassBay Ribnet Rally

June 9th works for me. Have to brush up on the regs regarding whales at Stellwagen...
Old 19 April 2007, 15:40   #18

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
want to see whales

It would be fun for a bunch of us to get our boats together, How far offshore do you have to go. marble head is about an hour away and not a bad ride. If I am free Id love to join you. I will keep looking and stay in touch.
Old 19 April 2007, 16:01   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
June 9th works for me. Have to brush up on the regs regarding whales at Stellwagen...

http://stellwagen.noaa.gov/visit/wha...uidelines.html

jky
Old 19 April 2007, 16:08   #20

Thanks jky! I shall laminate a copy and keep them handy.