Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Not sure what you mean here.
My axle is a tube, and should have a camber to it... slightly curved up in the centre. When the trailer is loaded, this camber tends to flatten out. As I understand it, the camber is there to allow the tires to run flat... level... on their bottoms... when the trailer is loaded.

In my case, the camber has been squished out, so I was finding that after a season, the inside edges of my tires was wearing much too quickly as the axle actually took on a reverse camber if you will. Kinda like a "knock-kneed" kid might wear out the inside soles on his sneakers faster.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2008, 16:30   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Okay, I'll buy that. Does unloading allow the camber to return? If not, I'd say the axle was toast. And, possibly, not the greatest wearing equipment in the first place.

I was a little leery about the trailer supplied with my Polaris; it's made by Highliner in Delta, BC. As it turns out, it's a very rugged trailer. Probably, like they're trying to sell Andy, way overrated, but I'm quite pleased with it.

Now, if they could just make a swing-away jack that lasts longer than a season or two...

jky
Old 09 September 2008, 12:09   #23

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Does unloading allow the camber to return? If not, I'd say the axle was toast.
It's hard to tell, but I believe so. Since I started to store this thing using jacks under the frame over the winter, the tire wear hasn't been an issue, so I think it must have recovered to some extent. I'm also not trailing the boat as much as I used to so it's less of an issue...

I have been gradually replacing all of the bolts on the trailer as one sheared off a couple of weeks ago, almost punching a piece of 2" steel tubing through the hull! Mercifully, it stopped short and just nicked the gelcoat!

Having replaced the truck and engine in the last 12 months, I'm feeling a titch broke, but I have been thinking about a new trailer. I suppose they just get fatigued over time... Hate to see my toy bouncing down the highway!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote