Old 22 August 2008, 23:54   #1

Town: Baltimore, MD
Make: Apex A-19
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
New RIB Owner Trailer Advice

Proud new owner of Apex A-19 as of today.

General question about trailers - with a RIB do you usually end up with a larger capacity trailer that far exceeds the actual weight of the boat in order to accommodate the length?

The guys at the local trailer shop (which is very well respected in my area) are telling me I need a 2600lb capacity trailer to fit my boat which is 18'8" loa, 16'-ish from bow eye to transom, and weighs right around 1260lbs max weight (I filled the gas tank and then weighed it on a truck scale while bringing it home today). Does that trailer sizing sound right?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 23 August 2008, 00:18   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Is that 2600lb capacity or weight of the whole rig including trailer?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 00:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Is that 2600lb capacity or weight of the whole rig including trailer?
That's load capacity.
Old 23 August 2008, 02:50   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-more Andy View Post
That's load capacity.
No it does not sound right. Your need a 1200-1500lb capacity trailer, single axle at most.
You are probably correct they are basing it on length
I think you were talking to a con man. Tell him and go somewhere else.
Old 23 August 2008, 08:47   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I would imagine that they have a range of trailers (like others do) which are rated at specific loads verses length. Don't forget that you're not buying a trailer for you specific needs, the trailer models on offer must offer carrying capacities for a whole range of boats, not just RIBs.

So yes it might be over rated for your application, but that's a good thing isn't it (apart from the price)?

Is the RIB fully kitted out with all the things you are likely to carry for a normal days boating, you'd be surprised on how quikly weight can mount up?

If you're still suspect of this trailer supplier then phone a few others up to ask advice. Speak with Apex and ask them what they use. What is the law regarding braked trailers, is there a limit at which they become compulsory like in the UK (750kgs) as this might affect your trailer choice.

Hope some of this helps.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 11:51   #6

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Engine: Yam115
An over rated trailer is not a good choice since you'll constantly feel like your pulling an empty trailer which will bounce all over. My YachtClub trailer is all bolted together and not welded, the trailer is of proper dimensions for my Rib and the axle was chosen as per proper load capacity. To top it off the axle can be moved forward or backwards for precise balancing of the load. Remember, you should only be carrying 10% of the weight on the vehicle. I have been towing for years with big trucks here in Canada pulling up to 8,000 lbs at times and always straight inline.

Hope this helps a little.

John
Old 23 August 2008, 13:15   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
...Remember, you should only be carrying 10% of the weight on the vehicle. ...
Errr?
Old 23 August 2008, 15:50   #8

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Quote:

Errr?
Simple, your tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of the total trailered weight. That being said the way your weight is balanced on the trailer plays a significant role on how your ride will perform.

I have no issues since my vehicle is a GMC Suburban pulling a Bombard Explorer 600 with a 2-stroke 115 yam. I donèt even feel it and on occassion must look in the mirrors to make certain the boat is still behind me. LOLL
Old 24 August 2008, 05:41   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
7 to 10% is recommended. Too light and the trailer my sway; too heavy and you're introducing too much squat on the tow vehicle, and may affect handling by unloading the front wheels (though you'd probably never get there with a RIB.)

I think Hightower is probably right; they have pre-built (or at least pre-designed) trailers they sell. But the difference that Rigaud is talking about can be corrected by changing springs.

jky
Old 24 August 2008, 14:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Is the RIB fully kitted out with all the things you are likely to carry for a normal days boating, you'd be surprised on how quikly weight can mount up?
Hightower,

I weighed the boat with all of the gear on board and with a full tank of gas figuring that would be the max weight that would ever be on the trailer.

Andy
Old 24 August 2008, 14:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
An over rated trailer is not a good choice since you'll constantly feel like your pulling an empty trailer which will bounce all over.
John,

Can you clarify this a little?

Andy
Old 24 August 2008, 14:51   #12

Town: Fareham
I would still phone around and see if there is a trailer manufacturer that can supply you with something more matched to your set-up.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2008, 23:02   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
I would reccommend either of those two trailer manufacturers, Cheesee is on a trailer from Karavan which I have had for two years without a single problem.

We also sell trailers from Shoreland´r and again very good trailers, we only take them galvanised and trailers with brakes we take them with hydraulic surge disc brakes.

http://karavantrailers.com/boat.cfm
http://www.shorelandr.com/

Bogi
Old 26 August 2008, 09:12   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
How would you know
Old 26 August 2008, 15:23   #15

Quote:
John,
Can you clarify this a little?
Andy
I think what he meant was that the springs would likely be overrated for the load, and hardly compressed when the trailer is loaded. Hitting bumps in that situation doesn't really compress the springs (absorb the shock) so the trailer and boat tend to act as if there is no suspension, and bounces a lot.

Problem? Could be, but I would not rate it as a major concern. You can either get used to it, or change to a lighter rated spring set. Or, I suppose, add weight to the boat (just kidding.)

jky
Old 26 August 2008, 15:28   #16

Quote:
Hightower,

I weighed the boat with all of the gear on board and with a full tank of gas figuring that would be the max weight that would ever be on the trailer.

Andy

Don't forget to add in weight of water after a day of splashing around (soak all the gear and toss some water in the bilge.) Sitting and collecting rainwater will add a lot of weight as well, unless it's stored to keep rainwater out or drain it off. It's not just while you're pulling that the trailer sees the boats weight.

Personally, I'd figure max anticipated weight (fuel, gear, excess water, etc) times one and a quarter or so. Better to run the trailer too light than too heavy.

jky
Old 27 August 2008, 23:18   #17

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
I don't think you can ever go over on a trailer with in reason. If you go with a torsion axle being 1K over on that vessel I would say is about right. I think you would be very happy with that trailer. unless you are a diver then i would go 2K over for dive gear.
Old 28 August 2008, 07:10   #18

I tend not to carry much dive gear in the boat. Too hard to adjust weight to keep the tongue weight anywhere near correct.

Just me, though.

jky
Old 03 September 2008, 12:20   #19

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
I don't think you can ever go over on a trailer with in reason. If you go with a torsion axle being 1K over on that vessel I would say is about right. I think you would be very happy with that trailer. unless you are a diver then i would go 2K over for dive gear.
When I got my trailer years ago, I though it was overkill, but it has turned out to be anything but. While the weight rating is well within the rating... even with fuel (180 litres), dive gear (2 sets of doubles, stages, suits etc.) and miscellaneous garbage... I find the trailer just "settles" nicely when the boat is loaded up.

But, over time, the axle still flattened out and I was getting uneven tire wear. As a result, I make sure that I put the whole rig up on stands when I store it for the winter or even long periods of time during the summer.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2008, 16:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
But, over time, the axle still flattened out and I was getting uneven tire wear. As a result, I make sure that I put the whole rig up on stands when I store it for the winter or even long periods of time during the summer.
Not sure what you mean here.

The axle on my trailer is a section of rectangular box tubing mounted vertically. The axle sits on top of the leaf springs which have either end mounted to the trailer frame.

I haven't measured, but theoretically, for the wheels to get out of alignment, the axle would either have to slip on one side (causing the wheels to be off-line with the trailer centerline - not really all that uncommon), or the axle would need to bow (not impossible, but kind of unlikely.) For uneven tire wear, I would think it would have to bow quite a bit.

Something like a sagging spring would not do it, as the axle is still a rigid piece of steel between the tires. The load would sit unevenly (one side low), but tire alignment itself would be unaffected.

So, are you saying your axle is warping? If so, I'd definitely consider a replacement. Perhaps with a heavier rated axle (my boat is something less than a ton empty; I think my axle is rated at 6000#'s.)

jky